ClifHuckstable

MILES D - TWIN FALLS PERSON OF THE YEAR!

Yup that's right. Its official, Miles and his wife Nikki were nominated along with around 7 others for the city of Twin Falls person of the year and they won. Not sure of the details but it was for bringing international and main stream media attention to the city through base jumping as well as hostiing a very successful charity event for disabled children. Where was Tom Aiello? Oh yea, he wasn't even nominated. Miles jumps from the top rail almost every time by the way, which the city obviously smiles upon.
Yea, yea, yea......I'm pumping up Miles again. Whatever, the Twin Falls Person of the Year is a base jumper!

did he make an acceptence speach ?
if so how many "wooohoooo's"
and "yeah!!!"'s ?

Where was Tom Aiello? Oh yea, he wasn't even nominated.

You could've lauded Miles without taking a potshot at Tom, y'know.

And what most people realize is that those who do the hard work are usually too busy to seek notoriety.

It's the day-to-day stuff that keeps everything going over the long term, not the brief flashes of grandiosity. Tom does what he does for BASE, which is not going to garner much attention from the town, but which does deserve to be honored by those in his own community--this one.

And congratulations to you for diminishing Miles' triumph with your petty remark.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Nice one Felix!

Congratulations to Miles and his wife Nikki. Good to see BASE well received in TF.

Miles is a great guy and kudos to him for getting some well-deserved recognition.

But yeah taking a potshot at Tom is out of bounds.

Shane, stick to skiing... it's what you do best. Beyond that, no need to try to make shit that isn't there. :P

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Where was Tom Aiello? Oh yea, he wasn't even nominated.***

I never even heard about twin falls and base jumping at the bridge until i heard about Tom Aiello....That was a cheap shot... but i"ve seen your video so i guess it fits you...You should stick to decaf....

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

*** "I'm pumping up Miles again"

Seems like pumping is the operative word here. You girls have fun doing whatever it is you do together.

Here's to Miles, the richest man in all of Twin Falls. Merry christmas movie house.

Yo!

Shane, you're usually funny as shit - but this one was uncool. Really.

bsbd!

Yuri.

And what most people realize is that those who do the hard work are usually too busy to seek notoriety.

It's the day-to-day stuff that keeps everything going over the long term, not the brief flashes of grandiosity. Tom does what he does for BASE, which is not going to garner much attention from the town, but which does deserve to be honored by those in his own community--this one.

I second that!

So since you know him do you get a penis extension too?

Edit: Congratulations Miles. Seriously.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Dorothy must be one proud toddler right now! Congrats' Miles and Nikki, all the best.

Yeah, that's pretty much why nobody takes Shane seriously on this forum.

Shane, aside from your skill as a BASE jumper (which seems to be more than adequate) and aside from your actual personality (we've never met so I have no idea, but I suspect you're just as nice and considerate as the next person) you're pretty much a jackass around here.

You have information and knowledge that could be useful here. I know you think this forum is some kind of a joke that shouldn't be taken seriously. If so, why do you come here and post comments like that?

I like Miles. I'm happy that he got nominated and won and I think that's a great thing for the future of BASE in Twin Falls. But what does Tom not being involved have to do with anything?

Do you have something personal against Tom?

If you don't like this forum, and you feel it's such a waste of time, or feel it's useless, then stop coming here.

For example, there's internet forums about conspiracy theories, UFO's, why Kerry should have won, etc... I think those forums are absolutely rediculous and stupid. However, I don't go there and stick my nose in the middle of them just for the purposes of stirring shit up.

That's exactly what you do here. A few of your posts have actually contained some of the information and knowledge I know you have. The rest though, are just trolling posts. That's not what this forum is for, and really, you should be banned regularly, or even permanently banned.

Like I said earlier, this has nothing to do with your actual personality and jumping abilities. I'd like to be able to sit here and shoot ideas back and forth with you and actually learn something, but if you can't ever post anything productive here, I guess I'll just have to pick the brains of the 100 other experienced jumpers here.

So, to summarize, if you think "Dorkzone.com" is such a joke, go away.

Congratulations Miles and Nikki!

I know that we have some professional and ethical disagreements, but I really do like you, and I'm happy for you to win this honor.

Miles jumps from the top rail almost every time by the way, which the city obviously smiles upon.

It's important to understand a couple of things:

It was the Twin Falls [I]Chamber of Commerce[/I] that gave Miles this award. The purpose of a Chamber of Commerce is largely to publicize and promote the area. Miles is very good at publicity and promotion, so it makes sense they'd select him.

Saying that the city "obviously smiles upon" something is pretty tricky.

The city does not own the bridge, and cannot control, change, or regulate jumping. It's the state transportation department that does that. And it's the state transportation department that can shut us down--whether the city likes it or not. Whether the city approves or disapproves of any particular action by any jumper or group of jumpers is not terribly relevant.

"The city" is [I]not[/I] the chamber of commerce. The chamber of commerce is an independent group with no governmental authority. It's basically a club for local business owners. What the chamber of commerce says may have some impact on the opinions of city residents, or of city leaders, but it by no means defines either of those things.

