yuri_base

Exposure of the nose & onheading performance

Yo!

Since there are different views on how exposure of the nose (and no, I'm not talking about Jaap's nose exposed to the cold of Canadian winter night ;)) affects the onheading performance, it would be interesting to know what people think.

- The MORE nose is exposed (i.e. wrapped around the whole pack job), the better onheading performance

or

- The LESS nose is exposed (i.e. tucked in), the better onheading performance

or

- Don't see any difference

Please post your reasoning and packing techniques, too!

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

...and no, I'm not talking about Jaap's nose exposed to the cold of Canadian winter night.

Shut up, bitch... ;)

Makes no difference.
Packed a few hundred in the beginning, nose exposed, then experimented without.
NEVER GIVE UP!

I truly think that onheading performance is more on how the canopy comes out of the container. Good or bad body position, oscillating PC, or what ever. Most offheadings I have watched you can tell when the canopy is being extracted from the container. With that being said, I believe that bottom skin inflation happens first so I would think the nose will just follow. So I don't think it really matters if you expose a lot of the nose or not. (Vented Canopies) Just my 2 cents after many, many beers.:S
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

Ive started useing close pins on the outer 3 cells on each side and ive been haveing excelent results with that. BUt dont use duck tape that didn't work out so good for a friend of mine, how ever the close pins are the bomb.
never take me seriously unless i say so
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

...BUt dont use duck tape...

>>Dude duck tape works great for constricting the nose for a pefect on-bill openig don't be stupid

right now im testing that myself,whith out any correct #´s at this point i will say that the best preformance is when the nose is expoced but not wrapped arround.
That way you allow it to "eat"air as soon as posible and it aint prone to "snag" a cornor while its getting pulled out of the harness.

As said i have no proof from what im saying right here,right now im testing the "wrapped arround" and has found myself under more offheaddings than whith the other methode,however i also has jumped in some bad winds lately so i give it summer over..

but interesting tread,as said above i belive the exposed not wrapped arround nose will give the best stabel preformence and onheaddings..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Interesting. I wondered, too, if packjob can pop out of center cell asymetrically when you wrap with it the sharp and rigid "snag" corners of the 1st fold.

Do you pre-tension the bridle attachment point when packing?

Maggot, pins are great for nanoreefing. Just be careful, don't share them with friends, they may have AIDS! AIDS is everywhere! :D
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Interesting. I wondered, too, if packjob can pop out of center cell asymetrically when you wrap with it the sharp and rigid "snag" corners of the 1st fold.

Putting in my 2cent with some photos. A 1/2 sec 48' FF, photo during pulling the packjob and just before a stable canopy (old 400+ 245 Fox).
What i make of it is;
- Make shure the centercell (the seem) is floating free within the packjob all the way back, this is where the tention starts
- It is a god idea to wrap the tail halfway around the packjob, leaving the front alone during opening
- The fabrick looks like shite before it gets tention
- Don't FF this cliff (55m) everyday
- Bought a new rig (vented...)

/Johnnyb
P.S. Norwegian BigWall season comming up B|

Do you pre-tension the bridle attachment point when packing?

sorry im not sure i understand what your saying here,my bad i know:|

Johnnyb that looks like a nice spotB|good thing you has got a vented canopy through he he

Stay safe
Stefan Faber