crazydiver

Swift Reserve

One of the 5 cells? I finally got to pack one this last fall. The breakway breaks are strange and I had to seek out someone that could explain them to me better.

Its a 5 cell... its not going to land anything near like a modern 7 or 9 cell. If you've never jumped a 5 cell, I'd say just get a new reserve. If you are not current on your PLF's.. a new reserve is a lot cheaper then an ER trip...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

One of the 5 cells? I finally got to pack one this last fall. The breakway breaks are strange and I had to seek out someone that could explain them to me better.

Its a 5 cell... its not going to land anything near like a modern 7 or 9 cell. If you've never jumped a 5 cell, I'd say just get a new reserve. If you are not current on your PLF's.. a new reserve is a lot cheaper then an ER trip...

It's older tech but bullet proof, it'll save you when you need it. Opens very fast too, kevlar reinforced. I've used one, lands just fine.
Mick.

Mick, correct me if I'm wrong but you've also got a little experience under similar canopies right? Would you put one in your rig today?

You betcha, still have one active today. It's a good solid life saver.

Mick.

Oh I forgot to add, brace yourself for a terminal opening it's ...........quick............ow.

Mick.

Hi crazydiver

I have a Vector III with a an original swift reserve in it. Swifts were saving people when they were new. Do I really have anything to worry about? Any information you have is helpful.

I've got one also, they work fine standups etc. :)20 yr's period regardless of the number of times packed or used. :S

" Dude you swift only got 5 cells your only jumping half a parachute" LMAO :S

Search the posts for more info.

R.I.P.

Mick, correct me if I'm wrong but you've also got a little experience under similar canopies right? Would you put one in your rig today?

Mick.

Lets rephrase that, if you were going to a new one today which would you choose, the original Swift, 189 sq. ft., or a PD-176r.:P I know if it was me I would pick the Swift.
Sparky
(does that make me not swift?)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Mick.

Lets rephrase that, if you were going to a new one today which would you choose, the original Swift, 189 sq. ft., or a PD-176r.:P I know if it was me I would pick the Swift.
Sparky
(does that make me not swift?)

Both are good reserves. Go with what you are comfortable with.
Mick.

About 20 years ago I was jumping a Swift main for around 200 dives. It gave me good landings at that time, although 220 7 cells were then considered the cutting edge of canopy performance.

They'll land you just as well now as they did then, but the flare is very fast and not very powerful. Use the forward speed primaraly to avoid obsticals rather than try and fly over them as the glide path is steep.

They open FAST and reliably, but can be trick to land if you've only jumped ZP before.

Your call.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Para Flite, the manufacturer of the Swift reserve, will do a 100% airworthiness and porosity inspection for $25 including the return shipping.

People bring me older gear asking me to sell it for them. I usually have the canopies inspected to make sure I am selling someone a gear that will do the job for them. The last three reserves I have sent for this inspection have been deemed unairworthy due to poor porosity.

Para Flite
5800 Magnolia Ave
Pennsauken, NJ 08109-1399
(856) 663-1275
POC: Giorgio Piatti
[email protected]

Hope this helps!
Arrive Safely

John

Hi slot perfect

Para Flite, the manufacturer of the Swift reserve, will do a 100% airworthiness and porosity inspection for $25 including the return shipping.

People bring me older gear asking me to sell it for them. I usually have the canopies inspected to make sure I am selling someone a gear that will do the job for them. The last three reserves I have sent for this inspection have been deemed unairworthy due to poor porosity.

Para Flite
5800 Magnolia Ave
Pennsauken, NJ 08109-1399
(856) 663-1275
POC: Giorgio Piatti
[email protected]

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the great info. If the manufactor uses objective tests to determine the airworthyness of a canopy no one can argue with that. $25 bucks is very reasonable:)
I realize the last three reserves you sent to them failed their tests. That a 100% failure rate on 3 reserve's, whats you experience with swift's that you've sent in failing the test?.[:/]

Did the factory have a conclusion for the deteriation of the canopy? too many pack jobs, improper storage etc?

I'm a origional owner so I know how may times it's been packed and how it's been stored. $25 bucks what the hell time cheap insurance time to go to the post office.

R.I.P.

whats you experience with swift's that you've sent in failing the test?

I have sent one Swift Reserve, and two Cirrus Reserves in for testing - all three failed and were deemed unairworthy

Did the factory have a conclusion for the deteriation of the canopy? too many pack jobs, improper storage etc?

The paperwork simply stated that the canopy fabric failed the porosity test.

I'm a origional owner so I know how may times it's been packed and how it's been stored.

In my case, two of the canopies were given to me, and one was a friend's who asked me to sell it. One of the reserves I had reservations about - the other two passed fabric pull tests and visual inspection.

A phone call to Giorgio might yield a better answer to your questions given your good record keeping.
Arrive Safely

John

[opinion from a part time rigger]

Overall, old technology but they look decently built.

Only certified to 130 kts not 150 like some other reserves, especially all newer ones. On the other hand, plenty of older reserves were certified to 130, like the original Ravens who I guess were the industry leader at one time.

Construction was very odd compared to a current 'standard' such as PD, but it all looked solid, including having spanwise reinforcement.

Someone mentioned Kevlar. I recall that on the Swift Plus canopies, but not on the Swift. (At least on one I packed a couple days ago.)

[opinion from a part time rigger]

Overall, old technology but they look decently built.

Only certified to 130 kts not 150 like some other reserves, especially all newer ones. On the other hand, plenty of older reserves were certified to 130, like the original Ravens who I guess were the industry leader at one time.

Construction was very odd compared to a current 'standard' such as PD, but it all looked solid, including having spanwise reinforcement.

Someone mentioned Kevlar. I recall that on the Swift Plus canopies, but not on the Swift. (At least on one I packed a couple days ago.)

At that time canopies were tested under TSO-23b and there was standard, 150 mph, and low speed, 130 mph. About the only canopies to pass the standard test where bias constructed rounds. That test required a test load of 5,000 lbs. and that is a lot even by todays standards.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I've got a Swift Plus(7-cell) it came with my rig used. I asked a lot of riggers and people with 10,000+ jumps and they say it's fine.

I personally wouldn't jump anything less than a 7 cell reserve because of the wingloading issue.

If it had an original swift(5-cell) I wouldn't have bought the rig.

You need to check the serial number t see if it was a recalled Swift. Some of them had the wrong rib installed in them and made them impossible to land standing up.
Serial numbers R3-2750 through R3-3471 where included in AD No.86-22-07!
It had a 3" thicker rib at the nose and had increased decent rate, reduced forward speed, and reduced flare capability.

Masterrigger1
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Yep. The Para-flite packing instructions manual for the Swift Plus, Swift, Cirrus, and Orion says: "....The center of the tail is identified with a stamped data block, or an orange sewn on warning label. ...."

The accompanying photo in the manual shows the ink-stamped label on the tail just to the left of the seam at the center.

Swift Plus may have labels on the center of their tails, older Swift 1 canopies have their data panels on the front of a rib.

Oh!
And Swift 1 reserves only came in one size 176-181, depending upon whose measuring method you use.

You certainly would have more experience with that than I. I am just reading the manual but I have no doubt there could be a departure from the manual. I've only seen my Swift twice and that was a view of the bottom and I wasn't looking for the data panel. :)178.56 sq.ft. If they meant 18'6" x 9'6" then the area would be 175.75 (176) sq.ft.

Small world. I was reading this thread Friday, just out of interest, and damned if a guy didn't bring one in Saturday to be packed. It had the data stamped clearly on the center of the tail and was in great shape. It is not one of those in the recall posted by MEL.
You don't have to outrun the bear.