cornishe

Learn to BASE jump for $55

cool!

CSI is a great school. This is a great way to get more youth into BASE, and what a better place for it.

Note: This class was cancelled due to concerns from the BASE community
april fool?

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

This is a great way to get more youth into BASE, and what a better place for it.

Why would you/we want to get more youth into BASE?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Creativity.
Fun.
Girls.
Progression.
humor.

The more the merrier right?

College aged men and women do great in the air, and people who are virgins to the sport tend to have quite a bit of respect for it.

The more the merrier right?

I strongly disagree.

...people who are virgins to the sport tend to have quite a bit of respect for it.

People who are virgins to the sport tend to freeze up and allow the canopy to fly all the way over until they impact the side of the canyon. How lucky are we all that the guy who did that was relatively unscathed? What if he had a 90 left instead of a 90 right, and ended up with a cliff strike, helicopter rescue, or fatality?

Let me be totally clear:

This irresponsible, reckless, and extremely dangerous approach to BASE is wrong on both a human morality and a BASE ethics level. Selling it to people who don't know any better by telling them that it is "so safe a bag of dogfood could do it" is misleading to the point of criminal liability.

I am stunned that after several mishaps, one of which landed the uneducated jumper in the Intensive Care Unit, anyone would even consider continuing to do this.

To market this on a commercial level while intentionally misleading people as to the risks involved is so wrong that it defies verbal description.

humor

I believe we've already covered this, but I do not find your crowd's idea of "humor" and "hilarity" to be even remotely amusing. Hurting human beings is not my idea of a funny joke, but it seems to be the height of humor in your minds.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Note: This class was cancelled due to concerns from the BASE community

A number of concerned jumpers, including myself, several North American gear manufacturers, and some leading jumpers from other parts of the world, contacted the College and expressed our concerns that this "clinic" fell well short of the industry standards of safety and training.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

You mean this was not an April Fool's joke?

Negative.

This was completely serious. The radio and newspaper advertisements are still running here in Twin Falls.

Fortunately, the BASE community came together and took action to educate the local community as to the dangers involved.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

>People who are virgins to the sport tend to freeze up and allow the canopy to fly all the way over until they impact the side of the canyon. How lucky are we all that the guy who did that was relatively unscathed? What if he had a 90 left instead of a 90 right, and ended up with a cliff strike, helicopter rescue, or fatality?

The (?)student(?) was within 6 feet of a cliff strike. I thought that I was about to witness my first BASE fatality. Where he landed was simple luck. Even after he missed the rock faces by only a few feet, I figured he was going to rag doll down the very steep terrain. I have photos of the jump.

I respect the many accomplishments of the instructor and after knowing him for a total of 15 minutes, well, you gotta like the guy. However, I hope to never see this happen again. I consider it pure insanity.

Chris Bazil

Holy crap dude.

That area is really steep and rocky!

I once missed the start of the trail and ended up climbing up that because I was too stubborn to walk back down.

I would hate to try and land on there.

Cya

Sam

55 dollars is a rip off any way it I just bought a video on how to pack. bought a rig on DZ and went to TF its not rocket sicence.
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

clinic teaching you the fundamentals of BASE jumping

Obviously the event calendar at CSI has been highly edited since being posted, but from what I saw there was nothing advertising an actual jump.

I remember a month long class offered at CSI last April by you Tom. It was a very stimulating course, and I know it inspired at least one person to take up jumping.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

Obviously the event calendar at CSI has been highly edited since being posted, but from what I saw there was nothing advertising an actual jump.

The original CSI advertisement read as follows:

Taste of the BASE
5/6/2006
Time: 10:00 PM to 5:00 PM

The CSI Outdoor Program in collaberation with Miles D Base Camp will be offering a one day clinic teaching you the essentials of BASE jumping. Cost is $55 and includes instruction, chute, boat pick-up, and DVD of yourself. This is an unreal price so sign-up while space is available.

I have saved the original as a .pdf file, but unfortunately it's too large to attach on these forums. If anyone would like a copy of it, feel free to email me.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thanks for the original information.

I was confused why you'd be so against a course that taught about BASE, because you had taught one yourself that included packing, determining technicality of a jump/object, and the "ethics" of jumping.

You presented more information in those eight classes than some mentors teach during their time with a student.

The new information really cleared it up.

Holly Joan
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

Oh Tom you are such a stiff..

and WRONG, you are always wrong.

here is a quote from a locked thread:

"I disagree. Some of the events in Malaysia have involved nearly as many jumpers, making more jumps, from a significantly more technical object, without the incident count.

In my opinion, the difference is largely the approach of the jumpers, but that mostly came from the ability of the organizers in Malaysia to ride herd more closely (which is almost impossible in Moab due to the large number of exit points, and the fact that you don't need the organizers permission to just show up and jump)."

you are totally wrong. how is massively overhanging 1000ft tower more technical than a sub 500ft cliff? perhaps LZ perhaps not. to me the difference is that the jumpers in KL get scraped up off the ground, cuz it is hard to hit that object versus the guys in moab who get caught up on the wall. less spectacle in KL, more or similar injuries.

and also YOU DONT JUMP, so of course you were not in Malaysia, if you had been you would know that people broke themselves off hard there this year... broken backs, ankles, heals, teeth, all kinds of stuff. miserable painful injuries that may or may not have been posted by the organizers who wanted to portray a success story.

You just take the opportunity to kiss their asses because they also kiss your ass and it is a big cyclical butt kissing fest kind of like a circle jerk.

people: don't listen to Tom, he is wrong. he doesnt know what he is talking about at all and he really should not be considered an authority.

Dude who lit the fuze on your tampon? Did Tom kill your dad or something? And he's not considered an authority any more than someone else with tons of jumps and experience. Just because he's green doesn't mean you have to hate him. He still jumps, I jumped w/ him last saturday and find that he is right almost all of the time.
Good point about the Malaysia injuries . . . it seems that both technical sites get the best of the jumpers if they don't stay sharp. I think the previous point was that there have been events in the past w/ lots of jumps and few injuries, maybe just not this year in particular, who knows. The KL tower looks a lot safer than the low Moab jumps...but at a safe exit point jumpers just push the limits more it seems.

hi nueve-uno-cuatro,

how many of those jumpers in malaysia were doing there first ever jump under a parachute? What do these two events have to do with each other?

Maybe you don't like Tom, who gives a shit, but do you really think that deathcamping 30 - 40 people you've never met or know anything about is a good idea?

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

This is totally off topic. The Malaysian events screen for jumper experience, and hence cannot be compared to an offering that makes no jumper screening of any kind.

...massively overhanging 1000ft tower...in Malaysia...

You seem to have missed the other objects from which events have been held in Malaysia.

I'd definitely argue that an underhung 5 second delay is more technical than the average cliff in Moab. Ditto for the 300' tower with the nasty landing area and the typically high winds.

"Malaysia" is an entire country. "Events in Malaysia" describes multiple events held from different objects, some of which you may have overlooked.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

dude easy on Tom...He runs a really good forum and I dont like it when people like you with their norcal attitudes jump in and say things that are totally off the wall. Why dont you go to 711, buy a case of red bull and "DRIVE SO FAST" down to the terminal antennae instead of sitting at your computer after getting drunk at the Dubliner and lashing into innocent web site moderators.

>>>> so of course you were not in Malaysia, if you had been you would know that people broke themselves off hard there this year... broken backs, ankles, heals, teeth, all kinds of stuff. miserable painful injuries that may or may not have been posted by the organizers who wanted to portray a success story.

~ I was one of the injuries it was off a *340ft tower in Malaysia,* I had a slider off lineover (yes I had a tailgate shit happens).
If ya want to read the post about it....http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1862335;search_string=slider%20down%20lineover;#1862335
so yes...it was posted.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Good question.

my answer is that no it isn't a "good idea"... how could it be?

in my book, no harm no foul.

if it worked, it would have a positive trickle down effect in the sport, ie. a youthful locals scene at the bridge, that would create more fun people to jump with and new creative ways to have fun basing off the bridge.

miles is a good teacher. we dont even know in what manner he was planning to throw them off the bridge if at all. but getting youth into base in Twin is good clean fun. Miles is a good role model for kids that age.

another way to look at it is that people get injured in sports all the time, people who are good, people who are bad, people who are new. it doesnt mean they will stop letting us jump if people get hurt.

to Tom, indeed the overhanging KL tower isn't all that malaysia has to offer. I have seen footy of people slamming into all kinds of stuff in malaysia. I was hard on you, but your points are more than frequently... wrong.

to way2cool, i wasnt drunk

dude easy on Tom...He runs a really good forum and I dont like it when people like you with their norcal attitudes jump in and say things that are totally off the wall.

I know plenty of norcal jumpers WITHOUT "the norcal attitude". I guess to say 'norcal' is almost becoming slanderous. [:/] I like it here.

dude easy on Tom...He runs a really good forum and I dont like it when people like you with their norcal attitudes jump in and say things that are totally off the wall.

I know plenty of norcal jumpers WITHOUT "the norcal attitude". I guess to say 'norcal' is almost becoming slanderous. [:/] I like it here.

Dude don't take it personally we don't live in F'ing "Nor-CAL" anyway. People who claim "NOR CAL" live in crappy suburb towns but still want to "represent" and hopefully be associated with the SF Bay Area.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"