brabzzz

Norway - practicalities.

If anyone could answer a couple of quick questions, that would be great!

1) Is it possible to survive there without a car (ie is there a shop, laundrette and pub?).

2) Don't suppose anyone knows/has an english link to the -fast- ferry timetable (the one that goes in the PM too).

3) Any hints/tips?

Cheers!
Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Norway is huge, but I expect you are going to Lysebotn to jump Kjerag.
1) You don't need a car for this. Fly to Stavanger Airport, get on the bus to Stavanger and then the ferry to Lysebotn. In Lysebotn you don't need a car. If you get so drunk that you cant walk between the different areas you should definitely not be driving :P This is also valid for fat Americans ;)
2) You can find the schedule at http://www.basekjerag.com (together with a lot of more information). Not really sure if it's updated for 2006, but if not, it will be updated before season starts.
3) Remember to do your shopping before coming to Lysebotn. You can buy beer and food there, but it is expensive (by Norwegian standards). By stuff in Stavanger before you board the ferry. Also remember to bring booze from the duty free at the airport. And if you don't drink, it's a cheap way to get friends ;)

-Jo Henrik

Yeah dude, what johenrik said. The most important tip you can get is bring you own food. And that means everything. Everything you can think of. Prepare yourself so that when the ferry leaves from Stavanger you have everything with you that you need to survive your upcoming stay at lysebotn.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Yeah dude, what johenrik said. The most important tip you can get is bring you own food alcohol.

Can't imagine you drinking alcohol. You're such a nice lad.

Anyway...the bringer of law is right. Take a bottle of booze with you if you like it. Alcohol (even beer) is rediculously expensive in skandinavia

Ahhhh goddamnit, we'll be there for 2 weeks - thats SH*TLOAD of food to drag down there! hehehe, more to the point, is it even possible to carry that much beer? Spirits it is then...

Cheers for the tips guys (didn't know there was more to Norway than Kjerag! ;)).

And when he says everything, he means it... these guys came down with their own fridge last year... That floored me :)
Chocolate is a really good currency over there as well...

take it easy,

P.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Ahhhh goddamnit, we'll be there for 2 weeks - thats SH*TLOAD of food to drag down there! hehehe, more to the point, is it even possible to carry that much beer? Spirits it is then...

Not really. You can bring an assload of tuna and peanut butter. I pretty much solidly lived off that for 2 weeks. Buy 2 loaves of bread when you get to Stavanger. And yes if you want to drink you will want to acquire beer elsewhere.

And yes if you want to drink you will want to acquire beer elsewhere.

Hopefully the goons with the fridge will be around then! ;)

If your going there for two weeks you are going to experience bad weather (two nice weeks in a row would be exceptional in Norway). Get on the first ferry to Stavanger that day and do more shopping (i.e. more beer) for a couple of hours and go back again. You'll even make it back for the evening load if the weather picks up.

-Jo Henrik

these guys came down with their own fridge last year... That floored me :)

You know it paddy, you have to travel with style. You just have to have your own portable fridge. :)
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Yeah dude, what johenrik said. The most important tip you can get is bring you own food. And that means everything. Everything you can think of. Prepare yourself so that when the ferry leaves from Stavanger you have everything with you that you need to survive your upcoming stay at lysebotn.

Can you bring freeze dried food into the country or is is available? Do you buy cheap beer at the import store? What are the lowest temps in may thru june? :)
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Can you bring freeze dried food into the country or is is available? Do you buy cheap beer at the import store? What are the lowest temps in may thru june? :)

a few years ago, I carried in a tent, camp stove, powerbars, and standard packets of dehydrated food. I DID NOT attempt to import fuel. no issues. (maybe I was just lucky.)

strangely, I was paged before LEAVING Stavanger. security questioned an object. turned out to be my shaving gel! go figure.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

a few years ago, I carried in a tent, camp stove, powerbars, and standard packets of dehydrated food. I DID NOT attempt to import fuel. no issues. (maybe I was just lucky.)

strangely, I was paged before LEAVING Stavanger. security questioned an object. turned out to be my shaving gel! go figure.

Sounds good. I was afraid they might be a little uptight on bringing in food because of the threat of mad American oatmeal disease or something.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Pasta, couscous, instant oats and vodka appear to be the order of the day then...

We're getting round the tent/fuel troubles by going for one of those nice hut jobbies! ;)

in reply to "You just have to have your own portable fridge. "

Does this mean there's no beer chiller readily avaliable?
Warm beer ???

What's the voltage there ? thinking a $100 car fridge might do to chill a six packB|
I know enough about BASE to know the beer HAS to be cold.;)

talk to the UK BASErs about your trip and let us know when you get back..it would be nice to know whos gonna be jumping and where in the UK you live.

good luck
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

Yeah, will do - the 4 of us are spread between London, Germany and 'somewhere up-North'! :)
---------

How hot/cold (given the area, probably both) is it going to be out there in the last 2 weeks of July? Any gear that made ya say 'sh*t, wish i'd brought that!' (apart from tuna and a minifridge)?

Cheers,
Mike.

How hot/cold (given the area, probably both) is it going to be out there in the last 2 weeks of July? Any gear that made ya say 'sh*t, wish i'd brought that!' (apart from tuna and a minifridge)?

before I went, I found websites that discussed highs & lows...

when it gets sunny or hiking, you'll want shorts. when it is cold, expect a damp cold (low clouds, drizzle, etc.). being able to layer clothing is important. you can be hiking in sunshine only to find clouds at the top. it's 1000m above the fiord. I've seen people scrambling to don everything they carried up to wait for a break in the clouds.
I'm a big fan of waterproof clothing, especially boots.

but as you're from the UK, it might not seem anything special!

oh, and take a water bladder. you'll get thirsty on the hike in, but you MUST jump everything down.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Dont think Nottingham counts as 'somewhere up-North'! Hang on - dont you live in the midlands at the weekend.

--
stop the voices

you have a zillion gallon fridge not far from you if the ones in the chalets arent working...take a camel bak or similar hydration bladder...

even in July i would take full wet and semi cold weather gear...factor 15 sunscreen,lip balm,compedes for your feet if youre not a hiker and khazi roll..a medium size bum bag is a must and do some practice jumps at the dz with it and all the gear you might put in it...

a camera and a sense of humour too:)