frost

Corliss gets busted in NYC

Discovery Dumps Corliss

By John Eggerton -- Broadcasting & Cable, 4/28/2006 3:38:00 PM

Discovery Channel has dumped Jeb Corliss from its Stunt Junkies series after the host tried, unsuccessfully, to jump from the Empire State Building.

In a statement released Friday, the company said: "We are beyond disappointed at his serious lack of judgment and his reckless behavior. As such, Mr. Corliss will not be associated with any future Discovery Networks projects including future episodes of Stunt Junkies."

The show, produced by CBS Productions, "operates under the most stringent regulations to ensure the safety of the athletes participating as well as the production crew," said the channel in a statement. "The network requires its producers to obtain all the necessary permits and permissions from local authorities prior to filming. No one at the network had any knowledge of Jeb Corliss's activities at the Empire State Building.

Corliss was attempting a "base jump" from the 86th floor observation deck of the Manhattan skyscraper.

He entered the building in a a rubber mask and a foam fat suit to diguise his parachute and video gear. Building staff had been tipped to the stunt and a guard grabbed Corliss’ leg as he climbed over a security fence before he could jump.

The stroy became national news fodder, with video of police extracting Corliss from his perch and some debate over whether he would have to pay for the piece of iron railing that was removed to get him--he had been handcuffed to the fence.--John M. Higgins contributed to this story.

Melodramatic, of melodrama.

Main Entry: melo·dra·ma
Pronunciation: 'me-l&-"drä-m&, -"dra-
Function: noun
Etymology: modification of French mélodrame, from Greek melos song + French drame drama, from Late Latin drama
1 a : a work (as a movie or play) characterized by extravagant theatricality and by the predominance of plot and physical action over characterization b : the genre of dramatic literature constituted by such works
2 : something resembling a melodrama or having a melodramatic quality
- melo·dra·ma·tist /"me-l&-'dra-m&-tist, -'drä-/ noun

You knew this is what i mean in my first thread but because you are looking for arguement you pick up on my bad english. It is probably the time of your red pants.

I have a feeling he thrives off bad days. Notice his smile in those police photos...it means something.

Like there was any question Discovery was gonna dump him. STUPID to think otherwise. Even if he'd made it, he would have been dumped.

Full disclosure: Discovery used to be a client. They no longer are ,and my above comments are from me and me alone.

There is a specific reason why ESB security is so much higher now than when it was last done in 1998. A couple years later, a man of middle eastern descent somehow smuggled an AK-47 to the observation deck. He shot and killed several people before turning it on himself. It turns out he that he was severely mentally ill.

Here's what I remember.

There was more than one security checkpoint and we went through several metal detectors. They also insisted that the camera be turned off as we were going through the halls, up the elevators, through more halls and up more elevators. (Part of the journey involved a staircase, because I remember a very speedy trip down it on the way out.)

The guy with the AK-47 must've done something really interesting to get it into the building, because I wasn't altogether certain we were going to make it to the top uncaught.

But security was there, right there, before they got off. The only difference is that when Thor Alex said "let go," the guy who had him let go and the rest of them backed right off.

I'm still trying to understand why these guys didn't let Jeb jump and then just nail him on the street. It would've been easier for everyone.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I was under the impression the the reason he was hired by The Discovery Channel as a host was his perceived lack of judgment and his historical reckless behavior.

I heard he went to central booking at 2:00am, any idea where he is now?

You knew this is what i mean in my first thread but because you are looking for arguement you pick up on my bad english.

I tried to tell you in as humorous a way as possible that you are wrong in your assessment of the site and the danger of a "tumbled exit" from the site.

It is probably the time of your red pants.

The English phrase you're looking for is "you must be on the rag." :D

rl

Premenstrual Syndrome: Just before their periods women behave the way men do all the time. Robert A. Heinlein

I find a part of this discussion interesting, most of which revolves around the concepts of:

a) attacking Jeb for attempting to jump the ESB and 'burning it'.
b) being offended that if another jumper did the same thing the reaction from dz.com regulars (not BASE jumpers, just the people that post on dz.com) would be different.
c) criticism of methods used by the guards on the buidling to detain Jeb.

The ESB is a high profile object which has been jumped very few times, it's hardly anyone's regular object. The concept of 'burning' it is exaggerated as no one was using it. The risks of jumping such a high profile object are obvious, and Jeb (and likely everyone who has attempted to jump such high profile objects) take as many precautions as possible to make the jump successful. Jeb did the same thing, and confronted difficult odds of success. The bust factor is high, the landing is technical, and access to the exit requires some definite creativity. He likely did his best and failed. That's not an uncommon outcome for those who attempts high profile objects or open new objects. It's one of the challenges of forging new ground.

