frost

Corliss gets busted in NYC

I almost feel like I'm on the set of Groundhog Day.

This is a flash in the pan, and it will die down very quickly.

The only bad thing is that the New York Daily News-- which dubbed Thor Alex "The Human Fly" and made him a folk hero--has named Jeb "The Jumping Jackass."

I guess it's the difference between a successful jump and a fist fight, which was probably the big mistake, and I cannot fathom why he though it was a good idea.

When the security guard grabbed Thor Alex's leg, he was already over the security fence and ready to go. TA said, "You're going to kill me, man," and the guard let go. But they obviously nailed Jeb on the observation platform before he climbed up and over, and at that point, I would think that giving up gracefully would've been the smarter move, rather than incurring an assault charge along with the reckless endangerment. The latter charge is a felony and it's worth a maximum of 7 years. Coupled with the assault charge, he's in a lot more trouble than was Thor Alex.

That aside, the Empire State Building is not a jump, it's a stunt. It'll always be a stunt because of the high profile of the object and the lengths one must go to in order to get inside with gear. If this were one of the other tall, but lower profile buildings, you all might have a point. (Thor Alex should never have done what he did to the Chrysler Building, and he deserved the uproar over that, but the ESB isn't your average, everyday object.)

In other words, it's not like Jeb burned a low profile object for the sake of a stunt, which is the difference between what he just did and what certain others have done in other places.

Anyway, keep going. It's interesting to watch. As I said, for me it's almost like Groundhog Day.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

With all the attention to detail, Jeb should have brought along some handcuff keys... Some hardware stores sell ones that hide on the belt.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

It's OK for Jeb to daybalze the living crap out of anything he pleases but it's not OK for Felix to do his things and for Miles to jump off the railing!!!

Can you explain what lead you to this conclusion?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I agree fighting with security was a stupid move, and he is in a LOT more trouble now as a result of that. In my view, that is by far the worst part about this. The publicity-seeking aspects of this would clearly be more objectionable to many here if it were someone other than Jeb, who, for some reason always seems to get a free pass on that, and as others have pointed out, if this had been Felix or Miles, he would be getting universally raked here. But to my knowledge, none of them has ever actually fought with the cops in connection with a jump. If it really happened the way the media reports say it did, he could be in real trouble, and in my view, if you fight with the cops when they are only doing their job, you SHOULD be in trouble. There are plenty of incidents in which it appears the cops are the bad guys, but this does not look like one of them. If you want to take the risk of an illegal jump, fine, that's your choice. But if you get caught, you should be prepared to take the penalty. You should NOT resort to common thuggery and try to scrap with the cops!

I for one am glad to see someone had the Drive and the BALLS to even attempt to make another BASE jump from that landmark building after 9-11. Fuck I wish I could have seen the escape crew that was waiting on the Ground to add in his escape Getaway.
Bitch Bitch Bitch is all that is going to be read now on this skydive Semi-BASE forum now. Shame on you for complaining and him doing a BASE jump that if anyone of you had the chance would have tried also.
I hope he ends up on the David Letterman show next week. .....:ph34r:

Jesus christ everyone is always bitching about the press "The press the press...don't talk to them!!!" but the way you're all saying he "fought" the security agents makes you all sound like a 2$ gossip mag.

He probably just tried to free himself by struggling a bit and some security chump fell on his ass. Now they are making it sound liked he popped the guy in the chin...
If you weren't there, how do you know he did or did not fight the security agents?

I agree fighting with security was a stupid move, and he is in a LOT more trouble now as a result of that.

He's screwed if that guard really did hit his head.

...if this had been Felix or Miles, he would be getting universally raked here.

Not by me, not for this particular jump.

As I said, there's a big difference between taking on a high profile object as a stunt and totally burning a low-profile object.

The problem with Felix is that he either does offensive things (the Jesus statue) or makes outrageous claims for himself, which is also offensive. OTOH, if he did the ESB, he wouldn't be able to say he was the first.

I think Miles just has too much enthusiasm sometimes, but he has done a relatively good job of redeeming himself lately.

...if you fight with the cops when they are only doing their job, you SHOULD be in trouble. There are plenty of incidents in which it appears the cops are the bad guys, but this does not look like one of them.

Nope. It doesn't, especially if he hurt someone.

He probably could've wiggled out of the reckless endangerment charge with community service, because there is a fairly recent precedent, but if it's true that he was fighting, he was wrong, and he's going to need a very good lawyer and a very lenient judge to avoid jail time.

