Neil Q. Accident (5 Oct 2004) Press Clip

Neil Queminet, BASE 796,
Died on October 5, 2004 he is on Nick DG's list of those who died outside of the sport.
"If you don't like it then fuck off" BASE 621

There's lots of discussion about Neil Q. on older threads in this forum, from around the time of his accident. He was highly regarded, and with friends.

I'll leave this thread open. Let's keep the discussion of this theory of his father's in this thread.

FWIW, I very much doubt that Neil's death was anything but a tragic accident.

Have any of the guys who were present spoken to the family about this?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I had Neil's last tape for many months until i handed back to Hayley for the inquest. I watched it only a week or so ago. IMHO there is nothing on that tape that suggests anything untoward. Footage shows Neil at the beach and very excited at the prospect of jumping.
The pattern of footage is absolutely typical of any jumpers footage when on tour. A section of "here i am...." followed by a section of "here's where i intend to jump...." followed by a section of "look at the stinking weather.." followed by his building jump followed by a change of location and the pattern again at the beach.

Neil was not jumping with any of his regular jumping friends but footage from his camera reveals that after checking out the climb in person he decides to wait to hook up with someone who was familiar with the climb and his last section of footage is him on the beach waiting for them to turn up. He mentions in the footage that he believed other jumpers were on the island.

I don't recall where, possibly Blinc, but the person who was with him at the time of his death posted a very moving account and revealed that Neil died in his care whilst awaiting rescue.

I hope Neil's parents will eventually come to terms with his tragic death.

ian

Hi
I am king from king Climbers krabi, Thailand. I am been searching the web to try to find out who I went to rescue on the 5th October 2004. At 9am on the 5th i got a call that someone had fallen at ton sai so I hopped onto a boat to ton sai with all the equipment, (resuce basket, spinal broad etc) On my arrival to Ton Sai The person had already been fallen for over 30 minutes. He had head and internal injuries. The people who were with him did not know what to do. He had just past away on my arrival. I can not explain how I felt to see such a young person to die. I was the person who took the body to krabi hospital I did not even know his name. My wife robin & I stayed with him until the police and doctors came. Around 4pm I got a message that his wife/girlfriend had been located. This has been one of the saddess day of my life.
All I want to say if future jumper planning trips here to krabi please do not solo, use climbing equipment to get the ledge for jumping.

May Neil rest in peace
King, Robin and krabi rescue team

taken from this post on BLiNC:

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22309

Thanks.

My mistake. I thought it was someone who was with him when he fell but i was wrong.

ian

ps. Tom, if it's okay with 460, could we change the title of the thread now it's established this is an old fatality. Reading titles like that always makes my heart sink when i think we've lost another jumper.

Thanks.

My mistake. I thought it was someone who was with him when he fell but i was wrong.

ian

ps. Tom, if it's okay with 460, could we change the title of the thread now it's established this is an old fatality. Reading titles like that always makes my heart sink when i think we've lost another jumper.

I PM'd Tom with that same request... not a great title to read as you log on for new threads...

Totally agreed about changing the thread name. I misinterpreted the timing on this. I thought it was something new.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Miss Neil,he were always good for a laugh..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber