madyuck

Rollovers with High Wing Loading

Has anyone tried doing rollovers with a high wing loading such as a .9 off a low object such as 230ft?

As anyone noticed any differences doing rollovers with a high wing loading vs rollovers with a regular wing loading?

would the 230ft object be ok for the high wing loading?

With the high wing loading I get some pretty bouncy slider off openings, just wondering if something weird would happen with the rollover.

you got it bro...

but out of curiosity, what is a rollover?

do you mean a mcconkey?

but out of curiosity, what is a rollover?

do you mean a mcconkey?

Shane originally called them "rollovers." I named them "McConkeys," partly to bug him, and partly because he was the first guy do do one with BASE gear, so it seemed appropriate.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

So I shouldn't have any unusual opening with the high wing loading? the canopy is also unvented does that make a difference?

Just for experimental jumping discussion, what type of object? What base canopies have you jumped? Have you had any malfunctions requiring a cut away? and last but not least, what type of canopy would you select for this jump?

So I shouldn't have any unusual opening with the high wing loading? the canopy is also unvented does that make a difference?

I haven't done a rollover with a wingloading that high.

However, my experience with high-ish (but lower than yours) wingloading on rollover jumps is that they will open slightly faster, all else equal. My guess would be that your 230 ft jump will be fine.

Be aware that a wingloading that high is going to land you fast and potentially hard, so you'll want to get on the landing as soon as you've got the canopy flying. I'd recommend packing in shallow brakes (if the object allows it) so that you have more forward speed after opening, to make for an easier transition to full flight (less "dive" when you pop the toggles), and also to allow for a better riser-flare-to-PLF if you end up too low to grab the toggles (which I'd not expect, but being prepared can't hurt).

Bottom line: I think I'd be more worried about the landing area (and the object) than the altitude or the wingloading.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

thanks tom,

Ive jumped this object before with the same high wl canopy and have no problem landing it. Now you said with having the high wl it would open faster. In general, how high are you usually open when doing a rollover? are you at PCA hight? or Freefall hight? or somewhere inbetween?

thanks

[replyIn general, how high are you usually open when doing a rollover? are you at PCA hight? or Freefall hight? or somewhere inbetween?

PCA height, or higher, for me.

But be aware that the technique you use will greatly effect the opening altitude. If you keep the canopy in a tight bundle underneath you, for example, it'll be open much lower than if you fully spread and pre-inflate it before rolling over. I've seen a huge range in folks techniques for unpacked jumps, with a resultant huge range in results.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com