rendezvous

What does a delay really mean

When you talk about delays how do you measure one. For instance is a 2 sec delay measured as the time lapse from launch to just before you reach out for the PC (or let the PC go as in hand held) or is it 2 sec from launch to canopy extraction?

from exit to PC release...

otherwise SL jumps would have a delay would they not if they were judged on exit to canopy extraction?

for stowed: when you release the PC from your hand (not reach for it)
for HH: when it leaves your hand

I would always think that the delay is something you do and have complete control over (you delay and no one else), once you stop having control over that aspect (ie throwing / pitching your PC) your intentional delay is over and the dice are now rolling.....

I just take whatever the other guys say their delay was and add a half a second. Or the word "fat". It makes me look hardcore.

What he said. That's exactly how I've always considered delay to be measured.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Plus 2 more seconds in most cases.
$kin
There's only one Tom Aiello...

A Real delay is ? When your Hand starts to reach for the Pilot Chute in freefall.
You mentally over-ride your natural survival line, for the Pitch. Count one more Second. Then Gab and pitch your Pilot Chute.

Delay is when you mess around at the exit point because you are scared and mustering up the will to jump. It varies with the familiarity of the object, altitude, and of course, the number of drinks you have had.

Hope this helps.

Cya

For statistics, competition, and a reasonably accurate measurable comparison - what 813 and Tom A stated is the best option. There is less room for arguments.

Definition of delay: from when your body ends its contact with the object, until the deployment system is actually initiated. Hence, Ray is kind of correct in fundamental terms.

Delay is kind of a planned thing IMO. Hence, if you are still in freefall and fumbling for your p/c, I think your delay is over. It's also over when you . . . . . . . . don't throw the pilot chute and the jump HAS ended. If you catch my drift!!!
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

This raises the interesting question of where this fits in:

When doing a TARD (or TARD-over) you can do the ‘Mary Poppins’ and hang on to your magic umbrella for a delay.

I have seen a 2.5+ sec delay from exit to canopy release and I am sure you could easily hold on longer if you wanted.

At least one jumper I know has stated that they do not consider this freefall, but I have to tell you, the visuals are pretty much identical….

Delay is when you mess around at the exit point because you are scared and mustering up the will to jump.

Then I definitly have the longest delay off of several objects.:o

At least one jumper I know has stated that they do not consider this freefall, but I have to tell you, the visuals are pretty much identical….

:ph34r::D
i would say you can do a delay whith a TARD aswell however who cares it aint a ´BASEjump its only fun:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

gorgonzola.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE