yuri_base

Jesus makes a 245ft cliff jump without parachute possible

"Salt Lake City skier Jamie Pierre claimed a world-record cliff jump at Grand Targhee Resort on Wednesday, flying 245 vertical feet off the back of Freds Mountain."

"Pierre said a prayer before taking off. He clocked four full seconds of air time. He landed head first and blew a hole six feet deep in the snow. Jamie pretty much walked away with a cut lip."

"“It wasn’t just some yahoo stunt,” Pierre said. “I chose to do it so it would open up doors so I could witness my faith in Christianity.”"

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?s=311b33b7ec84bfc0950dd098f164b2a5&t=36208
http://www.jacksonholenews.com
Jesus saves Pierre on a 180ft jump: http://hem.passagen.se/skidor/filmer/jamie_pierre_55m_www.freeride.nu.wmv
:)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

OH....
MY......
GOD......

He is insane ! (but alive) so I guess his faith was confirmed ..

Jesus makes a 245ft cliff jump without parachute possible

I dont think he made anything possible. Anybody could do that. What he did prove is that he is insane enought to actually do it.

I think it was the "body armor" that saved him. "You know, padded pants..."
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

"“It wasn’t just some yahoo stunt,” Pierre said. “I chose to do it so it would open up doors so I could witness my faith in Christianity.”"
Yuri

So it's official JESUS wants us ALL TO BASE .....

I'm off to pray !!!! :P

If you follow skiing at all over the last few years you would know this guy. Jamie has been the master of massive air time for a while now. We all knew this big of an air was coming from him. Rubbs was going to ski base follow cam him off the cliff but apparently the wind wasn't right. Jamie may very vell be a huge bible thumper but whatever, he has also been working his way up to this size jump doing many 150+ foot jumps. He knew he could do it and knew the snow conditions were right. There is tons of controversy in the ski world over what he does. Most people say that it is not skiing its just meat chucking and should not be respected. "My grandmother could have stepped off that cliff and maybe lived. That's not skiing." I say if its something that you're into and you see the possibilities and think you can nail it then go for it. Who cares if it should qualify as part of a legitamate sport or not. It may not be skiing but it sure is a huge thing to accomplish.
Long posts suck, sorry.

I fully agree. Don't bash on the guy - or step up and do it if you think anyone could do it. To each their own. Hell one could could say, anyone could base no?

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

He sure "nailed" it. Landed flat on his back, shook off the snow, praised the Lawd and continued to ski down the slope.

I agree. It is sick what jamie does. Big up's to him. Too bad they couldn't do the skibase follow cam, would have made a sick view.

I think it was the "body armor" that saved him. "You know, padded pants..."

Thats good........I'm saving that little nugget :)
Nothing but love for the guy .........good on him for believing in himself.....but was it just that or did he believe God/Jesus would save him....

Whatever he worked/believed......he did it.....
kudos

Considering that he hit the snow vertically at 72mph head first and got away with a cut lip, we now know who can land a wingsuit and get away with a scratched nose. ;)

Interestingly enough, Jesus rejected the temptation to BASE jump. Therefore, BASE jumpers are Satan's followers. :D
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

This could turn into a ride at the show.

100ft base into foam powderphluff would be easy compared to this.

What a guy!

and thanks for looking after him Jesus
:)

I think landing on the back or side of body would decrease the injury chances. it spreads the impact to a larger area of your body instead of focusing all the energy to your feet. also decreases your chances of cart wheeling down the mountain unconrollably.

I think landing on the back or side of body would decrease the injury chances. it spreads the impact to a larger area of your body instead of focusing all the energy to your feet.

I'd think that type of energy dissipation, with that amount of energy and surface area could lead to more internal injuries, or at least a greater risk of internal injuries.
-C.

That's just un'fukin'beliavble. Big ups for this Jamie guy !
http://www.ufufreefly.com

It is a simple fact that when going that big into snow or into an airbag (as stunt men do) the safest way to land is square onto your back. This is how Jamie usually lands. Not sure if the wind blew him a bit more onto his head this time or not, haven't seen the footage. Even so a mild head landing on massive airs into snow have always deposited the person onto their back nicely. Any time people claim something like "Its lame because he didn't even land on his feet!" is totally retarded. When going that big this is the correct way to land.

I used to say that Chuteless BASE was a legitimate sport... only problem being you get only one object. Looks like Jamie has upped that number to at least 2 now. :S

However, Chuteless "B" still looks to be a major stumbling block.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Any time people claim something like "Its lame because he didn't even land on his feet!" is totally retarded.

I won't comment on lame or not, but I think a more pertinent point is, why even wear skis if you're barely moving forward at the exit point, and are crashing into powder below? Why not just invent snow-cliffdiving?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Doesn't Jamie also never wear a helmet? I read a quote along the lines of "I don't wear a helmet because if a jump requires a helmet, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place." He is an inspiration to all of us.
His bindings must be crazy! I bet they go all the way to eleven!!

cliffhuck:
"My grandmother could have stepped off that cliff and maybe lived. That's not skiing."
Good statement. he says Confirmation of Faith ?. That jump was not test of Religious Faith.
The jump was confirmation and proof that you have - Complete Commitment - and belief in yourself and abilities.
Why plan the jump, Probe the landing area and wear protective Safety hard-gear ?
-

111:
..."why even wear skis if you're barely moving forward at the exit point, and are crashing into powder below"?
Because my friend. Skiing up to the exit point look way Cooler to the Chic's. Than Walking up to the exit point with Snowshoes and carrying your Bible. .......;)

That jump was not test of Religious Faith.

Nope. It was a test of physics.

The good news is, physics still works. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Yeah, so if he would have died I guess the doors would have been shut and his faith in christianity would not have been good enough. Thats BS leave the big JC out of it, it was the beilief in himself, his landing area, and his experience, which kept him alive. Next time the causes and conditions might favor another turn out. In the end YOU make the decision to jump.

But enough of that. That was crazy and good thing he made it out. Oh and koodos on the record.

D

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

Warning to all:

If this devolves into a religious debate, I'll either move the entire thread to Speakers' Corner or delete a significant portion of the posts.

Let's not do that, ok?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think this is f-n cool B|, props to Jamie. One of my skiing motto's is: landings aren't as important as going big. Although I don't think I've dropped any cliffs bigger than around 40 feet. It's a lot of fun when the snow is good. Maybe Jamie should try some skydiving or tunnel flying to help his freefall stability :)
There's some video here that's zoomed way out:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=157366

It's pretty hard to tell, but I'm guessing he wearing skis because he does want to have some forward speed needed to get enough separation from the cliff and make it to where he landed. Even though he landed on his head, which I seriously doubt he intended to :)
Helmets are good, another article I read said Jamie's had his fair share of concussions, and split his head open on his tail. My bindings go all the way to 14, but I'm a pretty big guy who skis hard. I think I usually set them around 13.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

If you've ever watched any video of jaime hucking,he doesn't just slide up to the edge of the cliff barely moving, he f#@king hauls ass off the edge. :o