magot

BURNING SITES

I was on top of an object in the city in which i live and I saw this Official BASE site," Graffity"now why would some one do that doesn't that burn the site. I'm not to up on the hole edicate thing so maybe someone could fill me in. But none the less the jump was mad crazy and when I landed these kids, were like did you just jump off that --- and i said hells yah. they said your crazy. like I've never heard that.
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Glad ya had a good jump Magot. And yes, Grafitti at the exit point is not proper Base etiquette, and could potenially hurt/burn the site. But hey, I'm sort-of-guilty of leaving stickers at most of the exit points that I come across. So maybe I'm not the best person to comment on something like that.

I am pretty sure Gardner did not include tagging sites with stickers in his training. Hope you are not decorating any of the ATL sites I play on.

Leaving stickers at an exit is same way uncool as taging it with a graffiti. Why would you do this? The only consequence is that the exit gets unnecessary attention.
It’s kind of childish doing this.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

But hey, I'm sort-of-guilty of leaving stickers at most of the exit points that I come across. So maybe I'm not the best person to comment on something like that.

That is a sure way NOT to get intived to jump other folks objects!

Spray painting " Official Base Site " at the exit point, and sticking a small little sticker are two way different things. Nobody outside of the community knows what it is, let alone if they even see it. Official Base site all over the wall is just a little bit more obvious. I've only tagged objects that have a very low chance of anyone thats not a jumper being up there. And I haven't and wouldn't tag any objects that weren't in my area, or local to my crew. I'm one of the last people that would purposely burn an object. But if I want to tag one of my local objects with a Base sticker, then I will. I'm sorry if that makes you mad, or goes against your "ethics" or "etiquette" of Base Jumping Ray, but Base is what it is, and a little sticker doesn't go against mine.

I've only tagged objects that have a very low chance of anyone thats not a jumper being up there

What type of 'A' would that be then...?
If you can get up there....surely thats because its designed for people TO go up there....

Not provoking......just curious and asking

>>>I've only tagged objects that have a very low chance of anyone thats not a jumper being up there
~~um...in my opinion that is worse, if the exit point was highly trafficked a little sticker would mean less.Because in this case the only other people likely to be up there are more likely to notice that someone else has been there and care.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

what was it??

take only photographs...
leave only footprints...

i like the way that sounds.

Tagging BASE sites, whether they are "yours" or mine, is wrong.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

what ever happened to leave no trace?

Leave no trace? Then everyone thats made a base video is guilty of not only leaving a trace, but providing video proof that they were there and jumped.

What type of 'A' would that be then...?

It was an "A" that gets day blazed like every damn week, so I highly doubt the sticker is going to burn that site. And I put the sticker right next to the other BASE sticker that was already there.

um...in my opinion that is worse, if the exit point was highly trafficked a little sticker would mean less.Because in this case the only other people likely to be up there are more likely to notice that someone else has been there and care.***

I see your point, and agree.

just a thought...

It was an "A" that gets day blazed like every damn week

often what allows an A to be jumped without ramifications is the consent of the landowner, not the tower owner. i'm sure if the actual owners of the A were aware of trespassers, they would be more inclined to tighten up it's security. minimizing evidence of traffic other than by the technicians could prove to help keep an object open.

Spray painting " Official Base Site " at the exit point, and sticking a small little sticker are two way different things. Nobody outside of the community knows what it is, let alone if they even see it. Official Base site all over the wall is just a little bit more obvious. I've only tagged objects that have a very low chance of anyone thats not a jumper being up there.

Let's look at this from a different perspective, Chris... Who do you think property owners are more concerned about? Punk-ass kids tagging their property or BASE jumpers? (Note, I'm not calling YOU a punk-ass kid, I'm just using the term a property owner is likely to use when they find grafiti/stickers on the roof of their building, the top of their A, or crane, etc.) Shit, most of them probably don't know enough about BASE jumping to think their object is at risk of being jumped and/or they believe we're such a miniscule fringe element (at least for another year...maybe) that they're really not that concerned. So who gives a flying fcuk what the tag is?