Whether the Chamber of Commerce "smiles upon" standing on the top rail is pretty questionable. Their selection of Miles related to his publicizing the town, raising money for a charity and achieving national publicity. This does not represent a stance by the Chamber of Commerce on standing on the rail, or anything else.

If the Chamber of Commerce did have a position on this issue (which I doubt), that position would not necessarily reflect the view of the city, either in the persons of the city administrators (Mayor, Councilpersons, Manager, etc), or in the persons of the citizens of the city.

Even if the City Council officially took a position on this issues (which, I re-iterate, they have not and are unlikely to), that would have no legal impact upon the real decision making authority for the bridge--the state department of transportation.

To sum that up: Miles and Nikki's selection for this honor is not a statement by anyone, much less anyone in authority, positive or negative, about standing on the rail.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

On behalf of the Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce - I extend our congratulations to Miles and Nikki Daisher for their receipt of our award (not the City's) as Persons of the Year for 2005. This is an award given annually to recognize members of our community for their active support of the community, the chamber, and making the Twin Falls area the great place it is in which to live and do business. Miles and Nikki received this award jointly for their efforts with the "Parachute for Kids" event held in September 2005. The activity generated international media attention for our community, drew tourist to our region, and raised more than $16,000 for local children with special healthcare needs. We applaude their efforts and look forward to future events to enhance our community.

That said - I do want to clarify from some of the previous threads that neither the Chamber nor the City have authority over what happens at the Perrine Bridge. The Bridge is owned by the State, managed by the Idaho Transportation Department, and specific rules are in place that allow BASE jumping to legally occur in our community. Neither the Chamber nor the City endorse anything outside of those regulations. We work closely with jumpers, local governments, law enforcement, and particularly the Idaho Transportation Department to ensure a safe and legal BASE jumping environment here.

I'm not a BASE jumper - but from those I talk to, it sounds like we all have a pretty sweet deal here in Twin Falls: you all have a safe and legal place to practice your sport - the community benefits from visitors and tourists - and periodic international publicity promotes our region as a destination to visit or relocate. I appreciate all that ALL BASE jumpers do for our community.

Wow! I really got some panties bunched with that Tom comment! That was neato. I think I honestly felt some real irritation in those posts! Great to see some tempers flaring again.
However, I think I better clarify myself just so this doesn't get too outta hand. I don't hate Tom. He is a very knowledgeable and helpful guy. I do however find it entertaining to give him little jabs from time to time. Well that attempt obviously backfired. Guess it came across as a little more malicious than I meant. Joke's on me.

Thats cool, as co-President the Westminster BASE Association, I am proud to announce that Tom A, Shane M, and Miles D are "Westminster People of the Day". No word on tomorrow, but hopefully that should satisfy someone, and we can get back to jumping... If cresTfall isn't working too hard, maybe he can chime in and give you all congrats too!

PS What has happened to this forum? Hey WPOD Tom- Can we make a BASE technical subforum?

PPS Shane- Some people really take this site seriously. I agree, sometimes its funny, but the smiles aren't worth the potential brain hemorrhages, strokes, and other serious medical conditions from high blood pressure that often result from your posts...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Miles jumps from the top rail almost every time by the way, which the city obviously smiles upon.

I was in TF for less than a week and did only 8 jumps from the bridge, during this time I saw

i) A family in an SUV stopped in in the middle of the bridge to ask if we would jump. They wanted to sit in their vehicle and watch. The traffic behind them was slowing down and other vehicles were honking but these people did not want to leave. Jimmy had to persuade them to leave.

ii) One driver honked and gave us the bird at us as we were standing on the bridge(geared up and ready to go).

Somehow if there were more happenings of 'i' or accidents as a result, it seems like more people will be like the person in 'ii'.

Kris.

Wait a minute. Just gotta reply to Dexter! He has a deeply cloven wedgie needing removal.
Dude seriously, I totally got you.
If you're here to only ever be completely serious and talk about important stuff then WHY DO YOU BOTHER READING ANYTHING I WRITE?
I love dorking out on Dorkzone. Yes it is a joke sometimes. Not always of course but its all in good fun. Its up to you to determine what should chafe your taint and what shouldn't. This place is a great place to learn and become edjumacated, but its also for entertainment sometimes too.

This place is a great place to learn and become edjumacated, but its also for entertainment sometimes too.

While I generally agree with the idea that the forums should be entertaining as well as enlightening, I'll remind you that their primary purpose is to promote communication and the sharing of information. When your jokes get in the way of the primary purpose of the forums--communication--they cease to be funny.

Remember that it's neither you nor I who decide what this place is "for". There's a guy who pays the bills at the end of every month, and in the end he gets to decide what these forums are "for."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Oh Thomas! Stoppit! Would you jiss lithen to your thelf! Now why do think I go after that cute little ass of yours? Hmmm? Its comments like that.
I'm still trying to remove the wedgie that I just got! Don't make me attempt another shot at you!

I'm still trying to remove the wedgie that I just got! Don't make me attempt another shot at you!

You seem to have a panty fetish.