darrenm

Overheating issues

Just curious about how hot it actually is in the plane or the jumpsuits. Do they breath? Can you jump in shorts? It will be 100+ throughout the summer here.

I'm new to this and looking forward to going through training but I have pretty serious overheating issues due to a stupid surgery I had.

Just would hate to pass out you know.

Thanks

If you jump in shorts or street clothes, make sure loose clothing is secure. Any bit of cloth that catches air will flop all over the place and possibly cover your handles. Main, reserve and cutaway. So consider wearing a long shirt that you can tuck all the way down inside your shorts and past your leg straps.

The other concern is road rash.

Jumpsuit is safer, but.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I'd be sure to mention this to your instructors! If you're serious about maybe passing out, that may be a serious problem :S

BTW I very much doubt you will be allowed to or will even want to jump in shorts at first; if you fall (and you probably will) it's gonna hurt more.... Personally I didn't think the SL student coveralls were too hot, but the AFF suits (FS suit) might be, depending on the material. Anyway go talk to your future instructor...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I find the planes to be hottest on the ground, during pile-in, taxi, and takeoff. In planes with roll-up doors, someone in back often keeps it slightly open with their foot for airflow. In 182s it's hell during pile-in (when the plane may have been baking in the sun for a while), not so bad during taxi (when the prop blows a lot of air in the door, and hell again on takeoff (when the door must be closed).

Of course, all this is talk about Western Washington in the Summer - where two weeks of 90+ F cripples all of us.

I'm about to get a summer RW suit made with extra-light material so I can have a decent compromise between coolness and smooth flying. Shorts and t-shirt feels lovely in the summer, but flies funny. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I jump in shorts and a t-shirt with no problem. I am in Florida so there is someone in shorts just about on every load. As stated above though, you will fall like a brick. If you are a big guy like me, you need a suit just to slow down enough to stay with the group. If I solo, I wear shorts a lot though, comfy.
Oz

First of all, for what ever skydive you're doing, dress for success. Otherwise you may not be apart of the skydive at all.

For me, I love wearing shorts/t-shirt on hop-n-pops or solos, very comfy, but that's not always an option, so let me give you a really good tip for hot weather.

Under Armor!

That stuff is the grand shizzle for keeping you cool under your jumpsuit!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have been in a packed KA in the middle of summer. Its not that bad for that long.

You have to consider how much the temperature drops once you start getting to altitude. We do like was mentioned before, untill its time to get up someone ussualy has the door proped open a bit to keep things cool.

I have jumped in a long sleeved shirt/sweat shirt with shorts before. I was working on sitflying though. You really have to dress for what you are doing though. It helps quite a bit especially when you are new (like me :ph34r:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I'm new to this and looking forward to going through training but I have pretty serious overheating issues due to a stupid surgery I had.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Definitely do your initial two dozen student dives in the springtime, while it is still cool out. Once you have those high psychological stress dives out of the way, you can relax and contemplate your physiological problem.

Once you have a few dozen jumps, and have stood up a bunch of landings, then you can make informed decions about jumping in shorts, etc.

Are you willing to say - on a public forum - which "stupid surgery" you had?