atree

Age and BASE

I'm sure that the majority of BASE jumpers are either in their twenties or thirties but are there any old timers out there throwing themselves off of things? You hear about 80 year olds skydiving for their birthdays and whatnot... Anybody know how old the oldest BASE jumper is to date?

Jim Guyer took up BASE at 74. I can't recall how old Rob G. is, but I know he took up BASE well after retirement. I'll ask him. Tom Manship also took up BASE largely after retirement.

Rick and Randy H. are not only oldsters (sorry Rick, couldn't resist), but they've been at it ever since they were youngsters.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hi there, Robin Heid here.

I'm on a healing hiatus at the moment, but I started in 1979 when I was 25 and made my most recent one in 2004 when I was 50, and I plan to resume when I'm healed up from my crash at the royal gorge in 0ct 2004.

1979-2004 I think there was one year when I didn't make at least one.

Raider Ramstad is jumping too. he's a 747 pilot with 4000 skydives and about 50 base jumps and he took up base just a couple of years ago. He's in his early 50s.

You're largely right, though: most base jumpers are in their 20s and 30s, just like the swoopers and the hard-core RW guys.

robin
base 44
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

Hello,
Wow, a post from Robin Heid!
I haven't seen a post from him since he was in his forties.;)

I hope you're healing up well, old man, and,
God bless you.

Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Hi atree,

I am a late bloomer. I did my first jump last month at the age of 49. But I am confident that I can out jump anyone who is twice my age. ;)

Have Fun!
Baz

Pete Fielding in Oz is about 54 now. He has been jumping for decades and discovered / first jumped MANY sites in Oz. He is jumping more now than ever before. He mentored a number of greats (i.e. DW), and is respected by ALL human beings that have met him for his personality and achievements, most of which have gone unnoticed.

I have the utmost respect for him. If it was anyone else, it would be different.

I have taken a 65 year old for a number of BASE jumps. Jim Guyer is the oldest active one I have met (I met him at Bridge Day and in Australia). At BD2000, Harry Parker mentioned that Jim was a 73 yo from NC.

It just goes to show, you are only too old precisely when you think you are too old.

You may have to allow for your age and physical abilities when jumping (response times, mobility, etc), but you can still have a go!!!!!

Pete is 25 years older than most of his colleagues, but he can still keep up with most and is faster than the rest!!!
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Tom Aiello started jumping about the same time as me back in 99. Remember our first trip to the Perrine Tom? I guess he must have been in his late twenties. Well he's in his mid fifties now so at this astounding rate Tom Aiello could be the oldest BASE jumper in the world in about 5 years. That's right folks Tom is actually aging faster than anyone else I know. It's this moderating caper, you age 3 times as fast just trying to keep a track of everyone. It's kinda like being a Pope but with a different looking funny hat and knee pads. Good for you Tom. I'm really looking forward to your golden wedding anniversary in 3 years time. ;)

not sure if eric jones still jumps but hes been around a while and was doing some cool shit when he started...he was one of the first to do the eiger...not from the fungus but some other exit...he did a lot with Moe V...anyway...im 38 for what its worth...

Dan-the-man is getting on. Got to be in his late forties now. New name perhaps....dan-the-oldman. It's a shame when you see a once fit young man go to seed.
And maybe i shouldn't say anything but i noticed his 'piece' had slipped the other night when he removed his helmet. He looked very 'trump-esque'

ian

LMFAO..thats some funny shit...dont laugh too loud though mate...im sure all those tofu dogs and mung bean spritzers are doing you no good at all...

I know one guy over here.
he must be now in the middle of the sixties and he is still jumping.
one night, his canopy got caught in the wires for a trolley-car during landing.
he escaped observed but unrecognized by people on the ground.
the newspapers headlined next day:
"young man escaped after parachute-stunt from a building"
so you see, age is relative ;-)
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

matt you soft c**t!
how old is raff???
is he still jumping?
flummi
* Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *

Flummi.
Raff is still jumping and must be approaching 60 if he isn't already.

"Just don't mention the war. I did once but I think I got away with it."

I was 56 and had 68 BASE jumps when I was injured last year in a fall, not doing a BASE jump or skydive.
I may pick it up again, once I am all back to normal...or not...depends on the family. I still need a "B" and then would have both a BASE number and a Night BASE.

I am sure there are people lots older than me.

My buddies dad is 54 or 55 and just bough his first base rig about 6 months ago.

Years ago, most BASE jumpers started in their 30's or 40's. There were very few mentors so most were self taught. This could only happen by being an experienced skydiver.

Now people are much much younger who start BASE since there is a clear and easy progression. I guess I'm an exception. I started at age 20 in 1992.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

You're as old as the woman you feel...You cheeky f cka, you should learn to respect your elders!!!

Dan-the-Man.

Did my first Base Jump in 1999 at 39......still love to jump but have to admit climbing the Steel is getting harder every year[:/]

still love to jump but have to admit climbing the Steel is getting harder every year[:/]

dude stop ruin it for the rest of us,im not even 30 and i find it hard climbing steel,how will that be as i get olderB|

:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I believe it is a fair statement that I have been a BASE jumper longer than anyone else on the planet. Brian Schubert and I made the first jumps off the El Capitan on July 24, 1966. I made my second jump at the Bridge Day '05 event, nearly forty years later.

I know you're looking for BASE jumpers who have a bunch of birthdays under their belts (I'm just a 66-year-old kid) and a bit higher number of jumps, but I couldn't resist tooting my horn on this subject.
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

Right on!! I was born August 1966. I'm just a pup.:P
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"