linny

Reasons for a non-vented canopy

if you were jumping a vented canopy you might have cleared those trees....

TREE not trees, yes I was surrounded by trees by hit only one and then chopped two :o Actually a 17 year old young pilot and future BASE jumper chopped those down, so much for good ethics.

But that's exactly my point: vents = immortality so why play the Russian roulette with those Mojos 240s?
Memento Audere Semper

I'm with Nick... anyone that wants to get rid of those black death mojos please SEND THEM OUR WAY. He can have the 240's and I'll take care of all the other sizes.

Send all your Mojos in ANY CONDITION to:

Abbie Mashaal
780 Falls Ave., #102
Twin Falls, ID 83301

I will reimburse you for shipping, and will not charge you a dime for the disposal processing. This is a service I provide to the BASE community cause I'm a nice guy like that.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

if you were jumping a vented canopy you might have cleared those trees....

sam, that would be too easy. if you're on your game you dont need vents. ;)

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

ws jumps or tracking jumps were you clear the object by a fair distance and has enough alti to open a slower canopy.

I have taken my part of unvented canopyes sub 400ft and im not doing it again unless its a waterlanding..

Vents just get them..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The falling distance to bottom skin inflation was the same. The time from bottom skin inflation to pressurization is noticeable.

The after the bottom skin would inflate, the canopy would still want to drop as it pressurized. It opened, then would (hard to describe) mush downward then fly.

The vented canopy would pressurize and was flyable noticeably sooner.

If you are canopy nose to the object, a vented canopy will possibly stay inflated or reinflate easier and sooner than a non vented canopy.

What he said.

I'm a heavier jumper and have freefallen my Ace310 from 220ft a bunch of times. It slams open just fine, but from then it can be prone to jellyfishing (pressure waves from nose to tail then back again) end cell closure, surging and diving and general funkiness. Below 250ft this can be interesting (sporting) cos you don't have too much time to get your shit together. Over 250ft i don't think it's too much of a problem.

Having jumped a Troll for a few jumps now, i have to say I am stunned at the difference vents and valves make. The canopy opens and it is solid. Ready to receive instructions (usually bad ones from me but that's a whole other thread).

The ACE i have used for a fair amount of slider up jumps (from 4secs to terminal) and to be blunt i love the way it opens. It rocks. Hasn't ever slammed me and the heading performance i find pretty tootin dependable (body position fuck ups aside).

Two very different beasts but i love them both equally.

ian

I have done some sub 180 feet static line or pca jumps with my ACE 260. My buddy who jumped the same objects used a vented flick. His had faster openings and always got a few feet more of canopy rides. I will get a vented canopy in a few weeks (black jack) for my low freefalls but I think I will not jump anything below 170 to 180 feet anyways. And like I said before, I feel good doing this jumps with my ACE.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch