maretus

DW Troll and slider mesh size ?

Hello all !

I'm in progress on getting myself a new canopy and I have ordered a DW Troll 265 (MDV). What I'd like to hear is opinions or experiences from people regarding that canopy and using fine mesh / large mesh slider. Are people constantly switching to fine mesh when going for full terminals ? Are you using fine mesh also from "near full terminal" ? If so, what is your delay treshold for going to fine mesh ? I'd like to hear site specific setups that you are using from the Swiss Valley for example or from the terminal wall in Norway ?

I have been jumping a non vented Troll (265) for now and I have been using a large mesh slider on all my slider up jumps. With that one I haven't experienced any painfully hard openings even on full terminals and jumping with camera but what I've understood is that with MDV Troll that just might be different... So if you have jumped different delays slider up and preferably with camera with vented DW Troll, please share your experiences ! Any info would be appreciated.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

I got spanked hard jumping Troll MDV off LM (camera shut off on opening, got crick in neck), big mesh slider. I got small mesh before I went to ITW and openings were fine (36" F111 PC, double bite on primary with indirect control, outer 3 nose rolled in). Have now got second Troll (DW), going back to valley in 2 weeks, will use one setup wth small mesh slider, 36" F111 PC the other with big mesh slider, 38" ZP vented PC depending on exit point. If I was going back with just one rig I'd use small mesh, but change PCs appropriately.

I'd be interested to hear what PC size/type others are using for terminal jumps.

Will

Have now got second Troll (DW), going back to valley in 2 weeks, will use one setup wth small mesh slider, 36" F111 PC the other with big mesh slider, 38" ZP vented PC depending on exit point.

Thanks for the input. If you'd like to post your experiences after you come back from the valley feel free or just drop me a PM, I would really appreciate it.

I'd be interested to hear what PC size/type others are using for terminal jumps.

So far with my unvented Troll (265) I've been using 36" ZP for terminals (Southwestern Norwegian Terminal Wall) and in the Swiss Valley I have used a 38" vented ZP. I'd also like to hear more input from people regarding PC's with similar sized canopies (265 Troll) and terminal / subterminal setups.

I'd like to hear site specific setups that you are using from the Swiss Valley for example or from the terminal wall in Norway ?

Hahaha :D... the terminal wall in Norway? I don't know the numbers, but it have to be at least 15 (many of which have several exit points, of course) terminal walls here... probably more.

(As for your question, the only Troll jumping guy I know jumps using a large mesh slider and it's fine. IIRC.)

With a new vented canopy at terminal, fine mesh would be better. I have an older vented canopy that opens fine at terminal with a large mesh slider. This canopy nearly broke me neck though on my first near terminal jump. I was recommended to get an MRI by a physician. So, slow down the opening on your new vented canopy if you are going to terminal. Nothing like having a neck so sore that you cannot enjoy the rest of your trip.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I'd like to hear site specific setups that you are using from the Swiss Valley for example or from the terminal wall in Norway ?

Hahaha :D... the terminal wall in Norway? I don't know the numbers, but it have to be at least 15 (many of which have several exit points, of course) terminal walls here... probably more.

At least you can't blame me for site naming. :) I probably missed the word "southwestern" from that sentence since for me it is the familiar terminal wall in Norway. :)

ask the manufactor! He is the most serius guy to answer your question!

I can't speek specificaly to the DW, but my Black Jack is always better off with the fine mess. I even jump fine mesh on the BJ from my local 486ft bridge.
I have like 20 V1 jumps at the ITW with the BJ and fine mesh and the openings are great.

On my ACE I would use fat mesh on anything under 6 or 7 seconds. But I go rite back to the fine mesh if it's terminal.

So with vented canopies, I always go with fine mesh.

These are just my experiences.

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

I jump a mdv troll 265 with small mesh and it opened little hard but not bad, to me all the other people was using large mesh with no problem, if I had a choice I use a non vented for the big wall, just my opinion take both and experiment
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

On Troll MDV (not DW) I've had good luck with just leaving the large hole mesh in place. Some of the terminal openings are a bit hard, and if I was going to move to Norway or some such place I might switch to the small mesh, but for here and now (4 second delays being my hardest slider up openings that get repeated several times in a single day) I'm quite content with the large hole mesh. It works great for 1 or 2 jumps a day at terminal, too. More than that? I think I'd start to feel it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

On Troll MDV (not DW) I've had good luck with just leaving the large hole mesh in place. Some of the terminal openings are a bit hard, and if I was going to move to Norway or some such place I might switch to the small mesh, but for here and now (4 second delays being my hardest slider up openings that get repeated several times in a single day) I'm quite content with the large hole mesh. It works great for 1 or 2 jumps a day at terminal, too. More than that? I think I'd start to feel it.

Yeah, that was exactly my thoughts too. Probably if I'm spending a week or two at some big wall site where I'll be doing multiple terminal jumps per day I might be better off with small mesh. Anybody out there with any experience with both original vented Troll and vented DW ? How they compare on openings for example ?

I jump Troll MDV and after the last norwegian trip i bought the small-mesh slider. Guess why.) Haven't tried it yet and i'm not sure i will because the opening are just very hard but not too hard. But i do have a "black-out" experience on openings.
No problemsa with the sub-terminals.
So probably i will switch to small mesh slider if i go jumping something terminal alone and the extra-quick opening won't be that neccesary.
Between two evils always pick theone never tried