frost

Corliss gets busted in NYC

Not replying to anyone in particular. But what Corliss attempted was stupid, plain and simple.

It's one thing to jump a tower, etc in the middle of nowhere, but NOT jump in a city with pedestrians below. If he would've had a mal, then not only him as a casulty but possibly an innocent person on the ground.

Damn I been thinking about this ESB jump all day at the job. I wish now that he had thought of some type of (Diversionary Tactic) choreographed out when he changed clothes and made the bathroom extraction & went for the fence. Some type of scuffle or argument of fake medical problem prearranged with accomplices to attract the Security and draw them away @ the moment of the exit attempt.
Man SOooooo Close but not able to step off. It's eating @ me as well as others im sure. So you know it got to be killing him.

Ever seen the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155267/

There is a scene where the authorities are waiting at the museum for Pierce Brosnan to show up and attempt a heist. Next thing you know, he is showing up on all of the security cameras. He has filled he building with dozens of doubles all made up and dressed exactly like himself with identical top hats and brief cases.

I think it might be fun to be a double.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well said. It seems there are far too many skydivers walking around with BASE rigs (and even numbers) these days.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

t's one thing to jump a tower, etc in the middle of nowhere, but NOT jump in a city with pedestrians below. If he would've had a mal, then not only him as a casulty but possibly an innocent person on the ground.

That's the risk of jumping buildings... what's your alternate suggestion?

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

That's the risk of jumping buildings... what's your alternate suggestion?

No alternate required. VFR direct.......comprende'?

I was just making a statement. An "opinion".... Like I said, I directed that at no one in particular......

get a clue... this thread (and this forum lately) is FULL of opinionated non-base jumping stupid motherfuckers... take your pussy-ass scared of The Edge whiny fuckingselves elsewhere...like the bonfire.. thank you have a nice day.

magot said it best.. "if you dont base jump then why are you posting in the base forum?" goodbye.

Not replying to anyone in particular. But what Corliss attempted was stupid, plain and simple.

It's one thing to jump a tower, etc in the middle of nowhere, but NOT jump in a city with pedestrians below. If he would've had a mal, then not only him as a casulty but possibly an innocent person on the ground.

You're getting a lot of interesting responses, but here's mine:

You skydive, right?

What happens if you bounce and hit someone on the dropzone? Not all the folks on all dropzones are skydivers--some are spectators or they have other business to do. And dropzones are usually on public airports, so what if the spot was bad, and you land on a student pilot?

Or maybe you fall into the prop of an airplane taking off or landing?

Not likely, right?

It's less likely that Jeb would've mal'd on that jump than you will do any of the above.

Your position is ill-thought because it means the end of all parachute jumping, not just base from a city building.

Finally, I don't think a base jumper has ever killed a bystander, but skydivers surely have.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

yeeahhhhhhh!

and you just sniveled in!

next!

Ok. that's funny...:D
Almost like saying... What you drove a car!? during rushhour traffic!!! you could have had your brakes go out and killed someone!
what? you went...skydiving?! ... What if your 'chute" didn't open and you landed on a cow?
Sorry, it's friday and i'm drunk...off to sleep...
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

magot said it best.. "if you dont base jump then why are you posting in the base forum?" goodbye.

this is a public forum and anyone can post. if you don't like it, start your own forum and only allow base jumpers to post. until that time i guess you are just going to have to deal with us non base-jumpers and our opinions.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

STUNT JUNKIES is commissioned by the Discovery Channel, produced by CBS Productions, and operates under the most stringent regulations to ensure the safety of the athletes participating as well as the production crew. The network requires its producers to obtain all the necessary permits and permissions from local authorities prior to filming. No one at the network had any knowledge of Jeb Corliss's activities at the Empire State Building. We are beyond disappointed at his serious lack of judgment and his reckless behavior. As such, Mr. Corliss will not be associated with any future Discovery Networks projects including future episodes of STUNT JUNKIES.

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

One question that has been bothering me ever since I learned about Jeb was how he affords his lifestyle.

Well Malibu should of been your first clue..:S It is one of the most expensive places to live...B|

Next clue ...living with parents... in Malibu...:)

It's called rich cool parents...:P

you gota love it....B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

It's OK for Jeb to daybalze the living crap out of anything he pleases but it's not OK for Felix to do his things and for Miles to jump off the railing!!!

