Mahle

The Off Heading Research Project

I did this a while ago for the GBA and translated it later for some friends. It was never intended to be published because it's only my point of view. The key to send this today were the two fatalities in switzerland on the weekend. Therefore it's just a share of information.

M.

Why do you write:
Use of an apex vented pc without floating handle.
?
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

A 270° OH is, on first sight, in the same heading as a 90° OH into the opposite direction, but the present line twist gives reason for apprehension
...:D krypnug!

Thanks for posting this.

However I do not agree and/or do not understand some of the conclusions.

Conclusion 4: It is advantaging to avoid packjobs with big open nose wings as a target for inertia and relative wind. Mechanical fixation of the nose cells during canopy stretch by packing or the use of a “Nose Gate” is preferable.

What do you mean by open-nose wings? Nose gate? Could you clarify?

Conclusion 5: Use of a multiple bridle attachment system for the pc (multi). The packjob must be as compact as it makes a necessary sense.

I don't agree with this conclusion. My conclusion is to use an appropriately sized PC for the delay taken.
Memento Audere Semper

Youh,

of course, posting this document creates maybe responsibility. But as I said. It's my point of view which is based on my experiences. I jump BASE since 9 years and did 487 jumps yet. Of course this guarentees nothing but it's also a to long way to explain all my observations leading into this conclusions. The document is therefore not intended to start a defending battle.
You all are free to have different opinions or only partly go with me.

Thanks
M.

I had a difficult time interpreting this document.

The freepack is essentially dealing with a real beast. This is one reason Mark Hewitt (BASE 46) developed sleeve technology. Freepacks have a place and can be mastered though. There are a few points that everyone should be reminded of...

1) The canopy can be torqued (turned) during the way to line stretch, which can be influenced or minimized through packing techniques, such as 45 degree folding the stabilizers similar to a round reserve, and minimizing the exposure of the nose.

2) The canopy will tend to open down wind (or upwind) like a windsock during the inflation sequence.

3) The faster the opening, the more on heading it will be, with jumper body position being much more critical in the opening sequence.

4) Pilot chutes are now known to be critical in the on-heading performance of the canopy. Asymmetries in pilot chute manufacture, tapes relative to the block or bias, and attachment of the bridle to the pilot chute play a critical role in the system.

5) Pilot chute inflation should be staged. Inflation immediately upon (sideways) toss may result in an off heading opening.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I had some pms about the "Nose Gate". It's still part of the OH Research Project. All I can say is, that it doesn't prevent an OH. It's just a try to eliminate inertia to the nose part during inflation.

M.