cruzlite

Kill Line PC

I must be getting old...

After 12 yrs out of the sport, & a whooping 7 jumps under my belt...(since returning)...

I'm amazed by the new technology...
Loving the ZP...(not the packing)...

But, this kill line PC is makin me nervous...
Seems like an unnecessary pitfall to me..
(My landing speeds are plenty fast for me &
the last thing I want to experience is a PC in tow)

Soo.. I'm wondering, has anybody out there changed to a standard, (No kill) PC?

And, or, what effect does such a change have on flare, etc?

Thanks,
D

I have to disagree with Skybytch, If you do not care about the extra drag, then go with the standard PC. No need to put an extra risk upon yourself for a performance advantage that you don't care anything about. Yes they are very reliable Skybytch, but somtimes their packers are not. And yes I use a collapsable PC, but I also care about the advantage t hat it gives me.

My rig is older than when you quit vector 2 I've downsized to the "state of the art" 7-10 yr's ago? ZP the infamous Sabre 170.

I'm only loading the canopy at 1.1 so it's not a rocket and I believe in the k.i.s.s. principal so I just saved the money and switched pilot chutes from old canopy to new (no kill line).

AFAIK a kill line is like adding a little extra zip to your canopy, but I've also heard a lot of folks ask for a gear check including the kill line.

A newer jumper asked me to check his kill line and I told him sorry don't know how:o. He was surprised there was something else.

BTW we also have B-12 hardware on our leg straps so no falling over putting the rig on and lots of comfort walking back to the packing area.

But it's hard to look cool with the old fart stuff.

Whatever floats your boat.

R.I.P.

If you are comfortable with the standard PC, then go with it.

On the size of parachute you have, it shouldn't affect the flight performance noticably. If in doubt, try a couple of jumps back to back for comparison. Then decide for yourself.

I think a good deal of this sport is about confidence and comfort. Try both, then choose what you feel is right for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

With a Triathlon 190 (as your profile states) you can probably get away without the hassle of a kill-line pilotchute.
All this depends upon wing loading.
At wing loadings below 1 pound per square foot, the type of pilotchute will make little difference.
With wing-loadings up to 1.3, a bungee-collapsible pilotchute will work fine, as long as you remember what you are wearing when doing hop-and-pops.
When wing-loadings exceed 1.3, you are better off with a kill-line pilotchute.
For example, back when I jumped a 220 square foot, F-111 nine-cell - loaded at 1:1 - I noticed a significant improvement in landings when I switched to a bungee-collapsible pilotchute. That little extra forward speed on final approach translated into a more aggressive flare and softer landings - for my old knees.
Now I have a bungee-collapsible pilotchute on one of my rigs and a kill-line on the other. As soon as I find the spare time, I will sew up a couple of new kill-line pilotchutes.

Thanks everyone...

It is the user - not so much the Kill line PC
itself I'm concerned about...

will spring for or standard, or sew PC & see how it goes...

"That little extra forward speed on final approach translated into a more aggressive flare and softer landings - for my old knees."
I am guessing there is a trade off here, (idiot proof
openings for somewhat diminished flare)

Do you advise starting flare slightly higher?

Thanks,
D

PS/ Slug - We seem to have similar mind sets...
If & when I order a new VIII it will have B-12s

Hi Cruzlite

""PS/ Slug - We seem to have similar mind sets...
If & when I order a new VIII it will have B-12s""

There is another option and that's to get long leg straps & let the slack out, lay the rig on the ground step into the leg staps and then lift the rig up and cinch up the straps. That way you can still look hi speed B| and let out the slack for the walk back.

I think B-12's are a age thing.:)
R.I.P.

although I do use packers, I always cock the p/c myself.

On the rare occasion I do use packers, I will cock the P/C and set my brakes myself. I find this to be very common.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I thought all packers got you to do this so that if one brake came undone or your pc wasn't cocked or something to that effect it wouldn't fall back on them...

Well I use a standard PC and bridle. No kill line.
I cant speak to the advantages of a kill line from experience but they are well documented so there is no need.
I CAN say that they arent necessary and if you feel more comfy using a regular ol PC/Bridle like me, go for it.
Your mental level of comfort will have an enormous effect on your enjoyment of your jumps.
Do what makes you comfortable. A Standard PC and bridle certainly isnt going to decrease your safety.