Can you explain what lead you to this conclusion?

Tom, are you for real on this one?

The reason why I am pissed off is not because of the fact that Jeb attempted the jump (and too bad with all that commotion he did not make it) it's because when it comes to "BASE ethics" the community has different measures for different people. Please Tom, do some introspection on this one, and be honest with yourself...would have you felt differently if Miles, Shane, or Jimmy H attempted the jump? You know the answer.

PS
Jeb by the way has only one name in his BASE agenda and that name is Jeb...
Memento Audere Semper

Edited to add: Question has been answered...;) Thanks Robibird...;)

It's OK for Jeb to daybalze the living crap out of anything he pleases but it's not OK for Felix to do his things and for Miles to jump off the railing!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am curious to this also ... if the below is Base ethics ,then what does this mean?

Contact the Locals: Whether you are a new jumper just getting into the sport in your area, or a more experienced jumper who is traveling, the original rule of BASE ethics still applies.

When either side fails to live up to this tacit understanding, the system begins to break down, leading to political divisions, community bickering, and, eventually, less jumps for all of us.

I am not taking any sides but it seems there are amendments for certain Individuals....:S

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Tom, are you for real on this one?

The reason why I am pissed off is not because of the fact that Jeb attempted the jump (and too bad with all that commotion he did not make it) it's because when it comes to "BASE ethics" the community has different measures for different people. Please Tom, do some introspection on this one, and be honest with yourself...would have you felt differently if Miles, Shane, or Jimmy H attempted the jump? You know the answer.

PS

I'm not Tom, but I'll take a shot at it. First of all, I don't understand why anyone other than Jeb and crew really give a flying fuck about this whole thing.

There is a class of objects where the bust factor is so high that it is simply not possible to burn them because they are completely undesirable to all but a tiny handful of jumpers who want the jump and the notoriety that goes along with it. ESB is one of those objects. Even if it were legal I doubt I'd want to jump it so dayblaze away--it's open to all as far as i'm concerned.

To me jumping those objects is separate from regular BASE jumping. BASE ethics really don't apply. What *does* apply is human ethics. Are any of the ESB security people going to lose their jobs over this? As one poster pointed out, was he putting others at risk by attempting this jump?

I don't know, but questions like that apply to *anyone* attempting this type of jump.

I've never met Jeb, but if he has spent time mentoring others in this sport, and I have no idea whether he has or not, then that's a very unfair statement. For this jump, though, no doubt it was all about him.

When Thor Alex jumped all those buildings years ago, you could have easily said his BASE agenda was all about him. I met him in Norway at Kjerag. He definitely wasn't all about himself.

Walt

You present a different "logical" point of view. Point taken. I'm guessing my view was slightly tainted by an extremely large beer last night.....B|

Even if it were legal I doubt I'd want to jump it

Yes...yes. If it was legal then... WAIT WHAT?

Please...indulge me. Why wouldn't you want to jump it even if it was legal?

my comment is - bummer !!
...and that comment would apply to anyone who would try and end up caught like Jeb did.
Such object can't be classified as regular object nor the person who dare to jump can be blame for object burning...

Would be the best to stop all that big drama about it.
Jeb for sure knew the risk and the consequences and now he is dealing w this in the best way he can.
For those who attacking him for object burning I can only say that in few weeks or bit longer they will have a chance to try to jump... and probably will be stopped.
I wonder why no single base jumper who is so against Jeb haven't try to jumped since Thor...

Envy or jealousy, or?!
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

As such, Mr. Corliss will not be associated with any future Discovery Networks projects including future episodes of STUNT JUNKIES.

Looks like Jeb pulled a Lindsey Jacobellis. Sucks to be Jeb. You had it all right in front of you.:S

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.

OK, add some music from the Rolling Stones with Mick Jagger whailing "ya can't always jump what cha want... ya can't always jump what cha want..."
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

> I have seen it done many times in BASE
And you have seen VERY LUCKY jumpers too B| B| B|
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

Im not moron or an oxy.

What a great nugget!!!!! :D:D:D
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

You feeling like you're not the centre of attention anymore Jerry. Is that what's up? It's okay, if you want to share.

ian

hey, go easy on the boy. i seen his picture. he's kinda cute!;)

your probably right. so i just went out and burned my rigs, cuz now that BASE is ruined for me, who needs them? DAMN YOU JEB, DAMN YOU!!!