We do need to take into account, however, that NYC cops (and security guards everywhere) have a certain reputation, and the news reports may not accurately reflect what occurred.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I've said it before, but I'll repeat it again here.

The fundamental difference leading to the differing perceptions of various high profile BASE types is almost always how they present themselves to other jumpers.

If you work hard to explain and communicate, you tend to get received well--like Dennis McGlynn, for example.

If you don't really try either way, you tend to get a middling reaction--like Jeb Corliss, for example.

If you work hard to taunt and antagonize other jumpers over this kind of thing, you get a more negative reaction.

It's not that hard to figure it out.

Whining that people have a negative impression of you, when you work hard to create that negative impression, is pretty darned silly.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm sure most of you don't remember the 1998 ESB jump, or what transpired shortly thereafter, but the similarities are striking. I wanted to write a bunch of stuff here, but frankly, I know some of you will never understand it. So I'll just say this:

I think Jeb's attempted jump yesterday was admirable and I commend him on his attempt. The ESB is not your normal object and you can't "burn" it. If someone had ahold of your legs while you stood on the edge of a 1050' building, you might wiggle a little bit as well. Those security guards COULD HAVE KILLED HIM. What do you expect from a bunch of $10/hr rent-a-cops who will do anything to work their way up to head of security. But they put his life in jeopardy by holding onto him. I've jumped in NYC several times and I would have done the same thing as Jeb.

I laugh at the headlines in the papers. The media hasn't a clue. And I also hope Jeb ends up on the Tonight Show or Letterman as well. He deserves it.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Well, Im nobody, but here's one theory...

"My name is Jeb Corliss and this is Stunt Junkies!!!!. On tonight show in gonna jump off the ESB and Im gonna land thru the sunroof of a 95' Honda Accord 2 blocks away. But to make it more interesting Im gonna call the cops on myself and Im going to use this state of the art hollywood costume that the Discovery Channel paid for me."

Is that possible? :$
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

If someone had ahold of your legs while you stood on the edge of a 1050' building, you might wiggle a little bit as well. Those security guards COULD HAVE KILLED HIM.

Is this true, Jason?

They pulled him off the ledge? That's a different story--although it won't make much difference in a courtroom.

But unless things have changed a lot up there, it would've been pretty difficult for them to get him back down on the observation deck if he were already on the ledge set to jump.

rl

Edit: Never mind, same link as above
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Rhonda, take a look at the attached pic. If that was me standing on the edge and somebody grabbed my legs through the railing I'd try to kick myself loose too.

As for dear little maggot - you really are trying too hard. We clocked you a while back, this is no parody - just a bit boring really.

Mike M. and Alistair B. were the first two to BASE jump the ESB in the late 1980s. I also know at least one other jumper who did it successfully and without being busted. He took advantage of the fact the observation deck is open until midnight and he took the last elevator up at 11:15 PM. He later told me he went up prepared to jump five times before the wind conditions and a small number of people on that last elevator load made it possible.

NickD :)BASE 194

Well, isn't that typically american cops? Treat everyone as criminals until proven innocent. I seem to remember a picture not long ago of a 100 year old woman protesting against the Iraq war, getting handcuffed. Nice job, cops! If I was in Jebs shoes, on that ledge, my face would probably look something like his.

I'd like to see Jeb and the securityguards on Rikki Lake. Topic: "Dude! You almost killed me and don't even know it!"

/Micke N
Team Bautasten

I'm curious when the hell did Jeb have time yesterday to post to the Wingsuit forum? From an office in the ESB? I can't wait to hear the whole story of this. Damn shame someone let the cat out of the bag before he could pull it off.

I'm curious when the hell did Jeb have time yesterday to post to the Wingsuit forum?

Can you point out the post? The most recent one I see from Jeb was back in January.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Where the hell do you land in downtown NYC during rush hour without the chance of hurting a bystander?

I'm curious when the hell did Jeb have time yesterday to post to the Wingsuit forum?

Can you point out the post? The most recent one I see from Jeb was back in January.

It appears it was my mistake Tom. A post was made yesterday to a thread he comented on awhile back. Sorry. I had mistaken his login yesterday at "Last Logon: Apr 27, 2006, 4:43 PM" as a reference to the post I saw when I searched messages.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/487-frontbig0428.jpg

He does appear to be on the ledge ready to turn around and jump from the look of the photo on the NY Daily News Cover. From what I've read they got him by the harness, legs, arms and then handcuffed him to the fence.

