basefetish

POLL - Determining factors whether someone is qualified to be an instructor?

Which of the factors would weigh in whether or not someone would be qualified to be an instructor for BASE jumping?

For example, would the number of object strikes a person has had be a determining factor for he or she to be an instructor in the sport?

I think they should be sponsered by red bull
and hold death camps and actually be cool
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Lets assume there is reasonable knowledge of the subject matter - that knowledge is subject to interpretation, how it was obtained, through research, word of mouth, experience, real world lessons, etc...

Years in sport, and still alive?

Yup. Still being alive is highly recommended.:)

- number of jumps on different objects/setups
- ethics

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

well, in which way do you want to value it? is someone with 5 object strikes NOT qualified to be an instructor

- because he/she needs 7 object strikes to become an instructor or
- because an instructor can have a max of 3 object strikes?

oh, and what about "TRUST"? yeah, i know you can't measure that... but i remember it was the biggest part back when i learned. it just has nothing to do with metrics and how much objects/jumps/accidents someone has.

oh, and i strongly support the "being alive". as said in another post before, that really helps :-)
flummi
* Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *

- number of jumps on different objects/setups
- ethics

Cant someone with good ethics and lots of jumps, still be the most dangerous fool you could ever jump with?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Sure. Same as someone with much less experience can be a good instructor, or someone with poor ethics can teach technical aspects of the sport well.

I think Flummi may have the best point. One of the critical issues is that the student trust the instructor. It's best, of course, if this trust is the result of both personal interaction and wider research into the instructor's background, and is well founded.

The "fit" between the student and instructor is a very important and difficult to quantify element.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Trust thats funny I could BS anyone who doesn't Know
there ass from there elbow. into trusting me, Hell i could BS anyone that hates me into trusting me.
Trust is something u should earn by your action's. I could take some guy who knows nothing of BASE and tell him that I'm the best in the world and they wouldn't know the diffrence and would totaly trust me. In stead i just say well this is what i do. and i just learned this from watching people that know what there doing for example U, Jimmy, Marta , Miles and just do the best I can. which isn't always so good
TOSS MY SALAD

The only qualified instructor should be yourself.

If you cannot trust yourself then you should not be your own instructor and should reconsider why you do what you are about to do.

I trust no one and nothing but myself.
Memento Audere Semper

I learned from the dead.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

ya maggot is on the right track. A qualified instructor is ?
( Anyone ) All it matters to that instructor/person to make himself qualified is ( what he tells himself ) about himself. Plus what sales pitch he rattles off to the prospect BASE student.

Basically, All an instructor has to have for knowledge and qualification is ?
One BASE jump more than the student. Plus a Self-Ordained belief in himself.

what are u talking about
I hope u didn't eat those pills i gave u ? if so lie down some where safe. and don't post for ate least 8 hours.
TOSS MY SALAD

Yup. Still being alive is highly recommended.:)

Some of the best mentorship can be found on the List...

since BASE is unregulated and there are no guidelines set forth for structured learning... you will probably never quantify anything construed as the proper "qualifications" for any "student".

more importantly, i think it is the students responsibilty to understand that... and to have trust and competence in him or herself to take the appropriate action to learn and understand as much as possible about the sport before putting trust into one persons words and actions.

their mentor may not intentionally steer them wrong or put them in harms way...

but then again, they might. it all depends on who's watching.

The reasons why someone wants to teach BASE to others are very important in determining if someone is fit to be a BASE Instructor.

Kris.

my .02

I think jump numbers and number of objects jumped is important. But also attitude of the instructor. There are certain people on this forum that are more than qualified to instruct, but they're also assholes and that could affect their ability to teach. ie. big egos getting in the way of common sense and teaching BASE to those who are qualified to learn.

Part of being ready for BASE is being able to determine whose is a suitable instructor for you. In that regard it is as much the responsibility of the student to do their homework and decide for themself.

I chose my FJC instructor because I was told by some trusted BASE friends that he an easy going guy with alot of experience off of a bunch of objects. Equally I was told he's a personable guy who has a genuine concern for the quality of his teaching method.

My friends were right. Couldn't have had a better instructor.

Cheers,

J.P.

[The only qualified instructor should be yourself]

Been there done that; It was fun but not too smart!

Greeny