TomAiello

Tailgate

Spinning off of Mac's "just your knowledge" thread...

There was some discussion about the purpose and function of the tailgate. Have a look here.

The most relevant part is:

The primary purpose of using a tail gate is to achieve nose-first bottom skin expansion (versus tail-first bottom skin expansion). There are many benefits of nose first bottom skin expansion – just ONE of which is the minimal chance of a line over or tail inversion.

The relationship formula is not:
LINE OVER is avoided by TAIL GATE

It is:
LINE OVER is avoided by NOSE FIRST BOTTOM SKIN EXPANSION which can be achieved by using a TAIL GATE

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

What may be interesting is watching a lot of video where a tailgate is in use.

Nose first inflation may or may not occur. If you keep the brake lines away from the nose, chances of a line over is slim. If the tail expands first as it often does, as long as it won't get over the nose, it doesn't matter.

I'll make an attempt to get video next time I'm at the perrine using different pack jobs to see if that makes a difference.

People assume that because there is a tail gate, it will constrict the tail long enough for the front of the parachute to expand first. Basically whatever part of the bottom skin catches are first will expand. The last video of my canopy opening, was clearly tail first.

Some of the other jumpers had nose first, some some expanded simultaneous.

Line management and orderly bottom skin expansion is key. If the tail goes first, that's fine. It all happens faster than you can see it but frame by frame it's obvious.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

My friend (BASE 175) made about 150 slider down jumps predating the tailgate. He always had this trick where he "packed the tail into itself." He did not have a single line over in all those slider down jumps, which was unheard of at the time.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Tail gates are a waste of time if someone can't
pack clean enough with out the aid of a tailgate.
or clamps then they deserve o have a line over.
or should stop jumping and take up golf

Line overs will happen regardless of how neat one packs unless one is doing something very specific to control the brake lines or inhibit the tail.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

theres no such thing as a line over there a mith like
unicorns and elvis
Ive never had one and I have a million jumps

millions of base jumps slider off or down?
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Hey swooper, you look a little confused the bonfire and general skydiving discussions are that way----> http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=1;
You must have accidentially stumbled into the BASE Zone. Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.;)
~J
PS:Did Magot send you in here?:P
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I just got done flicking what were u doing and once again no line overs and no tailgate

as it was once said to me just cauz it worked does not make it right or mean it will work again good luck on your next mill.
JOMAN

Yeah okay. Your point?

Glad to hear you made it. Video?

. . .Good attitude. I'm sure people are just dying to take you out to their favorite objects.:D

Did you day blaze it. from your post time it must have been bright outside if you JUST flicked it as you said. And whats the point of not using a tailgate?

yeah swooper120 was jumpng with me, last night no day blaze today yes we did twice actally and we marked up both of our sites one jump there was this sheetrok dust on 120's shrivel flap and the wind blew it right up my nose NO DOUBT dayblazing on my birthday DIRKA DIRKA
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

P.P.P.S. Tom, the Australian phrase used when attempting to freefall 140’ over hard earth would not be "No worries, mate!", but the slightly less confident "She’ll be right, mate" (or the very unconfident "I'll let you go first on this one Slim!!!"). ;)

Classic!!!:)