I take back everything I said. If he was on the ledge, that's just as fucked up as it gets.

Edited to add: It's just dumb luck that they didn't kill him. Jesus.

As I said, the security guard got a grip on Thor Alex's leg (close to then ankle), but he let go as soon as TA yelled at him. I can't believe these numbskulls wrestled Jeb down from the ledge.

rl

Where the hell do you land in downtown NYC during rush hour without the chance of hurting a bystander?

That was SO my question. Living 6 blocks from there for a number of years, the first thing you learn is to AVOID that whole freakin' area between 4pm and 8pm if you want to walk without having to stop every seven inches.

Bummed that he got caught, but even more so that he resisted. Once you resist a cop in NYC, you get slammed WAY more in court than if you just come quietly. Look at Michael Sergio. Landed right behind Keith Hernandez in Game 6 of the 86 Mets v. Sox series, and walked off with the cops without a problem. Got a few months, but for refusing to give up the pilot, not for the jump.

And of course, my parents called me this morning, "Oh, is this the next thing you're gonna try?"

Sigh. Come on, Jeb... The Plaza wasn't enough for you? ;)

I'm sure most of you don't remember the 1998 ESB jump, or what transpired shortly thereafter, but the similarities are striking. I wanted to write a bunch of stuff here, but frankly, I know some of you will never understand it. So I'll just say this:

I think Jeb's attempted jump yesterday was admirable and I commend him on his attempt. The ESB is not your normal object and you can't "burn" it. If someone had ahold of your legs while you stood on the edge of a 1050' building, you might wiggle a little bit as well. Those security guards COULD HAVE KILLED HIM. What do you expect from a bunch of $10/hr rent-a-cops who will do anything to work their way up to head of security. But they put his life in jeopardy by holding onto him. I've jumped in NYC several times and I would have done the same thing as Jeb.

I laugh at the headlines in the papers. The media hasn't a clue. And I also hope Jeb ends up on the Tonight Show or Letterman as well. He deserves it.

X2!!
When I have the time , all I do is think about how to get on objects that NOBODY jumps but everyone wants to.
"He Burned NY"?...WTF it's NY! Whatever you were jumping there is still jumpable, and anything there that you didn't have the balls to try to jump isn't (to you). It's not like you've all been working with the building owners and the city to jump the ESB legally and now he's ruined it.
Jeb obviously spent a lot of time planning a way off that B and had the balls to go for it. That is what I love about BASE.
If you don't....go jump that same antenna you always jump....you know the one your friend showed you, and told you the best way to get on, the one you think the cops are going to drive 45 minutes to and stake out every night because Jeb tried to jump the ESB.
As far as fighting to get out of the security's grasp, Good for him! he was on the exit point passed the fence no one was "going along for the ride with him"
What ever happened to not going to jail with a packed rig? If I'm on an exit point...I'm going to try to jump. He didn't strike anyone intentionally and he was fucked at that point anyway.
If you are worried about the concequences of getting caught BASE jumping maby you need to think about the getting killed part a little longer before you keep jumping and re-evaluate your priorities.

I'M Handing out homework assignments to all you whiners due in two weeks:
GO OPEN AN OBJECT, JUMP SOMETHING YOU'VE NEVER JUMPED BEFORE.
Best feeling in the world.......
Have Fun:)~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

If that was me standing on the edge and somebody grabbed my legs through the railing I'd try to kick myself loose too.

YEA!! That is what I was thinking!
I would punch people in the face, gouge out their eyes at that point.

Odds are if made it off he would have got caught anyway as soon as he landed.
At least he could have went to jail happy.

As I said, the security guard got a grip on Thor Alex's leg (close to then ankle), but he let go as soon as TA yelled at him.

It was not the first time for to Thor Alex. A few years earlier he was in the same situation on top of bridgepylon. A cop sneaked up behind Thor Alex just as he was going to jump, and grabbed him! Thor Alex didn't quite like it, so he pushed the cop down to the floor, grabbed his throat and said (free translation) "Just be still! I'm a lot more bad ass than you are.". Well... he got some shit for doing that, but had it been in the states he would probably still be alive, doing time in a "correctional institute" somewhere... ;)

/Micke N
Team Bautasten