The simple fact is that a tag or graffiti of any type tells them one thing for certain: *someone* was somewhere on their property they weren't supposed to be and if they're more likely to believe it was a "punk-ass kid" (which is the first thing that springs to most people's minds when they see tags), they're pretty damn likely to try and prevent that in the future.

Want to put a sticker on an object? How about putting it on your carry-on staticline?

-C.

And I put the sticker right next to the other BASE sticker

That makes it OK...? I'm confused...

Another question......again, not out of any other reason than I dont understand.....you do what you want to do....

Why do you feel a need to put a sticker on there, whats its purpose and/or the purpose for doing it...?

Dont get me wrong....not flaming you....just asking...

Colin, I see and understand your point. But what my point is, is that 99.9% of the time its not the sticker that burns the object, it's all of the other things involved with getting to the exit point, then making the jump, then getting away. For an example:
***But none the less the jump was mad crazy and when I landed these kids, were like did you just jump off that --- and i said hells yah. they said your crazy. like I've never heard that. ***
Getting seen making the jump has a far greater chance for the object getting closed. I'm not really trying to argue the point that tagging stickers isn't the best idea, but if you can show me when a site was burned strictly due to a sticker, and nothing else, then I'll go and take every sticker that I've ever put on anything, down.

then I'll go and take every sticker that I've ever put on anything, down.

one simple question: why do you feel the need to put a sticker up on the exit point of an object you jump like a skydiver does in the aircraft they jump?

[:/]

seriously though, why? what are you trying to achieve? what goes through your mind as you place that sticker on the rail?

I call troll.............

this is nuts

I'm sorry if that makes you mad, or goes against your "ethics" or "etiquette" of Base Jumping Ray, but Base is what it is, and a little sticker doesn't go against mine.

It's interesting to see someone who's avatar is the ABP logo making this argument.

I guess that the ABP's "Responsible Use" includes tagging exit points? I'll be sure to slap an ABP sticker over the survey marker on the big stone, the next time I'm there.

I suggest you call these folks for a little remedial training.

It's not just my ethics, or my etiquette, or even BASE ethics or BASE etiquette. It's general wilderness ethics, and wilderness etiquette. Viewed in a larger context, it's actually basic human etiquette.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...99.9% of the time its not the sticker that burns the object, it's all of the other things...

You're wrong.

It's the attitude that burns the object.

The same attitude that says "I'll damn well put a sticker on it if I please."

The same attitude that says "I'll damn well drive a truck down this trail if I please."

The same attitude that says "I'll damn well cut down this tree that's in the way if I please."

The same attitude that says "I'll damn well do whatever I please."

We haven't learned much in the last 25 years, have we?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Why do you feel a need to put a sticker on there, whats its purpose and/or the purpose for doing it...?

Well, every plane that I've ever jumped out of, I've put a sticker on the door for good luck. And so in that habit, ( whether its good/bad ), when I started Base jumping, I put a sticker on the exit point of everything that I jumped off of. Over the last 1 year that I've grown in the sport, I've gone back and taken some of them down, for the only reason of " not leaving a trace ". But now, through more time in the sport, I'm really failing to see how it realistically affects an object. Hypothetically it could burn the object, maybe, like colin was saying, but realistically, Its probably not going to due a thing.

Well, every plane that I've ever jumped out of, I've put a sticker on the door for good luck. And so in that habit, ( whether its good/bad ), when I started Base jumping...

Just to clarify: you were putting BASE stickers all over before you ever made a BASE jump?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'll be sure to slap an ABP sticker over the survey marker on the big stone, the next time I'm there.

That would be sweet. When I'm there this summer, I"ll put a "No NPS" sticker right next to yours. And I plan on jumping with my ABP t-shirt on, and if I get caught at the bottom, I'll give them my ABP membership card when asked for I.D.

What does the maker of the sticker think of the practice of tagging jump sites?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Graffiti, like litter, sucks.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary