dimbohall

Stable from a paraglider

Hi all,

YES, I know it is not a base jump from a paraglider, but please bear with me......I thought that you guys would probably know the most about this subject.

I am an experienced paraglider and an inexperienced skydiver (40 jumps).

I want to jump from my tandem paraglider and am not quite sure of an appropriate height AGL.

I will be using a normal rig (Vector 3, Sabre 150) with reserve etc..

I plan to jump at 1800m AGL and open at 1000m AGL.

My question is this : after releasing, how long will it take to feel 'normal' air speed?

By this I mean that if I let myself fall off backwards, how long before I would feel enough relative wind to flip myself over easily?

And YES, I have recruited an experienced BASE jumper to help me with this - I just want as many opinions as possible.

Thanks

This should have been taught in your first jump course, but it takes 8-10 seconds to get to terminal. You shouldn't need any airspeed at all to actually get belly-to-earth though. Regardless, you should have enough airspeed to do this by simply arching after about 4 seconds. (i think?)

With the above mention parameters, I would say it's absolutely doable and a low risk jump. I have done a few and they are quite fun.
If you jump at 1800m AGL you will have plenty of time to recover if you screw up the exit (which you most likely will the first time). It will take about 4 to 5 seconds to get enough relative wind to get stable but you will have plenty of time and altitude to recover.
Make sure you have the logistic on how you will unhook yourself from the paraglider worked out. Easiest way is to take off in the passager seat and when you are ready to jump, unhook everything, pull yourself up with the line groups and stand up in your seat. This gives a chance for the pilot behind you to give you a visual gear check of your rig.
Then just take a step and off you go!!

Have fun!

watch this vid:
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3597

the filename is "cold day in the sun"

it´s fun as hell to jump of a paraglider! if only one person exits the paraglider, we use a rope system to stand in and exit. it´s also possible to exit out of the passenger seat, but it´s not really comfortable!

have fun and let us know how it was!

DRU

Where are you located? You might be able to just find someone local who's doing these jumps, and get some pointers.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have been working up to this having quit BASE a while back. Apparently there's a few guys in France doing this off solo PG's, just tie off one toggle with a bottle of water before you exit, as you exit bottle drops, PG collapses and lands below where you exit, wind dependant. This is how I intend proceeding with my airsports - no reliance on other people, no rules other than your own common sense, the exact same things that caused me to quit skydiving and take up BASE. FYI one daughter and another on the way is why I quit BASE.

Given that you are fairly on to it, 1800 meters AGL, with an intended deployment at 1000, should leave you with good margins.

If you manage to exit stable on your back it's not bad. I'd say chances are you'd end up in a back flip if you are standing up in the harness if you haven't done this before. How about trying a stable exit on your first; just to get used to the subterminal feeling...

Even if these jumps technically are not BASE jumps, they are a very enjoyable way to use your BASE gear. Cutting away from hangliders on a wing-over is highly reccomended:) More fun than most other skydives I've done:)

Have a blast and keep asking questions - even if they are in the "wrong forum"!

CJ =)

I have been working up to this having quit BASE a while back. Apparently there's a few guys in France doing this off solo PG's, just tie off one toggle with a bottle of water before you exit, as you exit bottle drops, PG collapses and lands below where you exit, wind dependant. This is how I intend proceeding with my airsports - no reliance on other people, no rules other than your own common sense, the exact same things that caused me to quit skydiving and take up BASE. FYI one daughter and another on the way is why I quit BASE.

Corky Ferguson (the master rigger at the Taft, California, dropzone, and a longtime BASE jumper) has created a system that allows him to attach his paraglider wing to a BASE system, and then cut it away with a fairly standard cut away handle. He uses the paraglider wing to gain altitude and then goes back into freefall with the BASE gear.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

OK, since we're posting vid and pics.......

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3608

Can someone make it click?

If your tandem pilot hasn't done this before, you might want to warn them that the passenger seat will jump up at them once you exit... and can smack them in the head.

You can see this happening in pgpilots pics.

The less you "jump" the less it will happen.

OK, since we're posting vid and pics.......

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3608

Can someone make it click?

Clicky

Too slow SUCKA!!! :P

[If your tandem pilot hasn't done this before, you might want to warn them that the passenger seat will jump up at them once you exit... and can smack them in the head. ]

After 50 or more 'jumps' from the tandem we haven't noticed a problem with that......depends on your equipment, I guess.

Given that you are fairly on to it, 1800 meters AGL, with an intended deployment at 1000, should leave you with good margins.

Even if these jumps technically are not BASE jumps, they are a very enjoyable way to use your BASE gear.

a deployment altidue of 1000 meters is almost 3300 feet. ("exit" altitdue being about 5900 feet)

It seems un-necessary to use BASE equipment deploying that high, does it not? (unless you REALLY like single-canopy systems)

^^It isn't necessary to use BASE equipment when deploying that high. I'd presume that most people making tamdem PG "jumps" on BASE gear are pulling significantly lower than 1000m... They'd be wasting a perfectly good BASE packjob :(
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

if you are fed up with the walls in LB (if that could ever happen);) you can drive to Interlaken and just get one of the Tandempilots (thats what we did)......the one we picked loved it and its easy money for him.........but then again you could be at the valley......

edit for site name ~TA

I will be using a normal rig (Vector 3, Sabre 150) with reserve etc..

That rig is fine for the altitude he's suggesting.

"I plan to jump at 1800m AGL and open at 1000m AGL. "
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I know tim, I meant to reply to MrBrant, but fucked up. My computer skills are lacking, we both know that;).

you back in town?

Corky Ferguson (the master rigger at the Taft, California, dropzone, and a longtime BASE jumper) has created a system that allows him to attach his paraglider wing to a BASE system, and then cut it away with a fairly standard cut away handle. He uses the paraglider wing to gain altitude and then goes back into freefall with the BASE gear.

speaking from experience, his setup is the shiznit. contact him as he will soon be offering his modification as a service to the base community.

PS - Look in the April Issue of Skydiving Magazine. ;)

--
Abbie
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE