base283

ITW weekend observations.

1st the good stuff:
A really nice weekend. 35 - 40 jumpers. My guess would be that 200 jumps were made
Hannes, flew over the LZ at 500m with a wingsuit.
Most were very competent jumpers. Lots of great jumps!

The Not so good stuff:
3 were not competent, they were in a group of 3, from the same country with same color canopies (You know who you are)that IMHO they should go back to the DZ and learn how to fly canopies and land into the wind. All 3 missed the the main LZ and were dealing with power lines and highway and trees.but escaped without injuries luckily.
A few jumpers jumped in the “Ora”wind (“Ora” is a low altitude wind that starts around 11:30am and lasts until just before sunset at 19:45 and reaches 8-10 meters per sec almost every freakin day this time of year) One took a tree landing, one ankle tweaked at the Heli LZ. And a crash and burn crosswinder landing. Get a clue guys.
My biggest concern was the guy using a car battery for a packing weight. At first I was concerned about his rig but now I realize that he was putting it all over the packing area and other peoples packing mats and this was even worse. After I spoke to him he used it as a place to stow his packing clamps instead of a packing weight.

Other notes: To the jumper that gave me the taxi fare for the Norwegians, It was delivered and I should tell you their thanks.
We passed on the info about not jumping at LB (thanks to Wayne) as some jumpers planned on going there.
In the end, all was good.
Take care,
Space
Ora wind search

Hannes was rocking it in his wingsuit and I saw a couple of other people having nice flights too. But yeah, some 'funky' canopy control going on :S.

Good to see you and Jane again Tracy, thanks for the laughs and all the sound advice.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

A few jumpers jumped in the “Ora”wind (“Ora” is a low altitude wind that starts around 11:30am and lasts until just before sunset at 19:45 and reaches 8-10 meters per sec almost every freakin day this time of year)

It was nice seeing you again Tracy and thanks for being on the radio for us when we hiked up to check out the situation, only to realize that the wind was freakin' blowing. The finnish crew made nice two hikes... Maybe we'll have better luck next time. :)
http://www.ufufreefly.com

hi gus, my compliments go to you!
remembering my flights with s3..you are way further.
same goes to hungary ws crew.
the spot becomes more and more ws playground.

thinking about the special canopy skill team...their decision one hike earlier, not to jump because of the winds, was super smart.
take care
hannes

To the 3 jumpers and any others that are down there at ITW, here are some tips:
Tip 1, Ground crew with radios or telephone contact. You can ask someone around the packing area before you go up. If this is not possible, then put off your 2nd most experienced as a wind dummy. Pay attention to his flight and you will get great feedback whether to jump, On which way to fly or which way not to fly and on which way to land or which way to not land even if he doesn’t have a radio to contact you.
Tip 2, Ask the local jumpers about the expected wind and weather conditions. They will have the best idea on what to expect.
Tip 3, KNOW the ORA wind. If anyone wants me to, I will explain it so that one can understand what causes it, when to expect it and also how strong it is likely to be at which time of year.
Tip 4, Know the DYNAMIC winds and their jumpability and associated flight plans.
If anyone wants me to, I will explain it so that one can understand what causes it, when to expect it.
Just take care,
Please,
space

P.S.
Nice to see all of you down there again, Hope to see you soon!

:)Wow!!!
I am thinking about V2 for you now!!
I mean, if you get that suit we need to make valley wider B|
... better is to place your order in to ''pending'' tray for a while...B|:P
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Hey Space

It would be great if you could explain the ORA winds and the dynamic winds. This has always been a point of confusion for me.

thanks,
Chris
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

meister robert,
as our friend stane says...
transfer mass and altitude into kinetic energy
let you sewing machine run;)
i hope we can change direction soon..following the length of the valley
take care
hannes

Tip 3, KNOW the ORA wind. If anyone wants me to, I will explain it so that one can understand what causes it, when to expect it and also how strong it is likely to be at which time of year.

Space -- maybe you should write it up and have Tom attach it to the SITE SPECIFIC GUIDELINES sticky at the top of the forum....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Space -- maybe you should write it up and have Tom attach it to the SITE SPECIFIC GUIDELINES sticky at the top of the forum....

you could also post it on basewiki.com - that would be great! thank you for your effords.

We (the Norwegian guys) had a great time in Italy and will be back. Thanks to the Hungarian guys who showed us to the exit.

Other notes: To the jumper that gave me the taxi fare for the Norwegians, It was delivered and I should tell you their thanks.

The money is well spent on beer. Can I have some more? :P

-Jo Henrik