usmc1775

NEED HELP Locating Hurt/dead Friend Please

THIS IS VERY SERIOUS AND A REAL CALL FOR HELP
If any one knows Scott Denham, who was in the southern Cali area last known, LA area, please call me at 541 788 3282. Scotts mother called me this morning and said his sister recieved phone call from mike, one of his jumping buddies saying that scott was dead from a jump. They didn't leave any other info, we haven't found a body any where, called every place for a john doe. Please help us locate where he may of jumped or better yet his body. Scott is 22, 5'11-6'1. I have talked to Tom Aiello, who is working with us to find out more. Any Help Would be well appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Matthew Park
cpl, USMC
Simper Fi

To recap the information that we know:

The jumper's name was Scott Wesley Denham. He holds a USPA C license, and we've located him in the database. He reportedly began jumping somewhere in the Midwest, but was mostly active in California.

He had an address in Truckee, CA at one point. He had also apparently lived in Visalia, CA and Glendale, CA (in LA). His last reported residence was in Valencia, CA.

He was jumping with a guy named Chad, from Oregon, within the last few weeks. This is not Chad from Seattle, who posts here.

He was reportedly jumping with a guy named Mike at the time of his disappearance. Mike is reportedly an itinerant jumper, who was headed back to Florida or the Gulf Coast shortly after this jump, and is probably there now.

Scott had worked as a packer at the Elsinore dropzone last summer, but they had not seen him since approximately September. During that time, he had made few, if any, skydives, mostly just packing and hanging out. He was not known to Elsinore area BASE jumpers as an active BASE jumper. He appears to also have been largely unknown in BASE circles in the greater Los Angeles area.

Scott had been injured in a landing accident at a dropzone in Oregon in approximately September. It sounds like this was the result of jumping a highly loaded canopy at an unfamiliar DZ.

Scott had inquired about taking a First Jump Course from Corky in Taft sometime in the last year. He had then resurfaced, several months later, saying that he had completed a First Jump Course with Consolidated Rigging. Neither CR nor Asylum have any record of his having completed an FJC with them.

Scott had apparently been jumping mostly solo, in the LA and Taft areas. He had been seen to jump a relatively low profile site in full daylight, and had been confronted about this with no real result.

Scott called his mother late the night of January 17th or early the morning of January 18th. He told her that he was going to make a BASE jump.

Scott also talked to his girlfriend at approximately the same time. She believes he was in Glendale, CA, when he called her. He told her that he was going to make a BASE jump, and that he would be at the jump site within 45 minutes.

The night of January 21st, a guy named Mike called Scott's family. He spoke to Scott's sister. He told her that he had been jumping with Scott on the 18th, and that Scott had gone in on that BASE jump. He also said that he was going back to Florida, or the Gulf Coast. He gave no other information.

If anyone has any information about this, including;

a) Any way to find Chad, from Oregon;
b) Any way to find Mike, from the Gulf Coast or Florida;
c) Any knowledge of a BASE accident in California sometime in the last week;
d) Any other information about this stuation,

I would greatly appreciate any information you can share.

I can be contacted here via Private Message, via email at [email protected] or via telephone at 208 420-2602.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I just found out about this from a motorcycle website.

It's pretty messed up if his buddies did that to him.

RIP :(

edit: link removed by request of family ~TA
we're extremely fortunate
not to know precisely
the kind of world we live in.
-W.Szymborska

Some of the information posted on the bike forum is not accurate, or at least does not agree with the information that I got from Scott's parents at approximately 8:30pm (pacific) last night. At that time, they were attempting to trace the phone call, for example, but had to wait for a judges order this morning.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Some additional information:

Scott's vehicle is:

1999 Ford Ranger –extra cab
Color: Dark Green
Had some body damage on one of the front fenders
Plates: Oregon plates WVY 505

This vehicle is still missing with him. If anyone sees this vehicle, please let me know, or just report it to your local authorities, as this has become a missing persons case.

If you are a jumper with information about this case, be certain that you can share your information with me and I will not pass any specifics aside from body location along. This will protect you, your jumping partners, and your sites (aside from any site that may physically have the body located at it).

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If you are a jumper with information about this case, be certain that you can share your information with me and I will not pass any specifics aside from body location along.

I'm not a BASE jumper, but I've been skydiving a long time. I'm also a mother, with a son very close to his age. This kind of thing would be incredibly gut-wrenching.

Closure is important for the family. Really. If nothing else, if the family can come to some sort of closure, they possibly are less likely to look for something or someone to blame.

