PeteS

Releaseable slider grommets

Very simple, elegant design. B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

just for my understanding, what is that for?
sorry, didn´t had a coffee yet...
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

just for my understanding, what is that for?

It's a slider with releaseable grommets so that you can practice flying the line mod during a skydive.

- Z

>>How very clever! Jeez Pete, parachutes for bicycles, releasable slider grommets, is there anything you can't rig up?

most likely this this question is crap, but i wonder if this could also be used to clear a line-over on a base jump instead of using a hook knife or line-release-toggles?

It could be used, but you would have to do the line mod slider up, and releasing the grommets may not be 1. quick and easy, 2. acessible at all if the slide doens't come all the way down, which is very likey with a line over, and 3. It is unessesarily complicated and a premature release could be very bad.

But it does look good.

Cya

Do I understand it correctly that C&D lines go through the [regular] rear slider grommets and steering lines go through the additional detachable grommets, with toggles stowed in keepers without the guide ring?

If yes, isn't there a danger of slider hang up in case of a toggle fire?

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Good job.

This is similar to a design used by accuracy jumpers in the late 70s and early 80s.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Do I understand it correctly that C&D lines go through the [regular] rear slider grommets and steering lines go through the additional detachable grommets, with toggles stowed in keepers without the guide ring?

Yes, there is... But remember, PeteS designed this for use in SKYDIVING as a training aid for learning to fly a canopy w/ the line-release mod. You wouldn't use this on a BASE jump... You'd use this in preparing yourself for BASE and you'd have a reserve at the time.

-C.

Yes, there is... But remember, PeteS designed this for use in SKYDIVING as a training aid for learning to fly a canopy w/ the line-release mod. You wouldn't use this on a BASE jump... You'd use this in preparing yourself for BASE and you'd have a reserve at the time.

-C.

If you used it in conjunction with Russel's ring-release risers, you'd minimize the chance of premature toggle fire resulting in a stuck slider.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If you used it in conjunction with Russel's ring-release risers, you'd minimize the chance of premature toggle fire resulting in a stuck slider.

I do think Russticle's ring-release risers have a good application in BASE, but little in skydiving. That's adding another unnecessary bit of complexity and a purpose for which this slider was not designed.

-C.

It's pretty simple, use your base risers/toggles on a skydiving rig. Set the brakes with the slider up setting but with the slider down configuration (use brake set loop on riser). After deployment, pump slider down with risers if needed and release grommets. Then you may release the deployment brakes and "simulate" flying a slider down configuration from an airplane. With new jumpers coming into base eariler in their careers, they are in most cases not prepared to handle this configuration in a "high stress" environment. This aid will allow the relative saftey of the dropzone to be the learning environment.

how about just pulling your slider down past the toggles?

You could, but I personally wouldn't want to deal with the probability of prematurely unstowing them or having to fish them through by hand and then dropping one or both of them.

- Z

if you have mini risers and slinks (on skydiving rig) it is very easy to move the slider down past the toggles. takes less than a couple of seconds. i have done it on on every skydive in the last several years. accidental release of the toggle is very unlikely if you pay attention. if you drop one of them - great opportunity to practice riser landing.

if you have mini risers and slinks (on skydiving rig) it is very easy to move the slider down past the toggles. takes less than a couple of seconds. i have done it on on every skydive in the last several years. accidental release of the toggle is very unlikely if you pay attention. if you drop one of them - great opportunity to practice riser landing.

Do you not have keeper rings on your skydiving risers?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Through which the control lines are routed? Of course I do. I assumed that for this “free line mode practice jumps” the steering line is routed outside of them, just like for slider down jumps. I do not have the loop on my mini risers but installing it would be a much safer/simpler mod than the one described above. You do not really need the loop at all, just route the steering line in and out the ring and stow the toggle.

Victor, the idea here is for a "student" to get comfy flying base risers/ toggles with a base canopy in a low stress way.You cannot pull the slider over type 8 risers. It's as simple as changing a slider, a sail slider at that for opening comfort. Remember, jumpers are getting into this with fewer and fewer total jumps these days, if you can take stress out of the learning process they will get their "instant gratification" sooner.;)

Remember, jumpers are getting into this with fewer and fewer total jumps these days

And even in some cases, none..... :P

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Victor, the idea here is for a "student" to get comfy flying base risers/ toggles with a base canopy in a low stress way.]

my opinion is, if you want to teach "students" to fly base canopies in a safe way, do this with a student rig, place the base canopy inside and let them jump it like they find it in the real world afterwards (of course without a reserve).
if they should get familiar with riser-steering, they should learn to fly with not using the toggles and land in a designated area.
if they get in trouble with risersteering, they can come back to the toggles (you never know what they will do...).
once they are familiar with risers, then you can show them the releaseable toggles and they should practice this procedure as well.
it does not make sense to me, showing a student what he will not have on a regular rig, instead of teaching him the stuff he will probably have when he is in trouble with a slider-up-lineover with releaseable toggles.
in the manuals, at slider-up jumps the steering lines have to be routed through the guiding ring at the risers. and this is what he will find on a regular jump.
so why change it?
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

This slider is not (currently) for line overs. It's just to let students experience steering a canopy without having the steering lines routed through the slider or keeper rings, just like they will have to on a slider down base jump.

The idea is you can't skydive a base rig without a slider, but this lets you simulate a slider off jump.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage