linny

Reasons for a non-vented canopy

Are there any?

Specific jump types? Landing areas? Etc...

I'm lookin for reasons, not rules here.

Thanks!!!!

Sorry if this is a repeat post, I can't do much internet surfing/research here at work and I can't get this question off my mind.

<3Lindsay

disclaimer... i have no idea what im talking about

maybe if youre only doing terminal jumps or skydives....
or mabe youre just not into solid objects or low freefalls....

My non-vented canopy costs less than my vented canopy and I like the openings better for terminal jumps.

If I only had 1 canopy for all my jumps, I would get a vented canopy (specifically a Black Jack;)). But there are still plenty of jumps where I would jump my Ace (non-vented). Wingsuit jumps for sure.

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

I have a BlackJack which I love for the lower stuff and Buildings or small cliffs But I like my Mojo for termilal or near terminal stuff. It's got a smaller packing volume which is easier to pack in my rig and it opens nice and soft. If I could only have one it would deffinately be the BJ though.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

In my opinion, there are no reasons.

They work well, but modern vented canopies are better. I jump 2 different Black Jacks for all delays.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

its cool to be retro.

i have 3 base specific canopies, none of which are vented.

if you fear for my life, please paypal $20 to me, towards the buy abbie vents fund.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

They are less sensitive to very DBS, they fly and flare better, and provide softer openings at terminal.
Memento Audere Semper

its cool to be retro.

i have 3 base specific canopies, none of which are vented.

if you fear for my life, please paypal $20 to me, towards the buy abbie vents fund.

-am

"They work well", but modern vented canopies are better.

-----
I don't fear for your life. Buy your own

anyone have alot of low jumps with nonvented, like the 200' feet range? if so, any problems I should look out for?

I have good amount from 250ish on a non-vented. The falling distance to bottom skin inflation was the same. The time from bottom skin inflation to pressurization is noticeable.

The after the bottom skin would inflate, the canopy would still want to drop as it pressurized. It opened, then would (hard to describe) mush downward then fly.

The vented canopy would pressurize and was flyable noticeably sooner.

If you are canopy nose to the object, a vented canopy will possibly stay inflated or reinflate easier and sooner than a non vented canopy.

Most of the replies are pretty parallel to my preliminary thoughts prior to this thread. Thanks guys!

One more thought....

If vents are pretty much superior in the majority of situations (including terminal deployments... "softer openings, etc), then ...

Why are they still offered as standard on _certain_ models, instead of vents being the standard, in which case you must request to _not_ have them (when ordering custom gear of course)??

If price is the only factor, then I understand. (For those primarily doing big walls and such)

But are there any other reasons?

<3 Lindsay

............ and for those of you who own both a vented and a non-vented canopy... what are the benefits of having that un-vented canopy, when you could just use your vented for terminal/ higher unstrikable objects? (assuming other possible desirable features of your canopies do not come into play here)

Two reasons:

1) Lower cost.
2) Lower pack volume.

Lower pack volume is actually something I've seen a few very experienced jumpers select non-vented canopies for (they were looking for a rig that would only be used for wingsuit and tracking flights from big walls with good landing areas).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

how much bigger does one with vent pack as opposed to non vented? How much difference in a track would that make? super noticeable or marginal?

Thanks chrisB|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

i have 14 jumps on a dagger 222 non-vented canopy and i have a Black Jack 240 on order. i'll keep the dagger for terminal jumps cause i like a softer opening. but i also want to jump lower objects (<230), i'm playing off a faster opening with a higher wing loading hoping to balance things out. (this is theoretical at best)

............ and for those of you who own both a vented and a non-vented canopy... what are the benefits of having that un-vented canopy

Multiple loads B| I would use my vented for some jumps which I wouldn't use my unvented.

how much bigger does one with vent pack as opposed to non vented? How much difference in a track would that make? super noticeable or marginal?

Marginal. The only people I know who are worried about it are very good trackers and wingsuit flyers who are pushing the envelope of human flight.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Well i used to have one of each then one fine day my azz met some train tracks on that fine unvented canopy. pressurization is definitaly slower without vents. Also I've seen a few videos of 180's striking e's and b's with vents the canopy still flys without well you seem to loose 1/3 of your canopy, which can make the difference of a few bruises to some brand new shiny steel in your femurs. Keep in mind this is while sliding down the wall. but hey who ever has a 180 that they can't get off the wall anyways.
Now i own all blackjacks

Guys,

If you are jumping a non-vented canopy you will die!

Get rid of them, NOW!

If you happen to jump a Mojo 240, please contact me and I'll make sure I properly dispose the canopy for you.

Seriously, contact me if you want to get rid of that old school Mojo 240.
Memento Audere Semper

also, if someone owns 280 Mojo and is going to burn it, dont do it, send it to me !! ...i might pay something for it, Maybe ;);)

dude

if you were jumping a vented canopy you might have cleared those trees....

If you are jumping a non-vented canopy you will die!

*bites tongue*