cornishe

IronBASE Competition

The registration and pledge amounts seem high at $150 and $2500; maybe $50 to register and whatever you can get for per jump pledges would allow more people to participate.
Peace,
Karen

I must not have explained myself very well since you and Russel mistook what I meant.

The $150 was just a suggestion for a pledge goal. I used the $2500 reference as just that, a reference. I was just stating that that is what the women on 'Jump for the Cause' must come up with. I know BASE jumpers are poor so thats why I threw out the LOW amount of $150. Although why not dream big... why are we any different than them?

Any charity in my mind would be good as long as it's a charity and not a business that uses the charity persona to fatten the owners pockets :(.

Keep the ideas flowing.....

Abbie, Tom, let me know how I can help out :)
Jason

Ok I have a few more ideas...

How about a gear auction to raise money?

Or how about we ask for people or companies to 'sponsor' a BASE jumper by donating something like $50 or $100. This will 'buy' them free ad space on the jumper of their choice for a set # of jumps. The ad space can be a simple t-shirt with their name or logo on it. I'm sure if we send out a few press releases it will be covered by the media and that will in turn bring companies looking to get exposure at the event.

Just thinking......

Speakinig of the TF Chamber of Commerce, have you seen their 2006 publication "Images"? It has a jumper (sort of, it's Heather Singleton) on the cover and a very nice article about the growing popularity of base in TF. Very nice to have a town that appreciates us.

Cya

Very nice to have a town that appreciates us.

It is. I've always said, why force yourself somewhere you aren't wanted? Bridge Day and the associated revenue belongs in Twin Falls. But that's another story... :)
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

I have a question. I'm not sure how many jumps I'll have come time but is there going to be a jump # requirement to be able to participate? Even if I am not allowed to, I would still be willing to raise $ per jump for any of the Houston crew that attends.

Crap, if nothing else I'm sure Brit could use someone to fan her down in between jumps. :P:D

...is there going to be a jump # requirement to be able to participate?

Nothing is set in stone yet, but I don't think so.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm not sure how many jumps I'll have come time but is there going to be a jump # requirement to be able to participate? Even if I am not allowed to, I would still be willing to raise $ per jump for any of the Houston crew that attends.

I don't think they can stop you from jumping, just from competing. doesn't that bridge still host death-camps?

hopefully, they'll consider some sort of catagories. it sounds like a great way to challenge people, but I can't compete against Miles. [:/]
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I don't think they can stop you from jumping, just from competing.

Uh...yeah. But that would be the point of the trip for me...not to "compete" but to help raise money...if it takes me hiking out a couple times and that's all I can do..oh well..at least I helped a good cause.

doesn't that bridge still host death-camps?

Not sure, I already attended mine locally :P

it sounds like a great way to challenge people, but I can't compete against Miles. [:/]

Is it really about the competition anyway?

Why does everyone feel that if they compete they must win or have a shot at it? Sheesh, men. ;)

is there going to be a jump # requirement to be able to participate?

Hell no. This is base jumping. You bought your gear, and its your jump; you're life is on the line. If you can't figure out when it is safe for YOU at YOUR SKILL LEVEL to jump then you shouldn't be in this sport. People seem to be losing this quality and the plus side is that they will be weeded out Darwin-style as long as they keep jumping.

Gooooooooooooooooooo DARWIN! yayyyy!!!

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Is it really about the competition anyway?

uh, yeah, it's in the name.:P

Why does everyone feel that if they compete they must win or have a shot at it? Sheesh, men. ;)

well...
um...
uh...
ooh, something cool is coming on the t.v.!
gotta go!
DON'T PANIC

Hell no. This is base jumping. You bought your gear, and its your jump; you're life is on the line. If you can't figure out when it is safe for YOU at YOUR SKILL LEVEL to jump then you shouldn't be in this sport. People seem to be losing this quality and the plus side is that they will be weeded out Darwin-style as long as they keep jumping.

I agree, Abbie. And to avoid any confusion, let me say that I wasn't asking "will you tell me if conditions are appropriate for my level?". I read the word "invitational" in an earlier post. I could show up at the GoFast games with 20 base jumps and say "Oh yeah, I'll be fine..." but that's also why they have a 100 jump minimum. With you guys organizing it, I didn't know if you were going to put a minimum experience rule into affect for the competition.

well...
um...
uh...
ooh, something cool is coming on the t.v.!
gotta go!

classic.

*Edited to add: I do understand that RG is a lot more technical than TF, and also requires an invitation, but I was just using it as an example.

I read the word "invitational" in an earlier post.

true.

while the Go Fast RG event is an "invitational," this event seems more like an "open" event. and if you are trying to raise money, why limit the number of competitiors?
DON'T PANIC

is there going to be a jump # requirement to be able to participate?

That's a really good point that is completely lost on the skydiving community, unfortunately. I think it is just as applicable there as in BASE.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

and if you are trying to raise money, why limit the number of competitiors?

Understood.

So now I will crawl back into my corner and go with another previous post:

So what you're saying is the don't be stupid rule is in affect?... No?

YES.

;)

She quoted me!!! She quoted me!!!!

WOO HOO!!!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

the don't be stupid rule is in affect?

YES.
;)

well, if I can attend, I hope the rule is, ah, generously applied!:P
DON'T PANIC

Pity you can't spell. It should be "effect" :P.

The spelling is accurate. Affect is simply the wrong word. ;)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

If we are going to do this event with raising money for a (any) charity, do we need to set up a nonprofit org. that would handle the donations and distribution of monies to the selected charity (s)? To prove that everything is on the up and up and there is some accountability.

Because if anyone did get a corporate sponsor for this, that group would want the tax write off, and I assume would want to make sure their money reached its intended benefactors.

just a thought,

nic

we'll see how good of a turnout we get and how much we raise and then the following years we can worry about setting up a 501c3. for now, we will collect the money and just make the donations. if anyone wants a receipt we will segment the donations and have the organization that the money reach write a receipt for that person/sponsor.

To be honest, I'm not sure yet how to handle possible corporate sponsorship. I dont want the event to turn into a circus promotional event.

ps - we're now working on big events for BOTH memorial AND labor day weekends. :)
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

I would pick a charity in Twin Falls, anything to keep showing the community how much we appreciate being able to jump the bridge, and to show Twin and other cities that BASE jumpers are an asset to their community.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

If we are going to do this event with raising money for a (any) charity, do we need to set up a nonprofit org. that would handle the donations and distribution of monies to the selected charity (s)? To prove that everything is on the up and up and there is some accountability.

Fortunately, that's already been done.

Parachutes for Kids is a local charity established by jumpers to help disabled children locally. I don't see why we couldn't just donate to them. Alternately, we could donate to any number of other local charities.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

GREAT!! I already have a few friends who will donate IF the money goes to kids. They also said they will come and help out the jumpers during the event. Bologne sandwiches, bottles of water, etc. I really dont want a publicity stunt, I want to raise money for those who need it IN the TF area. A thank you, a really big thank you.

nic