I've been on top of the ESB and I've jumped with Jeb. I found Jeb's BASE ethics and drive in the sport admirable. While that's a subjective opinion, I (and I'd like to think others) hold their subjective opinions based on evidence. The fact that other jumpers may be flamed for 'burning' objects is a) unprovable in this situation, since they didn't attempt to jump the ESB and b) likely based on something other than their success of failure in jumping the object. People develop reputations and identities based on what they say (about) themselves as well as what others say about that individual. If anyone feels that another jumper would be treated differently than Jeb, I'm curious why they believe such a delta exists. I'm also curious how familiar they are with Jeb, his experience, his knowledge, his sense of ethics and his attitude. I'd hypothesize that one's reactions are directly correlated to their perception of a jumper's experience, knowledge and sense of ethics.

While it's nice to read the headlines and articles posted on the internet and speculate, none of us were there. Have you ever been at an event that was covered in the press? How accurate the was the write up? There's more than one side to this story and no one has heard Jeb's side of it yet. While it's fun to make comments from the sidelines, Jeb was the one who actually there and actually attempting something interesting and perhaps amazing, while the rest of us are sitting in chairs, staring at screens, and typing on keyboards. I think a jumper who spends time jumping, scouting new objects, opening new objects, and spends a few years in the sport has a different point of view on situations like this versus someone who's just earned their BASE number, made their first few jumps, or hasn't jumped at all. One learns by experience, and when you attempt to open a new object or jump a high profile object you may well feel differently. You also may not feel differently, you may still hold the same opinions, and those with more experience may still criticize Jeb's actions.

The guards on the top of the ESB live in a city that has seen it's two tallest skyscrapers crumble. They (like many) are probably trying to a) climb the corporate ladder, b) keep their jobs, c) do a good job. They nabbed someone doing something unusual and obviously illegal, looking at the situation through their eyes, it's pretty easy to understand that they'll do whatever they can to ensure they catch him. If anyone thinks that enforcement officers are looking for ways to be gentle and kind to someone who has climbed on the over the big rail onto the other side on a high profile object ilke the ESB, you're wrong.

Much like another poster here, I feel like it's Groundhog Day.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

YES that sucks WHO'S the rat I wish I new why someone would do that to him?

I'm betting on one of the "Fat Suit" makeup crew. They would have had his regular photo, as well as known down to the hour when he was going to attempt entry to the building.
Probably not being BASE jumpers, they would have no sense of BASE, the idea of BASE family, and would rat him out for his own 'protection'.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

It's interesting that they chose to dump him due to an illegal jump when the very introduction to his show clearly shows him making at least one illegal jump [golden gate].
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I wonder how Jeb is getting along with his large cellmate, Mick the Spoon.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

curious about t-shirt Jeb is wearing when arrested-

3-7-77

Does this stand for 3 hrs. 7 min. 77 sec. to leave town? Dimensions of a grave: 3 ft. x 7 ft. by 77 in.?

"When a nameless thirty-ish yuppie grows bored of his comfortable life, he becomes involved in a subculture called "3 triple 7", lead by a group of most hard-core Action Sport athletes.

They find their release from the prison of reality through underground sport of base-jumping. But is this a hard-edged vacation from normalcy, or participation in the de-evolution of a civilized society?..."

www.3triple7.com

Clothing - Culture - Chaos

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think Miles just has too much enthusiasm sometimes, but he has done a relatively good job of redeeming himself lately.

I find funny the way you put redeeming himself. Like if he was in debt with you or any body else.

Miles is a really good guy and he has done good things because he feels like doing them.

Medusa
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

What ever happened to not going to jail with a packed rig? If I'm on an exit point...I'm going to try to jump. He didn't strike anyone intentionally and he was fucked at that point anyway.

If this make you feel better I can assured you he didn’t went to jail with his Rig pack.

You can clearly see in this picture that they toke all the rig apart!! :D
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

I just got back from visiting Jeb in Rikers Island. He's in good spirits and is glad to here the support from jumpers around the world.

If anyone wants to convey their support, I am going to print out this entire thread tomorrow and bring it with me.

I think he's great for giving it shot.

LETS HAVE SOME FUN!!!!!

Wow, it'll be the first time Jeb has worn anything but black. An orange jail jumpsuit and orange slippers.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I thing the ESB is awesome and it was worth the try. Cool suit :)
mySkydive - The new German portal for skydivers
DZ-Manager - The sexy manifesting software

I think Miles just has too much enthusiasm sometimes, but he has done a relatively good job of redeeming himself lately.

I find funny the way you put redeeming himself. Like if he was in debt with you or any body else.

Today must be my day for reading the dictionary. "Redeem" in the sense of: to restore the honor, worth, or reputation of.

The sentence I wrote would have been more precise if I had written "Miles has done a relatively good job of redeeming his reputation lately."

Except for commenting on his enthusiasm (personal judgment from a distance based on stories I have heard), I have not commented on what I think of what Miles has done, one way or another. And no, he doesn't owe me a goddam thing, but we all owe something to the community of which we elect to be a part.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb