kremins

Slider Stops

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting the clear plastic slider stops on over the rapid links. I have some that came with my canopy that are being a pain. I am about ready to just forget them.

Ask Tom A.
He has cut a garden house and used it as slider bumpers for my canopy... :-)
Works great, I like them better then the ones that came with my canopy.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

route a pull up cord through the link, then through the bumper grip the bumper in one hand and pull on the pull up cord until the bumper is over the link

Install your slider stops. Over time, the slider descending into the links will damage the grommets. Damage to the grommets will cause sharp edges, separate the grommets, etc. This will provide a snag potential at worst and will provide wear on your lines at best. Lifesaving equipment is no place for laziness.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

the easiest way i've found after having to do this many times...

route a pullup-cord thru your lines (keeping them in order) then pull the lines thru the bumper. now attach the link and secure like normal. the bumper will be above the link around the lines... just grab the lines and (pull) slide the bumper down over the link.

for some reason, that makes it significantly easier.

got it?:P

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting the clear plastic slider stops on over the rapid links. I have some that came with my canopy that are being a pain. I am about ready to just forget them.

I changed mine out with some from Para Gear. They were softer/plyable?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Slider bumpers serve several purposes.

For one, they are used to protect your lines from a rapidly descending slider. (imagine the slider grommet smashing into the link, weakening and eventually severing your lines)

Second, and perhaps more importantly, they ensure proper orientation of the rapide link during deployment. Imagine side-loading a link on a 3 second slider-down delay (links are dramatically weaker when side-loaded). Or a line getting wrapped over the barrel, and subsequently yanked off, during the deployment sequence (which could easily sever the line).

No matter what you choose for a slider bumper, ensure that the bumper is secure on the link and will not easily slide off. If it does slide off during deployment, it is theoretically possible for it to travel back up the lines, potentially causing a hung slider.

Remember, when using a single-parachute system, it is imperative to stack the odds in your favor.

Bryan