Anvilbrother

Fatalities, leaving a jumper behind, and the Pact.

First: My condolanses (spelling) to the family. No one should ever have to go through such an ordeal...especially from their own flesh and blood.

Second: I wanted to express a true "THANKS" to the complete jumping (sky/base) family out there. It's always refreshing to see so many people offering help to someone they never met but bonded by an activity shared.

Finally: Is the person who originally posted (USMC 1775) even really a marine? If so, I'm sure some of our USMC brothers can find out and put some heat on his ass for this little stunt.

Sorry for hijacking... :)
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Yeah, ya jnow getting your crank yanked isn't any fun. I can certainly understand why everyone is angry, but try to bear in mind that the full story hasn't been told. I've seen this story run the gamut of emotions, from everyone being sad to a lot of people wanting to kick Scott's ass.

I'd like to think we're all a little more articulate than that. Understand people go through things, we don't understand them. Let this family heal. Let's hear Scott's explanation, if he so desires to offer, he certainly doesn't owe us one.

I will give Tom and the DZ.COM staff props for their tireless efforts throughout this entire ordeal. It most certainly was a Roller Coaster Ride Of Emotions.

Regardsless of who feels what, The young man is alive and has time to fix whatever's wrong if anything, who knows maybe someone played a bullshit trick on him? Let time do it's thing here, we've all been patient so far.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

This is so far out of my scope of understanding.

Let the cops and the family and the doctors figure it out. That's their job.

I'm sure we'll get updated with facts once the emotions subside and there is accurate information to relay.

In the meantime, reflect on folks like you all in the BASE community and how you all came together and worked this thing. I'd be interested in seeing the man-hours devoted by BASE jumpers and other posters here to help figure this out.

TomA and LouDiamond, and those of you who were involved but not publicized - you cats are seriously owed some fucking beer for dropping everything abd going on a limb for someone you didn't even know or recognize. And Tom's a new daddy, too.

To paraphrase Tom, "For the record, in this single incident, I think that you all showed more character than I'm likely to have in my entire life."

edited to add: It's easy for a lawyer to make that character claim. I'm sure none of you would doubt the lack of character my shyster ass has...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'm just sorry for the family and friends. I'm glad that Scott's ok, hoax or not.

T&F, DCBM. It's not 93 today and lets be happy about that.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

now young dude let this olg grunt expand your mind

RANGER CODE
never ever leave someone behind..you ask why

think if you were hurt,lost,wounded would you want to be left behind? I think not
special operators go where there is a very real possibility of this occuring and it does help to know that your battle buds. will not leave you behind

this started due to all the MIA's

in conbat you becone closer to your buddies than anyone else in your life ever.

sorry if i sound stuffy but you cannot understand how important that code is .

Well put brother!!!!

Billy
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Many of us thought this was a hoax for several days now

Yet when those that posted that things were fishy they got attacked for doubting the story.... :S

No. The people who attacked Scott's mother's post got told unequivocally that she is, in fact, his mother.

She didn't know anything about this, and there was no reason to focus on her.

Edited to add: I don't think Matthew Park (usmc1775) had anything to do with it either, except as someone who is a friend of the family and was trying to help, so perhaps we can lay off the implied threats.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Notwithstanding that the whole thing was a hoax (I'm going to leave my personal feelings on that aside) this whole fiasco DID prompt some very good discussion on a very serious issue that I think many jumpers haven't really thought about or discussed.

It's a discussion that's been a long time coming and I'm personally glad we had it.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

...this whole fiasco DID prompt some very good discussion on a very serious issue that I think many jumpers haven't really thought about or discussed. It's a discussion that's been a long time coming and I'm personally glad we had it.

Seriously, anybody who didn't already have answers to the questions in this thread needs to seriously reconsider his participation in this sport. If you don't have a plan B through Z when you approach an object, legal or not, you go home, start your Playstation 2, and go make some more jumps in Grand Theft Auto.

No directed to you Zennie; I know you have your shit together. Just an observation that this really ought to be a non-issue.

Many of us thought this was a hoax for several days now.

I read something yesterday that made me think something was fishy here but I wasn't about to say anything not knowing exactly what was what. But I'm glad that this turned out to be NOT true and something good which can come from this HOAX is that BASE jumpers start communicating with each other and start supporting each other in times of need. No object should ever be more sacred than the life of a fellow jumper. I don't do a lot of illegal jumps (call me anything you want, it doesn't matter) but if/when I find myself in a similar situation, I'd rather deal with the law and some trespassing issues than deal with the guilt of abandoning a jumper in need.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I still have no reason to believe that his mother made that post.I stand by my statements and believe that they should be put back where they were.What was that phrase you used?Oh yes,Put a lid on it.

I don't do a lot of illegal jumps (call me anything you want, it doesn't matter)

Lame? ;)

think if you were hurt,lost,wounded would you want to be left behind? I think not

Say you have a street with buildings to the left and right. There's snipers in some of the buildings. Say I get shot in the middle of the street with no cover and you, uninjured, have cover.

1. If I was injured, I would want for you to come and help me. Even if it meant risking your life. I would do the same for you.

2. If I looked dead but it's not quite sure, I would want for you to come and help me. Even if it meant risking your life. I would do the same for you.

3. If I was DEAD for sure. As in head blown off or whatmayyou. I would NOT want for you to risk your life over what USED to be me. If you were dead for sure, I wouldn't risk my life to retreive your body either. Frankly I would resent the fact that someone got his ass shot just because they didn't want to leave my dead body behind.

I hope it is clear now how I feel about it.

I still have no reason to believe that his mother made that post.I stand by my statements and believe that they should be put back where they were.What was that phrase you used?Oh yes,Put a lid on it.

I have an email from his mother that is essentially the same in form and content as her post. I have verified that the sender is Theresa Denham.

You can hold to your mistaken belief as long as you wish. But you're still wrong.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I still have no reason to believe that his mother made that post

Then how would you account for myself and Tom corresponding with her before this was public, to include phone conversations, which subsequently led to the Law becoming involved with the mother and all of this unfolding?

Believe what you want, thats your right but, it does not mean you are right.:|
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Fine I'm wrong.Can we talk about Scott getting the help he needs while he sits in jail.Because that is what needs to happen now.Or do you have a problem with that oppinion also?

Fine I'm wrong.Can we talk about Scott getting the help he needs while he sits in jail.Because that is what needs to happen now.Or do you have a problem with that oppinion also?

What does that have to do with this forum?

rl

I do,

sometimes the help somone needs is an ass kickin. is he going to get that in jail?

seriously, he needs to get help, or somone needs to help him.

Yet when those that posted that things were fishy they got attacked for doubting the story.... :S

No. The people who attacked Scott's mother's post got told unequivocally that she is, in fact, his mother.

She didn't know anything about this, and there was no reason to focus on her.

YES!!! That's it rl, thanks!

i was refering to a phone just being on.

yes it is a lot of data, i'm not sure how long it is stored for, probably varies by country and company. i'd expect that companies will be required to keep this for a minimum period by the state.

Just felt like showing you this:
http://www.fcc.gov/911/enhanced/

There is a lot more to this topic and it was a hot debate for some time...until 9/11 happened. Then it was pushed thru rather quick. Just a tangent I wanted to clear up. Back to the drama.....

What does that have to do with this forum?

rl

About as much as any of the other crap in here today.Why should it change now.

Finally: Is the person who originally posted (USMC 1775) even really a marine? If so, I'm sure some of our USMC brothers can find out and put some heat on his ass for this little stunt.

Yes. USMC 1775 really is a marine. He was not a perpetrator of this hoax. He was a victim. He is a friend of the family who was contacted by Scott's mother, because he was relatively local. He gave up a significant amount of his personal time and energy trying to locate Scott.

I believe he acted in good faith, and honorably.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I also believe that a majority of BASE jumpers would in fact know how to check a fallen jumper's vital signs. It's really not that difficult.

I refer you to www.deadmike.com.

When the ambulance left the WFFC, the lights were off and they were driving slow, because there was no reason to turn the lights on and drive fast. Mike was dead.

He died in August 1997. He made a base jump at Bridge Day in 1998.

He is currently a 43-year old dead guy.

Apparently it's more difficult than you think.

rl

Thanks for the reference. I refer you to http://www.deadmike.com/FAQ/index.html

From the Dead Mike FAQs:

Many, many, many people I spoke with at Quincy in 1998 were surprised I was still alive. Honestly! The ambulance pulled away extrememly slowly without the lights or sirens on. To many people, they thought this meant I was already dead, and that is the last image they had in their mind. After speaking with the EMT upon my return, I learned that they were going slowly because they were still attempting to clear my airway. Once they established a tracheotomy, they sped up and delivered me to the hospital, where what happened next is still unclear.

nothing to see here

You're out of line. I can verify with 100% authority that post was made by his mother.

I recommend you back off, or I will put a lid on it for you.

Consider this your warning.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

First: My condolanses (spelling) to the family. No one should ever have to go through such an ordeal...especially from their own flesh and blood.

Second: I wanted to express a true "THANKS" to the complete jumping (sky/base) family out there. It's always refreshing to see so many people offering help to someone they never met but bonded by an activity shared.

Sorry for hijacking... :)

Not picking on you woodpecker.

How is this post any different for the one that I made?Same tone,same question,what is the difference?

Thanks for the reference. I refer you to http://www.deadmike.com/FAQ/index.html

Apparently you missed this. I posted it this morning:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2042688#2042688

It has been pointed out to me by two people who actually read the link I posted that Dead Mike was not dead. And indeed, I was working from my memory of the accounts at the time, not from Mike's account on his website, which clearly states that he was not dead.

There's more to the post. But it's not relevant to your post.

rl