katzurki

Fatality in the Crimea

Today morning 10:20 AM Alexey Sayutin, of Engelsk, Russia, made a short delay slider-up cliff jump. The delay is estimated to have been 2 or 3 seconds. He experienced a 180 offheading, hit the cliff and slid down to the talus, receiving numerous injuries. Rapid revival efforts ensued to no avail. Alexey was pronounced dead an hour and a half later.

More relevant detail to be posted later.

BSBD.

:(

Please, no more.
My sympathies to the survivors, my thoughts are with you.

:(

this is not a good year!!!
symphaties to family and friends.
BSBD
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

The year is terrible. :(

Alexey had more than 2000 skydives. This was his 23rd BASE jump.

my condolance to family and freinds.

I know you will post info later but could you tell if this were a vented or unvented canopy?

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Today morning 10:20 AM Alexey Sayutin, of Engelsk, Russia, made a short delay slider-up cliff jump. The delay is estimated to have been 2 or 3 seconds. He experienced a 180 offheading, hit the cliff and slid down to the talus, receiving numerous injuries. Rapid revival efforts ensued to no avail. Alexey was pronounced dead an hour and a half later.

BSBD.

A slider-up, sub-terminal jump on an E is never a good idea, IMO.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

A slider-up, sub-terminal jump on an E is never a good idea, IMO.

Probably a good idea to wait for more info before drawing hasty conclusions.

RIP brother.

Jul.
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

fly free

sucks

we are getting near to the 100 mark..... lets not hit it this year please

It is in very poor taste that people should bash some one
that has just past on.
and given that I think it's tacky and childesh It is horrific

My prayer's go out to the family

and Ill see u on the other side brother
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Only the witnesses or the deceased jumper themselves really know the Facts on the accident. The 3 or less second delay was a good guess on the culprit though.
I really don't think he is being Bashed by zegeunerleben, jfk & kidwicked. Low air speed deployments with slider-up have been a Magnet for BASE jumpers eating walls and rock for years.
It was his 23rd BASE jump. That low # it's hard to do things right & live.

Two very important things should come out of incidents and fatalities.

Respect and sympathy for the person and their family and friends. No matter what the person was like.

Learnings from the mistakes that have/may have occured.

It is one thing to speculate what the actual specific circumstances were on that jump. You have to be careful in what you say happened in a particular circumstance. This is particularly the case if you do not have actual / first hand knowledge of the situation. There are legal / psychological / respect / etc reasons for this.

It does not hurt to talk about possibilities though. If someone else picks up from this thread that short delay slider up jumps do have a higher risk level and incident rate, and they think twice about doing it (especially on earlier jumps), that may actually prevent an incident/fatality in the future. And that is worth gold - especially for that person and their family.

When you have a discussion about something technical such as slider up short delay openings on its own, it does not carry much punch with newbies as it is not linked to any emotional event. When there is an emotional event attached, people tend to take a lot more notice. Unfortunately that is basic human psychology. Hence the value of the discussion - even if it distracts people from the original purpose of the thread.

That is what incident reporting is all about. That is why we should talk about possibilities. But we should also clearly explain and understand that some of this discussion may be linked to the person and actual event that the original thread is about.

Condolences to all involved. :(
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I really don't think he is being Bashed by zegeunerleben, jfk & kidwicked.

I was not bashing anyone, just saying that one should wait the complete information before trying to make any conclusion regarding that jump.

Jul.
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

The year is terrible.

Just wait until the summer really gets going. Call me pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're about to see the spike some have worried about for years.

Heya Jaap,
Anything in particular that makes you think so negatively, or just the dreaded gut feeling?

Heya Jaap,
Anything in particular that makes you think so negatively, or just the dreaded gut feeling?

More and more inexperienced jumpers attempting technical jumps, just my 0.02.
Memento Audere Semper

Tom you might want to take the tourghts about the future out of this tread? cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heya Jaap,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More and more inexperienced jumpers attempting technical jumps, just my 0.02.

I think your right and has been so for atleast 2 years by now..

Many new starts at this sport,some do it on their own hand,some learn a lesson whith people who might shouldnt teach,serval people dont have mentors..
And people progress really fast theese days..

I know i shouldnt speak too loud,i were one of them just a few years back,lucky i so far has survived,and only myself to blame for not doing things in a safer way..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

my condolance to family and freinds.

I know you will post info later but could you tell if this were a vented or unvented canopy?

It was his 2nd slider-up jump ever, he wore no helmet and no armor except kneepads. He jumped an old Russian canopy called Universal. While it is technically BASE specific, it is by no means state of the art. It was said to be unvented.

[inline lex.jpg]