Had b-12s on my first, (Billy Bookman)(sp), rig...
I still miss em...

"you can still look hi speed"
bwaaaahahaha! (The days of my "high speed
look" are over, I'm afraid...

But thanks for the tip;
"They might limit you if you want to do crw"
I always wanted to try it... never thought about the lines hangin on B-12s

Good to hear from you, Blahr, & everyone else.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Lu7k,
D

"They might limit you if you want to do crw"
I always wanted to try it... never thought about the lines hangin on B-12s

Good to hear from you, Blahr, & everyone else.
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Check with the folks on the CRW forum about the B-12'sif your interest in CRW . I wanted quick ejector's and it didn't go over very well.:S

It never to late to look "high speed":)

Old joke: Who said skydivers are stupid we invented a whole new way to kill ourselves!:o Check out the incident's forum for more info.

We saw in your profile that your from KC. After 15 yr's we decided the weather was usually either to hot or to cold but jumping wasn't seasonal if you were hard core (young and dumb) . Last time we jumped there was at Lexington before than Edgerton Ks with Ka -Mo skydivers. I assume the metro plex has already gotten to Edgerton by now.

R.I.P.

Nan Woods (see; 1st 60way-life mag) used to say;
"I like skydiving too much to kill myself doing crew".
(Pretty much sums up my current outlook)

I'm afraid the part of my profile that is not 'high speed' lies between the "full face & the booties:ph34r:

"Last time we jumped there was at Lexington before than Edgerton Ks with Ka -Mo skydivers. I assume the metro plex has already gotten to Edgerton by now."

(1980/1st at Prairie Lake, to Hinkley & Sandwich to
KC in 1988 at MRVS Lexington).
At that time I believe Wellsville (Edgerton) was still
open, but I could never get hooked up there. They ceased operations at about that time.
Metro is south of Olathe, but not to Edgerton yet.
I am not familiar with KA-MO, but I notice Tommie mentions KAMO on the MRVS site;
http://www.skydivemrvs.com/index.html

Washington is beautiful, & from what I hear has some great DZs...How sweet it must be!

Lu7k,
D

the kill line will make you look younger :P
and will prevent having your canopy pulled behind by the wind. It will fly better, even if it not always very significant.
and if scared by forgetting to uncock the kill line, get yourself a bungee system which is also efficient, and very sufficient on "slow" flying canopies. (AFAIK)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I still rent gear and although I took a packing class, I have never packed my own chute since the class. I remember cocking the PC in the class, but this talk about it getting forgotten and then having a pilot chute in tow malfunction has got me thinking I might need to show extra special attention to this in the future when returning the gear to the packing area. Thanks.

PcCoder.net

Have you ever forgotten to set your brakes?

If not, keep using the kill-line, because after awhile, it becomes as automatic and ingrained as that.

Of course, there are those that argue that "auto-pilot packing" is dangerous (I am one of them) but I think your fear of a pilot chute in tow will keep you safe. I have been jumping a kill line for like 2000+ jumps and still check the window and do inflation tests before packing it up, etc. etc.

It's worth the stress if your canopy needs one.

"I have been jumping a kill line for like 2000+ jumps and still check the window and do inflation tests before packing it up, etc. etc. "

If it wasn't for this feature I wouldn't use a kill line at all...

I'm wondering how many times people have found
that their PCs have come 'un-set' after putting the canopy in the bag?
D

"I have been jumping a kill line for like 2000+ jumps and still check the window and do inflation tests before packing it up, etc. etc. "

If it wasn't for this feature I wouldn't use a kill line at all...

It's funny. As someone else said, it's largely about personal preference and comfort.

I've never trusted the window. I just incorporated cocking my pc into my packing procedure:
once when I first lay my rig down, once after I stow my lines, and a visual check as I fold the pilot chute.
Only takes a few seconds.

BTW, I agree with the others that said to get a fixed pilot chute if you want to.

If my BASE canopy can fly well with a 46" pc, yours can certainly handle a 28" or so pc with no problem.
-Josh

If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.