frontloop33

Packing errors!?

Hi!
What packing error causes a malfunction?

What do you have to do wrong during your packjob to have a lineover?

Easiest way is to let your steering lines get infront of your nose. May not give you a line over every time, but it will eventually, or maybe it will every time.

Ask your instructor/rigger to show you while packing the proper way to pack to minimize the risk of that.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Easiest way is to let your steering lines get infront of your nose.

I don't think English is his first language.
I'm getting this image of him in his living room with his rig, holding a steering line up in front of his nose, thinking "?" .

Not cocking pilot chute --> pilot chute in tow

Improperly stowing brakes--> spinning canopy

Letting brake lines in front of canopy nose --> line over.

Improper arrangement of bridle on top of pin --> pin pierce bridle --> pilot chute in tow

I am sure that there are many others too.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

in reply to "What packing error causes a malfunction? "

Line stows too tight, too loose, too long ,
mixture of different line stow tensions .
Doubling bands can cause malfunctions eg bag lock,

the list goes on...and on.

I'd MUCH rather have a line over than a nut under!

rigger tip 3 : grab hooknife, cut what is over or under to solve malfunction :)
***always glad to find new rigger tips ***

(DISCLAIMER for people who would take this seriously... just a joke.. but do whatever you want to your nuts)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

leave too short unstowed lines and you make a chance for line twist.

How so?

ps
http://www.parasale.com/wolmari/wpages/wolmarpack.html
This is how I pack as a student and I have to say it really helps with working with the material :)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

no mention of the most common packing error. Step through.

Only if its followed by the next error of not doing a proper line check which should take all of about 5 seconds, and NOT doing is inexcusable......

Once the canopy and lines are clear you can be pretty rough packing, and still get an open canopy most times...
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

How so?

ps
This is how I pack as a student and I have to say it really helps with working with the material :)

Too little free line can mean that the risers and/or lines may be pulled tight against the bottom corners of the reserve container.

It depends on the rig. Some rigs have provisions to prevent this sort of snag. Some do not.

If one side hangs up a bit, it can start the bag spinning as it is lifted out of the rig.

In addition, depending on the rig, snagging often enough and hard enough can eventually start tearing the stitching that holds that area together.

Hi!
What packing error causes a malfunction?

What do you have to do wrong during your packjob to have a lineover?

Drugs, alcohol
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

How so?

ps

Too little free line can mean that the risers and/or lines may be pulled tight against the bottom corners of the reserve container.

It depends on the rig. Some rigs have provisions to prevent this sort of snag. Some do not.

If one side hangs up a bit, it can start the bag spinning as it is lifted out of the rig.

In addition, depending on the rig, snagging often enough and hard enough can eventually start tearing the stitching that holds that area together.

So help out the N00b if I stow the lines right up to the risers that will cause a line twist.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

What do you mean by doubling bands? Just to be clear - double stowing all stows (including locking ones) with large rubber bands will not be the (main) cause of a bag lock. Double stowing large rubber bands is the recommended method of stowing lines.

How so?

ps

So help out the N00b if I stow the lines right up to the risers that will cause a line twist.

Yes!
Because you risk snagging a riser (or line group) under the corner of the reserve container.

In the short run, that causes line twists.

In the long run, it causes Master Riggers to issue long strings of profanity, because they have to devote an entire afternoon to sewing your reserve container back onto your main container, then sewing your main container back onto your back pad, close the corners of the reserve, close the corners of the main container, etc. etc.

In the long run, it causes Master Riggers to issue long strings of profanity, because they have to devote an entire afternoon to sewing your reserve container back onto your main container, then sewing your main container back onto your back pad, close the corners of the reserve, close the corners of the main container, etc. etc.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hopefully though, they caught it and handed it off to the rigger once they noticed the reserve container starting to come out... as that could be a bad day in the making!B|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

...Doubling bands can cause malfunctions eg bag lock, ...

Reality, or myth?
http://parachutistonline.com/content/performance-designs-inc-locking-stow-myth

"Myth" might not be the best term. Perhaps "legend" might be better. Myths require no basis in fact, but legends often have some, even though it might have been lost along the way.

There have been deployment bags with grommets that are larger than the ones we typically see on a modern bag today.

There was also a time when most canopies used Dacron lines.

The two worked well together until the more modern, thinner, lines started to appear.

Those big grommets with those skinny little lines have been known to trap lines and create bag locks.

I just had some emails with PD and the fellow there recalls two cases that he personally knew of.

I suppose it is really quite unlikely that equipment from that era will show up now.

But if something from that era were to surface, it might be a good thing to realize that the legend may have some basis in fact, and getting those locking stows right could be very important.

According to the fellow at PD, he's never heard of anybody dying from a bag lock, whereas an out-of-sequence deployment is known for its deadly possibilities.

So PD's message now is to double-stow even locking stows if that what it takes to prevent an out-of-sequence deployment.

But it is also probably good to understand that it might not always have been that way, even though it is true today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you mean by doubling bands? Just to be clear - double stowing all stows (including locking ones) with large rubber bands will not be the (main) cause of a bag lock. Double stowing large rubber bands is the recommended method of stowing lines.

Emphasis on CAN.
I've had two bag locks from doubled bands .
One I packed myself and the other was given to me by a packer.
Sure doubling works if done as recommended on lines suitable for it. Why not just use the correct size band? that doesn't require doubling?

Where the lines are joined ( big wads of stitched together lines at the cascades on some older canopies. ) it gets thicker and stiffer and if this is jammed into a wrongly doubled not so large band 'viola'...... bag lock.
Might just be a mal of the past due to modern slippery dental floss lines.