The other thing that people can do (anonymously if necessary) would be to share pictures and memories. They're all that his family has left. This would go for anyone who might end up dying anonymously because of BASE jumping.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think that the one person who really knows what is going on, will not be posting to this forum.

The right thing to do is to find Scott, and let his family try to deal with the loss, without having to wonder.

I'm really hoping someone can add the missing piece so we can put a close to this. I've pretty much exhausted my resources and turned up nothing additional to what Tom has posted.

This is just a bad situation. I also hope that someone can find a way to contact "Mike."

All,

I have detached the discussion of the appropriateness or lack thereof of other jumpers potential actions, various plans, and "the pact."

Let's keep this thread for actual information and leads that may help us find Scott.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I am very, very close to Glendale, CA. About 10 minutes out...if someone needs me to go talk to the Glendale PD, or to door knock an address (or three...), feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can.

If someone wants to give me more information because I'm outside the BASE community, and wants/needs to remain private, please feel free to pm me or you can set up an anonymous email on hotmail and send it to me at this site.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Thank you to everybody that is helping. I am really shocked by how well the jumping community has helped. I know Scotts family is really thankful for all the help. And Tom thank you so much for all your help. And aiding my husband and Scotts brother and I in all your help. My husband, Scotts family and I really appreciate it. Please if anybody has any info on where Scott could be PLEASE PLEASE let someone know. Thank you, Jessica

i went to a local site in southern california and looked for Scott and the green ranger.
we didnt see anything, hope the search goes well.

Dont die!

Local news piece can be viewed here.

If anyone wants to discuss the content or tone of the piece, please start a separate thread to do so. Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It sounds as if Scotts friend(on the news) knows more than we think. He said that Scott was still alive with a broken neck and back when he was left for dead. If he knows this then he knows where to locate the body.

Mr. and Mrs. Denham everyone in the BASE community
Is praying for your son ,we are one family and your son will be remembered forever. for his greatness
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

That video clip is infuriating.With details like that someone has been talking and knows where he is.I hope someone goes to jail.

some of the LA locals have been contacted and are looking around local sites for him and his truck.

Does anyone know who this Jamie Kirk guy is from the news broad cast. I've been like a older brother to scott for over 9 years, I would appreciate any knowledge so I can get to the bottom of this. Where did these details come from???

thanks

mattpark

To all,

News is NOT truth by any means. Please do not speculate ANYTHING until more details are known.

Nobody really knows what happened at this point but Scott and Mike or anybody else who was at the scene.

I think there is already enough drama in this, it's no time to start being keyboard happy.
Memento Audere Semper

hear-hear, Nick makes a good point

speculation is not helping anyone right now

and at this point in time a discussion on the ethics involved here is not productive enough to justify the pain it will cause some people

I realise this is a very controversial topic and one that easily moves one to post, but if you do not have any information that could help locate Scott, please just post something like the following (feel free to copy and paste it):

dear family, friends and loved ones of Scott:
my thoughts and prayers are with you in these times

to any person who has information that could help find Scott:
please contact Scott's family or Tom Aiello as soon as possible with that information
it is time to start considering other people here and do what you can to help end this search

maybe if enough people expressed this sentiment, word would get around to someone with some information and they could be moved to provide said information

thank you
sam

dear family, friends and loved ones of Scott:
my thoughts and prayers are with you in these times

to any person who has information that could help find Scott:
please contact Scott's family or Tom Aiello as soon as possible with that information
it is time to start considering other people here and do what you can to help end this search

Joy and Rick Harrison

I would think that with local knowlege of the area and local crews in the area that they should be able to narrow down some specific sites. I would also think that both calls made could be traced and be able to get a address. Someone else knows besides these two... I would think a helicopter would be able to cover the narrowed sites in a couple of hours. I would also assume that the people here on this forum would be willing to chip in and help with a helicopter rental fo a couple of hours. I would think for about $500.00 bucks...would cover it. Thats $20.00 for 25 people....not much but could end this for the better...

We could setup a paypal account to do this. I would be the first to chip in. I also was a former ranger ...and would never leave someone behind...even if i didnt like or know them..... It's just not right....

Tom would know best how to arrange something like this with jumping locals....

just a thought.......

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Tom would know best how to arrange something like this with jumping locals....

Tom's already been coordinating much of the effort to help Scott's family.

-C.

I know he has...so lets see if we cant help Tom with anything he may need....

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Let's keep this thread for actual information and leads that may help us find Scott. If anyone wants to discuss the content or offer condolences please start a separate thread to do so.

Thanks!
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING