Anvilbrother

Fatalities, leaving a jumper behind, and the Pact.

I think the current situation is downright embarrassing to the sport (not to mention irresponsible, tragic, and cold),

I would agree...so lets all step up and try to help locate Scott so his family can get some closure...

I would think that with local knowlege of the area and local crews in the area that they should be able to narrow down some specific sites. I would also think that both calls made could be traced and be able to get a address. Someone else knows besides these two... I would think a helicopter would be able to cover the narrowed sites in a couple of hours. I would also assume that the people here on this forum would be willing to chip in and help with a helicopter rental fo a couple of hours. I would think for about $500.00 bucks...would cover it. Thats $20.00 for 25 people....not much but could end this for the better...

We could setup a paypal account to do this. I would be the first to chip in. I also was a former ranger ...and would never leave someone behind...even if i didnt like or know them..... It's just not right....

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Cheers buddy!-

Id just like to add that maybe 'the pact' is harmful to base. Sure, if you adhere to it, perhaps you might stay out of trouble, But surely it will come out that the person was base jumping and the anonymous phone caller knows more than he's let on-and abandoned the deceased.- That kind of 'publicity is not what Base-jumping as a sport needs.

Reiner

at least use that persons cell phone to call for help. It will only trace that person (not you),

not true, if that persons phone actually had reception, then your phone would to, then the authorities could check the mobile phone servers and see what other phones were in range of that mobile phone tower at the exact time the call from the other phone was made,

so if this mike person had a mobile on him at the time and it had reception, then once they find where the body is they will look up the mobile phone records, and find him.

so if his phone had reception, then its in his best interest not to piss the authorities off by making them wait longer to find the body.

About that whole Ranger thing...this is something completely different. I have heard stories about a ranger getting shot (and killed for SURE) and because his buddies didn't want to leave him behind, they got shot as well. Now I think that it's completely stupid (sorry) and pointless to get yourself hurt over a dead body.

This is something completely different. The issue here is that neither of the two "buddies" have told anyone where the body is. And that's stupid and pointless as well.

About that whole Ranger thing...this is something completely different. I have heard stories about a ranger getting shot (and killed for SURE) and because his buddies didn't want to leave him behind, they got shot as well.

Reminds me of the worst movie ever, Blackhawk Down.
However, that is getting killed for staying and we are talking about getting a misdemeanor offense in the worst situation, unless it the NPS and then maybe a felony. I still think that qualifies as a different arena than a military situation.

This whole scenario has led me to reevaluate my thoughts on the pact...... I hope it does for everyone.

I agree with Faber, I would stay but still ask others to leave me. In my personal situation, please leave my gear on, I pay a lot of money for life insurance(that covers parachuting) so my family will be ok if I mess up.

edited for error & getting my knickers in a bunch :$

Now I think that it's completely stupid (sorry) and pointless to get yourself hurt over a dead body.

One of the things that motivates people to step up to the plate and take that extra risk is the commitment of their friends to do just that...to stand by them even in death... it's more complex than "what's in it for me?"
Owned by Remi #?

Bull shit. Absolute bullshit. This is not true. You can use their phone with no big brother concerns such as this. Cell phone companies do not have this capability. Stop being paranoid

Sorry to step on your security blanket..but yeah... cell phone providers can do this.
Owned by Remi #?

About that whole Ranger thing...this is something completely different. I have heard stories about a ranger getting shot (and killed for SURE) and because his buddies didn't want to leave him behind, they got shot as well. Now I think that it's completely stupid (sorry) and pointless to get yourself hurt over a dead body.

It's about who you are...It's about doing something nobel or saving your own ass....who says your ass is worth more...some people would jump in front of a bus to save someone they dont even know....they arent thinking about ...oh geee wizzz..i could get killed and my life is so important.....they do it because they feel compeled to do something to help someone other than themselves.... being a ranger is all about the guy next to you...knowing he would do anything to save your ass and do the right thing...
weather he liked you or not...

allot of people say they are your buddies until the shit hits the fan...then your true buddies will shine bright or fizzel like the true wimps they are....

This is just about doing the right thing....They didnt as far as we know so far....but until facts come out...we are just yaking away...

Personally...i would never make a pact about leaving someone ...i think its a wimp thing to do....I think when people start to realize there life is about as big as a nat on a dogs ass and in the big picture it really doesnt mean squat..that people will start helping instead of F$%%$ each other for ther own preservation...

just my two cents .... just my thoughts....;)

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Now I think that it's completely stupid (sorry) and pointless to get yourself hurt over a dead body.

One of the things that motivates people to step up to the plate and take that extra risk is the commitment of their friends to do just that...to stand by them even in death... it's more complex than "what's in it for me?"

Ok. Fair enough. Then let this be known for future reference:

If you ever jump with me (or if I have the privilege to jump with you) you can go ahaid and leave my dead body behind. I PROBABLY won't leave you behind but I'm not sure. Please don't jump with me if you'd leave my body behind and wouldn't tell anyone where it is. Thx!

I was commenting on your post about Rangers, not BASE jumpers. Big differnce IMO.
Owned by Remi #?

the authorities could check the mobile phone servers and see what other phones were in range of that mobile phone tower at the exact time the call from the other phone was made

Bull shit. Absolute bullshit. This is not true. You can use their phone with no big brother concerns such as this. Cell phone companies do not have this capability. Stop being paranoid (I thought I was!) or just get your facts straight, or please delete your post!

don't get your knickers in a bunch.

i know some of the USA's telephone networks are outdated compared to countries that are smaller (easier to upgrade) and/or that installed their networks later. however telephone companies in this part of the world DO have this capability. it HAS been used to prove people were at the scene of a crime and to locate suspects that use "pay as you go" phones (normally don't require registration).

by checking which sides of which towers can see a phone the location can be pinpointed fairly easily. you may be leaving digital fingerprints at every tower you visit.

so it's not that unreasonable to assume that US companies have or soon will have such capability.

when, why and how this would or wouldn't be used is a whole other can of worms, but it IS possible in many countries. if some/all of your providers can't do this currently i would expect that it's on the "homeland security's" to do list.

edited to add:
aparently US companies can and have used cell phone triangulation, see links below for more info.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52396,00.html
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci753924,00.html
http://www.al911.org/wireless/triangulation_location.htm

if some/all of your providers can't do this currently i would expect that it's on the "homeland security's" to do list.

It's on their "have (edit to add "already" )done" list
Owned by Remi #?

don't get your knickers in a bunch.

I apologize.

it HAS been used to prove people were at the scene of a crime and to locate suspects that use "pay as you go" phones

Are you referring to using a phone in a certain area or to phones that are simply on in a certain area? I find it hard to believe the tower keeps a log of all phones that have reception near another phone that is in use, as the initial poster stated.

If I'm wrong I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe.... and we are defintiely hijacking. If my use of bold letters is the cause of the uproar, I'm sorry. I'll go back and delete it.

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

doesnt matter much Becca , it was all a hoax by the kid.... I am so pissed about this and I hope he never jumps again... >:(
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Wow. That sounds like a serious cry for attention. Perhaps he really needs help after all. A different kind of help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Wow. That sounds like a serious cry for attention. Perhaps he really needs help after all. A different kind of help.

I am sure the base community will give him all the help he needs;)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I am sure the base community will give him all the help he needs;)

no shit.

someone tell tom to tell this jackass, I hope i never meet him.>:(B|

To all the skydivers and whuffos who've ventured over to this forum to complain about BASE jumpers leaving their dead, feel free to remove your foot from your mouth. It helps to wait until all the facts are in.

Many of us thought this was a hoax for several days now.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

someone tell tom to tell this jackass, I hope i never meet him.>:(B|

Everyone, please keep in mind that the real victims of that situation were the family, who genuinely believed their son was dead. They've got to be hurting right now, and a little consideration for that would be appreciated.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

doesnt matter much Becca, it was all a hoax by the kid....

I still feel really bad for his mother. Think about how she feels.

My mom is in serious therapy right now cause my brother has done some crappy stuff.

OMG, I just can't freakin' believe this, something didn't seem right, but I didn't expect this.

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

Are you referring to using a phone in a certain area or to phones that are simply on in a certain area? I find it hard to believe the tower keeps a log of all phones that have reception near another phone that is in use, as the initial poster stated.

i was refering to a phone just being on.

yes it is a lot of data, i'm not sure how long it is stored for, probably varies by country and company. i'd expect that companies will be required to keep this for a minimum period by the state.

If I'm wrong I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe

don't be sorry for being wrong, be sorry for being a hypocrite by chastising someone for not checking their facts when you clearly didn't check yours. a quick google shows that this is possible and has been done in the US. i don't think that the bold letters were the big problem. no point in editing your original post now.

Many of us thought this was a hoax for several days now

Yet when those that posted that things were fishy they got attacked for doubting the story.... :S
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Seriously. This is so far out of my scope of understanding. All I can come up with is that he is seriously suicidal and was taking a test run.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

This is something completely different. The issue here is that neither of the two "buddies" have told anyone where the body is. And that's stupid and pointless as well.

now young dude let this olg grunt expand your mind

RANGER CODE
never ever leave someone behind..you ask why

think if you were hurt,lost,wounded would you want to be left behind? I think not
special operators go where there is a very real possibility of this occuring and it does help to know that your battle buds. will not leave you behind

this started due to all the MIA's

in conbat you becone closer to your buddies than anyone else in your life ever.

sorry if i sound stuffy but you cannot understand how important that code is .

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com