peterk

Should we have a technical-ONLY forum?

So, there aren't really too many posts lately that would have helped me where I was two years ago. I learned a lot by reading and learning all that I could, mostly here and on blinc.

I know that a lot of people are doing the same, but I propose a technical forum that wouldn't have people giving each other high fives online, no local drama, stupid posts asking how to start jumping. Just a place to exchange information without cutdowns and hostility?

Some of the rules would be that unless you have a question about somebody else's answer, have experience doing it, or another useful idea or piece of information, you would just read and learn.

Tom, I would even volunteer to moderate this.
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Peter, why don't you create your own website? That'd be a plan;) What's up with the alien avatar?:D
BTW..our Colorado friends who've been down here in Florida for the "season" are heading back your way. They will be missed. It's been fun hanging out with Ryan, Chris and Redeye.

I stickied a poll about this to the top of the forum a while ago.

If you're wondering, I, personally, voted "yes, create a separate technical forum" on that issue.

Remember, being the moderator of this forum does not mean that I'm making overall decisions on the structure of the forums on DZ.com. Those decisions are made by the site owner, and he has good reasons for the decisions he makes. He has a larger community to manage than just us BASE jumpers. He does know about this issue (and my personal feelings on it). It still may happen at some point. But that's a decision that is out of my hands.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I know Tom, I know. And for all of the BASE community, THANK YOU!

I don't think that Sangiro will object to BASE jumpers having a forum to discuss BASE problems. In fact, I bet that he would have hoped that we would have used it for exactly this.

Hasn't it grown on dz.com, to the point that discussions about BS are second to simple information about safety?

Who do I need to talk to about getting a technical-only forum? I have a couple people that I know are interested on contributing.

Thanks Tom,
The new C-Crew
---------------
Peter

I just want to let all of you know that I voted YES, and by the way I am going to jump an A tonight. Oh yeah, its pretty tall. Tom, I am glad that you support a sovereign technical BASE forum. Thanks again.

Dirt
Premier Member IGPA
2009 IGPA Overall Champion

WWTAD

Hi

I believe this forum can have technical discussions and no need for another forum
technical discussions in here end up with heaps of discussion so stay at the top of the page for a long while
for example the high speed enema thread got over 60 hits

unless you ... have experience doing it, or another useful idea or piece of information, you would just read and learn.

hmmmm, kinda sounds like Jaap's basewiki.com.

have you looked at his site? have you contributed?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I would like to see one even though in the end it's not going to change a thing, just more work for the moderators.

Look at Gear and Rigging, for instance. Some thread starts with a great topic, few great replies, and then a pissing contest.

That's the nature of DZ.com: "my dick is so much longer than yours".

What we really need is a filter for mindless discussions and direct them to the "bonfire" and such ;)
Memento Audere Semper

Sort of, but not quite. The wiki is more static than a technical discussion forum. If anything the wiki would harvest common information.

FWIW, I voted against the technical forum last time around, but I've changed my mind and would fully support it these days.

Jaap's basewiki.com...

Also, and this is not directed at you wwarped but a general observation, I wish people would stop considering it my wiki. The wiki has had more contributions from other people than from me. All I did was set up the infrastructure. Past that point, it became your wiki as much as mine.

Sort of, but not quite. The wiki is more static than a technical discussion forum. If anything the wiki would harvest common information.

exactly.

by harvesting common information the wiki can serve as a sort of FAQs. many "technical" questions get answered quickly, having been answered before. the threads then drift.

a technical only forum seems more appropriate for cutting edge development, the specialty aspects of the sport, or sight specific questions.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I am wholeheartedly for it. In the last few months there has been mostly bickering and BS with very little actual BASE discussion here. And a few no jump wonders giving advice... Like others have said, reading about some drama is nice, but that's what Bonfire is for. Technical forum would really keep all the BS away from good discussion. Besides, it would be nice to know the experience level of some of the posters who give answers/suggestions - a gut feeling tells me that physics works, but when the advice given is based purely on that, I would still prefer a solid hands-on - "I did it, and it works, but it scared the beejezuz out of me".

for what it's worth ....

Let's not forget that Blinc's demise was partially the result of splitting "the baseboard" into numerous subsections. There are not a whole lot of posts here at the base zone, so filtering the fluff shouldn't be that hard. I think this forum is fine exactly as is.

The real solution is to reprimand the people who post one-liners and smiley face replies. For example, if you want to thank someone for helping you get your "A", then please do it via private email.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

for tecnical advise simply just post on Blinc:P

I think dz.com is a great place,and it gives out alot to newbies and moderat experienced jumpers.But think its damn sad that people dont post more tecnical at Blinc.

just my 0.2

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I am thinking more and more that a tech-only forum shouldn't be a BASE subforum, as much as the stupid high-fiving and silliness should be within a subforum. Take a look at what the most recent posts have been about, and how many hits they receive. My jump partners and I aren't worried about BASE video games, or exit points in San Andreas. I don't want to wade through mindless chit chat, I just want to read other jumpers technical problems and solutions.

I am actually very surprised that most BASE jumpers are content with the mixed forum, there is very little to learn and just a place for kids to log in and check the drama.
---------------
Peter

I am actually very surprised that most BASE jumpers are content with the mixed forum, there is very little to learn and just a place for kids to log in and check the drama.

Were you intending to be ironic?

Is that a new avatar? :)

..."I am actually very surprised that most BASE jumpers are content with the mixed forum,"
-
Look maybe you got to look at it like that ( is the reason ) for it being popular and so well liked or tolerated by BASE jumpers.
It's the Lack of Structure. BASE jumpers for the most part are non-structured. BASE jumpers dislike structure that is forced on them.
428 almost got to the point with the BLINC and it's demise statement but basically that is the reason. If you start to dissect all discussions of BASE into (narrow) subsections. You are stretching it to thin and you loss the informal flow. Then it starts to become almost clinically sterile. BASE is not that big and there is really not that much BASE Chat on this thing that you can't wade through and filter out the Crap and pick-out what useful info you need or can use.
So Basically, If you can't wade through the crap then your not tough enough to BASE jump .....;)
-

428:
..."The real solution is to reprimand the people who post one-liners and smiley face replies. For example, if you want to thank someone for helping you get your "A", then please do it via private email."
Hey 428 that was such a Great and Outstanding Post, THANKS ! for helping in forming mine .......:):).