ClifHuckstable

APOOPA Ski base event

APOOPA (Americans Parachuting Off Objects with Parachutes)
There has been a lot of you asking when the event will be. I now have an answer. I finally got out to do the first ski base of the season out here with a couple FNGs. They both got passing grades.
After checking out the conditions here I can't say that it would be a very good idea to have an event with a bunch of people and a bunch of first time ski base jumpers. Its a severe low tide situation. The boulder field is not even close to covered up and we had to land in the alternate landing area. Skis and snowboards tend to give one a much greater chance of line twists if you deploy unstable. Normally we laugh ourselves silly watching people panic spinning under line twits all the way down to the powder below. If that happens now you would impact boulders. No organized event will be considered until that boulder field is covered up.
If any experienced skiers or snowboarders who can also base jump would like to come on out anyway, we would be more than happy to take you for a ride if we are around.
Shane

Oh Tom what could be more fullfulling in life than posting on the dorkzone? I hope that grade A fluff comes in, I can't imagine a safer cliff than one with lots of soft ground. Feb and March should provide what's needed, Shane maybe you can buy some from CO---they have plenty.

Oh Tom what could be more fullfulling in life than posting on the dorkzone?

Who is the bigger dork?

The guy who uses these forums to look for and exchange real information, or the guy who gets his jollies trying to make people angry?

If you are going to act like a juvenile, expect to be treated like one.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The point of the post was to comment on the snow at the skibase site. Apologies for sounding unappreciative of the basezone, I was being very sarcastic and making fun of cliff calling it dorkzone. In fact to keep the thread on track feel free to delete the last few entries, we should be focusing on the object conditions.

Man all I sees is a bunch of zero's, very depressing. Ooo check this out, lots of snow---and apparantly Vail is more fun than jumping angel falls w/ a skydiving rig! http://vail.snow.com/winterhome.asp

So the other day on the lift I started talking to a guy next to me about big cliffs in the backcountry. Yeah turns out he was an employee, but had good info so no harm done.