ericmillionaire

Wire strike

Well I made my first jump from an A last night. 490ft hand held about a 2 sec.delay. It was my first jump on new gear. I opened with a 90 degree right and got on my left riser right away but it was too late. I hit the wire and my canopy wrapped around it ans started sliding down. A second later I was flying free towards the landing zone. I got lucky.
First jump from an A
First jump on new gear
First wire strike
I owe three cases of beer.

Eric

First off, as I saw another jumper say in a post, "You don't owe beer. That’s skydiving shit." :D

What were the weather conditions? Wind speed? Direction in reference to the guy wires.

Coco

It was a cross wind jump. I started off jumping in the right direction but backed off from the launch I was supposed to jump from and when I stepped back I inadvertantly jumped about 45 degrees to the right . the wind was coming from the left of me.

It was my first jump on new gear.

Did you tune your brake settings?

It was a cross wind jump.

How strong?

Well I made my first jump from an A last night. 490ft hand held about a 2 sec.delay. It was my first jump on new gear. I opened with a 90 degree right and got on my left riser right away but it was too late. I hit the wire and my canopy wrapped around it ans started sliding down. A second later I was flying free towards the landing zone. I got lucky.
First jump from an A
First jump on new gear
First wire strike
I owe three cases of beer.

Eric

-
You only got on One Rear Riser ? The Left ?

but backed off from the launch I was supposed to jump from and when I stepped back I inadvertantly jumped about 45 degrees to the right

Is that a posh way of saying you fell off ?:)

Im glad you are not hurt and you can smile about it.

Crosswind as in down the wire, or crosswind as in 90-degrees off your intended exit heading?
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

What were you doing jumping an antenna on new gear, with five BASE jumps, in a crosswind?

Who were you with? Did you ever think, "hmmm.... this may be a bad idea...."

Crosswind at exit usually means wind through the wires. You could turn around and jump the other side where the wind will be blowing 30 degrees off the wires. That would be better.Why would you jump into a sector with a crosswind?

Winds were less than 5mph.
I got on my left riser because I turned to the right. After I hit the wire I pulled both front risers down in an attempt to dive away from the wire, which luckily worked. I backed away from the launch becaus I was freaking out. It took about 15min. to convince myself to jump.

1.) You owe no beer. BASE ain't skydiving.

B.) Could you draw me a picture? I'm having a hard time visualizing how you started off jumping in the "right direction", but ended up in a crosswind. Unless you were leaving from the very single point where all lines converge, what you claim occurred seems impossible confusing.

Otherwise, glad you're here to tell the tale...but I must ask, have you practiced object avoidance off more forgiving objects?

-C.

B.) Could you draw me a picture? I'm having a hard time visualizing how you started off jumping in the "right direction", but ended up in a crosswind. Unless you were leaving from the very single point where all lines converge, what you claim occurred seems impossible confusing.

Otherwise, glad you're here to tell the tale...but I must ask, have you practiced object avoidance off more forgiving objects?

-C.

-
This Is a EASY & FORGIVING OBJECT ! It does not get much nicer than this.

I got on my left riser because I turned to the right. After I hit the wire I pulled both front risers down in an attempt to dive away from the wire, which luckily worked. I backed away from the launch becaus I was freaking out. It took about 15min. to convince myself to jump.

-

..."I got on my left riser because I turned to the right."
OK forget all the wind direction stuff right now. Or the way you front riser dived off the Wire. This BASE Jump, a 3-wire Antenna jump with no-slider is one the easyiest and one of the safer BASE jumps you are going to do. Yet you still managed to fuck it up. If this a sincere and real post. It is clear that no one is giving you proper basic Canopy recovery technique for BASE object strike avoidance in an off heading problem. Dealing with the off heading on a No-Slider jump with ONLY a single rear Riser grab. Man you need to get the proper help to lay down the technique that will keep you alive. You Don't Turn a BASE Canopy in no-slider object avoidance like you are steering a car away from hitting the Ditch.
I am not going to get into this anymore and give Canopy Technique advice like I have to others that Did Not know how to handle off headings because I am just getting really fucking Tired of it.

I'm confused too...
what part of your canopy hit the wire?? If you hit the wire and then started to slide down it how would doing double front risers clear the situation? Did you hit the wire going backwards? Did the canopy collapse and then as it let you free you front risered it thinking that cleared the entanglement?
Why didn't you just back down from the jump if you were 'freaking out'? If you cannot get your head straight you should not be jumping...period!

Do you really want to die from this sport? If not please use a little more caution and VALUE your LIFE more than a measly jump.

I also agree with the crosswind thing... if it was a crosswind exit you would have been correct in going off the other side...basic common sense.

play safe
Jason

Glad you're ok, were you alone? Ground crew? Big 'ol slice of humble pie, huh? You know to get your gear TOTALY INSPECTED, right? Wire damage can get pretty severe, some of it the "average" parachute user will not detect until it fails. Getting off the wire is awesome! No damage to you?

1st off a guyed A, new gear, low jump #s, cross winds??

sounds like a recipe for disaster.

i hope you were drunk. because the only real excuses to hit a guy wire are being drunk and inexperienced, or celebrating your birthday.

also, who the hell freefalls handheld from 500ft for ONLY 2 seconds?

you'd have been safer to jump from lower. IMO of course.

\
He's right, you owe a bag of cocaine, a hand full of mushrooms and a fifth of whisky.:P
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

No Pot?!?! WTF! :P

\
He's right, you owe a bag of cocaine, a hand full of mushrooms and a fifth of whisky.:P
~J

I can see why some are confused. We were jumping off an ice shield which might paint a better picture. If I knew how to draw a pic and attach it I would, but I don't. As far as it being a crosswind jump, that was'st exactly true. I wasn't jumping directly with the wind, it was probably 10-15 degrees off. I used my front risers after the canopy cleared because it wasn't the quickest way to get away from the wire. As I stated earlier I was jumping with an experienced. I have practiced avoidance drills dozens of times. I took a FJC last ear so I do know a few things about jumping. The people that jump to conclusions about me or bring my ability into question do nothave a right to do so. You don't know me and you weren't there. You don't know what happened.

Eric

The people that jump to conclusions about me or bring my ability into question do nothave a right to do so. You don't know me and you weren't there. You don't know what happened.

Well, a few of us do know a thing or two about BASE jumping. It's pretty easy to figure out what's going on when somebody posts about an incident they had.

New jumper: "I went out last night and (this) happened."

Experienced jumpers: "Well, tell us what the conditions were and give us an idea of your experience level."

New jumper: "Well, conditions were bad and I'm totally new to this."

Experienced jumpers: "Well, we would have been expecting that to happen but because you weren't with somebody who could have told you what to look out for, you had to learn firsthand."

New jumper: "None of you were there. You don't know what happened."

You don't think the rest of us have watched or experienced what you just described? We might not have been on that particular jump with you, but between all of the experienced jumpers here, we've seen a few BASE jumps go wrong so we might just have an idea.

I have practiced avoidance drills dozens of times.

Dozens? On what BASE jumps? Your profile only mentions five previous BASE jumps. And as I have asked above; did you tune your brake settings for the brand new canopy?

I'm trying not to judge. I got hit in the face with a cliff just a few weeks ago so I'm no better jumper than you are. The reason I want to know these things is because they mean the difference between freak incidents and rationally explicable and predicable events.

If you had tuned your brake settings to minimize forward speed on opening, done thirty obstacle avoidance drills at the Perrine (and could show me video of your last three ones), jumped in zero winds, and had a stable exit; then the only conclusion is a freak incident. If on the other hand you skipped most of these steps and let your enthusiasm get the better of you, then we can understand the chain of events that ultimately led to this outcome.

The only thing that allows me to be in this sport is a chance to avoid the mistakes that others have made. If I don't know what mistakes they are, I can't even try.

Hey Eric, bring your 3 cases of beer to the Iron Manship base comp and tell your war story there. I would be happy to hear more about it.Until then be safe and get your gear checked out, Pete.

hey, ericthemillionare & Pete S. It was not his/the gear that is the problem.
The problem is he does not know the proper was to Turn a BASE Canopy with an undesirable heading after opening. Fuck he DID NOT Even Have a 180.
The problem was a SIMPLE 90 deg. opening. Christ how fucking easy could it be. All he had to do was reach up and grab both rear risers and yard down till he SLOW the fucking forward momentum a Little. Then let off an turn his Heading away from the wire.
This has NOTHING to do with Brake Settings or Wind or any of the other speculative Shit that everyone saying. The mother fucker has no business up on a Antenna if he has NO Idea what he is doing.
READ WHAT THE FUCK HE IS WRITING.
ericmillionaire:
I can see why some are confused. We were jumping off an ice shield which might paint a better picture. If I knew how to draw a pic and attach it I would, but I don't. As far as it being a crosswind jump, that was'st exactly true. I wasn't jumping directly with the wind, it was probably 10-15 degrees off. I used my front risers after the canopy cleared because it wasn't the quickest way to get away from the wire. As I stated earlier I was jumping with an experienced. I have practiced avoidance drills dozens of times. I took a FJC last ear so I do know a few things about jumping. The people that jump to conclusions about me or bring my ability into question do nothave a right to do so. You don't know me and you weren't there. You don't know what happened.
-
The wind was blowing OFF THE WIRE. (not down the wire) . (not across the wire) . It Was Blowing AWAY FROM THE WIRE. It was not even directing the flight heading of his canopy toward the wire. He was not Taught or ever taught the proper way to handle a BASE canopy. He has be practicing (dozens of times) Avoidance Drills, The WRONG WAY. He took and FJC last year that taught him how to flop off a fucking bridge and land a BASE canopy on a football size landing area. This is fucking pathetic.
ericthemillionare throws up this BASE fuckup on a Thread and is looking for ACCEPTANCE ?. He will get no fucking Acceptance of BASE proficiency or sympathy from me. Till he learns the VERY BASICS of survival. The simple turning of BASE canopy a few degrees away from the wire. With 490 foot exit and only a 2-second delay. This is the simplest and MINIMUM REQUIREMENT that is expected from him as a BASE jumper . He could not even do it.