Zeemax

Fatality in the UK

Hey guys and girls... I really dont have any info on this other than what's here, but i thought you may like to see it.

Not sure what BASE people say in this instance, so i'll stick to what i would say... BSBD :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4798878.stm
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

The Times - Monday March 13th

Base Jumper Dies

A 25 year old man died at ****** in ******** after a night time base jump from an electricity pylon. He was with two friends who immediately called for help. A police spokesman said "we do not know whether the parachute opened or not"

This is what has appeared in the papers and is vague and unhelpful to say the least. All that is known for sure is that the jumper died after a high speed impact with the ground following some undisclosed problem with equipment/deployment. That's it. Any speculation beyond that would be unwise and unnecessary.

I'm sure the full picture will become clearer in the forthcoming days.

ian

:(:(:( Fly free man... Condolences to the family.
My sympathy goes out to the UK crew.

If anyone knows the name please PM me as i have a friend who jumps this place all the time.......

Thankfully its not who i thought it was, HOWEVER, my heart goes out to the family & friends of this person & let this person have peace for ever more!

Rest in Peace,

Is there anymore info on this?

May we live long and die out

My sincerest condolences to family and friends.

I hope it's not out of line to say but it was nice to read an article about a fatality that didn't run BASE through the mud. I have much respect for his father and his outlook.

BSBD

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

RIP Paul... :(
My sincerest condolences go out to the family.
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

I have info from the other jumper that was there.
if u want to know send me a PM
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

I just read on Blinc that Paul's pullup around his PC was the cause of this fatality. This is the second fatility due to people using an assistant (rubber band, pullup) to pack a PC. If you must use something, use a clamp. Frankly, you don't need anything other than your own 2 hands to pack a perfect pud. If you can't pack that way I'll be glad to teach you. This isn't that difficult folks: Dont put anything around you PC that if you forget, will kill you.

To the folks teaching people this method: STOP! It just killed again. How lame are you that you need a crutch to perform the simplest of tasks.

Good point Tree...I was watching a friend pack the other day and he was using a black bungie, with black lines, wrapped around his lines to keep the lines together. I told him you miss it once and you'll never miss it again. I used a pullup a couple of times for the same task and decided it wasn't worth the risk!

Even clamps can be forgotten. Doctors do it frequently...count your tools and then count them again...

If your going to field pack your rig, for any reason, put your PC inside the container. Then there is no way you'll accidentally jump that rig. It has happened.

yah, i had read that on the uk site last night as well. wasn't sure if it was true, but that's just bad news. i'd imagine it would be tough to leave a clamp in a pack job without noticing it, but never-the-less, i personally refuse to use anything while packing that doesn't belong on there on deployment. maybe i'm just paranoid.

Paranoia will keep you alive; crazy, but alive.

that's my excuse.;) very true.

i think there's a song about that.:P

~E

Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean someone isn't following you.

I agree with the no tools. Learned from CR's old mojo packing videos. No clamps or tools of any kind. Other than a big weight of course;)

May we live long and die out

I agree with the no tools. Learned from CR's old mojo packing videos.

i pack with alot of tools. but i was taught to count them before i start and count them again when i'm done.

tree, you referenced a previous fatality documented on the list, could you be more specific (#). i read the list everytime we loose a fellow jumper, but i can't reconcile this incident with previous ones.

i'm sorry as hell that paul is gone but even sorrier that the specifics of this fatality were not made known to the BASE community sooner. some of us will learn from them.

i'm sorry as hell that paul is gone but even sorrier that the specifics of this fatality were not made known to the BASE community sooner. some of us will learn from them.

but isn't this from you too when Tom died..

***Blair, thank you for posting this when you felt ready...

I hear what you're saying, but ease off on the guilt trips please. It has been just over a week since the incident. Paul isn't even buried yet and facts are not always immediately apparant after an incident of this sort, although speculation is rife. I still don't know why exactly Tom Manship died and that was in January - you yourself implied that alcohol could have been a factor in the equation

Last week he posted and commented that he was drinking in preparation for jumping all night on New Years Eve, I thought it was hilarious!

but this it seems was misleading or easy to misunderstand. Regardless, many people i know who read that were given the impression that alcohol could have impaired Tom's judgement on the jump that night.

When facts are hazy sometimes it's best to keep tight lipped until the mist lifts and the picture becomes a lot clearer.

There are also political repercussions in this case and handled badly it could polarise opinions based on loyalties and not facts.

The truth will out, sometimes it just takes time.