cornishe

IronBASE Competition

This summer in Twin Falls we are working towards organizing an Ironman of BASE. Here's the rules proposed:

6am - 8pm (14 hour window)
1 Rig per person allowed. (You can substitute in an unpacked rig in case of damage)
All jumps will be REAL BASE jumps aka packed in a containeer.
You must pack for yourself.
Pilot chutes must be stowed (this was decided so that no one routes their shit through a leg strap because they're in a rush to get to the exit)
Participants must always climb out.

Who would attend?
What suggestions do you have for our rules?
How about a buy-in and prize money?
Or a way to make this a charitable event?

Before the jokes start... I think I'll end up in last place but it will be a lot of fun.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

I might be interested. Do you have a date in mind? I know there's no way I would win, but at least I should be able to finish ahead of Abbie. :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm in.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

make it 21-29 april and I'm there

and someone invincible too...

Oh and you should be able to finish ahead of Peter and Adam since they wouldn't be showing up for their first jumps until some time after noon. ;)

i'd be in. i'd be good for at least two. :P

but, i probably won't be back from shitville until september.:(

Im totaly there for the april thing we should have swooping your base canopy, as well and, time how fast your climb out is. and no is aloud to do speed, but me.
I'll bring cheer leaders, easy cheer leaders. so we can all
get something ,after the competition.
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

I added one more rule up there to make it clear... You must pack for yourself.

I don't think we will be able to swing april. Its better to hold this in the summer though, we conditions and daylight hours are further in our favor.

im glad people are already responding positively!
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

just as long as Miles cant make it he will kick all of our buts but say when and Illl be there I love alittle spelling compitition
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Will you include swimming?

How will you avoid packing errors? Will you consider a mandatory pin- and three-ring check before exit?

How will you avoid high cutaways or dangerous swoops?

No.

How will you avoid packing errors? Will you consider a mandatory pin- and three-ring check before exit?

After seeing you and Collin survive enough times I've accepted they always open.

By calling border patrol and keeping you in Canadia.
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

That to me seems like the only rules should be... don't be stupid. Yeah, that's a dumb rule but it's realistic.

Packing errors.. you should see how some people pack and have for 10 years withough incident. How do you determine an error besides it malfunctioning?

Flying to the base of the climbout intentionally is pretty dangerous as well so no intentionally landing in the rocks.

I would almost suggest that if at all possible land in the big landing area to avoid low deployments and short canopy rides. However, that's kinda tough sometimes too. I use a slider if I'm jumping all day, I've had real short rides using a 2 second delay so hmmmmm... ponder that for a while.

Cutting away unless you are in the trees, injured or going to drown is plain stupid so that one fits in the don't do stupid things category.

Edit: Gear checks are a very good Idea

That's my initial 2 cents. Perhaps I'll work my way up to 4 or even 6 as time passes.

im not into too many rules but there are all good ideas (except for jaap of course). landing in the boulder field should be allowed (accuracy) if you're capable. I won't be landing there, but someone else might trust themself in there? fuck, we can get rid of the stowed pc rule too, but its nice to have a uniform packing requirement for everyone.

ps - jaap... http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1784228#1784228
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

I'm in for sometime in either May or July. Will be having too much fun in Switzerland, Italy and Norway in June to make it to Twin.
-C.

Most of us mortals should be looking at this day as a marathon and not a sprint. Pacing oneself will be the key. Having lot's of food and water available between packing, jumping and hiking. Sure someone might be able to save a little time by landing closer to the climbout. But are they really going to save that much time?

The most I've ever climbed out was 4 maybe 5 times and I think the most jumps I've made there in one day was 7 or 8 (the time Oscar and I first met you and Sammer). So my goal if I was to do this IronBASE day would be 7 maybe 10 jumps (if I'm in shape) and who knows if I could even do that many? But pacing oneself and staying hydrated is the key. Cutting corners isn't going to save you that much time (at least for us mortal jumpers).

So what you're saying is the don't be stupid rule is in affect?... No?

[replyHow about a buy-in and prize money?

How about a buy-in and prize money?

I think that a buy-in Charity event of sorts is a great idea...
Do something good for Twin Falls as well as hold a competition.
Here's my spin on it...
Charge a minumum $150 fee to enter the contest. Get people to promise to sponsor jumpers on a per jump basis A good model to look at is "Jump for the Cause'. The jumpers pledged to get at least $2500 in donations to participate.
Net proceeds go to a charity or organization in Twin, meaning most of the funds. But some can be set aside for plaques or trophies or cash prizes.
Maybe have awards for displaying good skills such as most standup landings in a certain area, most on heading openings, etc.

Just a few thoughts before I head to bed....

Jason

NOICE!

Problem is if I don't dope myself, Maggot is going to tear me apart! Or maybe I just drop some LSD in his coffee before the competition; that'll make it for an interesting day!

Few more rules...

Landing target. This serves three purposes: accuracy under canopy, avoiding landing close to the base of the climb out, and everyone will start the climb-out from the same location.

Swoop should be considered not in term of "distance"(pain in the ass to set up the gates, measuring distance and such) but more in term of hook turns (front risers only), let say a 90 will subtract you 1 minute, a 180 2 minutes, and so forth.

Aerials...You must give extra points for aerials...

So you can have: aerial -1min (3 gainers = -3 min), on heading opening -1, 90 swoop -1, hitting the target -1, stand up -1, and so forth.

Here is how it could work. You made 20 jumps. The average climb-out is 10 minutes/jump without any points. You have -30 minutes in stuff so that equals to 3 extra jumps hence the grand total is 23 jumps.
Memento Audere Semper

Oh and you should be able to finish ahead of Peter and Adam since they wouldn't be showing up for their first jumps until some time after noon. ;)

To keep it as real as possible, all IronBASE competitors will be required to drink until they vomit beginning at 11pm the night before the competition.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

No.

Hell YES!

If we include a good swimming segment (say, you have to swim back to centennial park after every jump) I stand a good chance of being crowned "World's Best BASE Jumper" on the strength of my swimming skills.

It's all about stacking the competition to your own strengths, baby. ;)

Can we throw in an elevator hot-wiring event, too?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Aerials...You must give extra points for aerials...

A wise(ass) man once said, "Aerials are so 90's." :P

Abbie, i'd definitely be up for it. And when you factor in all the swimming i'll inevitably be doing, even YOU could beat me! I think making it a charity event would be great. We can always stand to do a little brown-nosing toward the good people of TF... especially now that they have to live with you on a full-time basis.

For real though, my money is on Baxter. That man climbs like a mountain goat on crack. Just don't get stuck behind him on a Huevos Rancheros morning. :S

-Brandy

Thanks for the plug Brandy! ;)

We do need a rule about weather. I.e. an 'official' weather person to make a 'competition on' or 'competition off' decision both before an during the event so the winner is not the person who jumps in the worst conditions if winds pick up and half the competitors decide not to jump.

Just my $.02

Baxter.

if i were there i would call it a must to use to boat out.. its a BASe competition not a climbinh competition..

I would kick your arse if i could be there..:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber