piisfish

The CATAPULT....

Ps.: Hey, piifish, are you sure about AFF? He told me he started 30 years ago.

Well there was a guy doing his AFF in Empuria not so long ago, doing cannonball stuff and who wanted to build a catapult... Maybe he started 30 years ago though cause the guy already jumped rounds, but might have had a long layoff...

Or maybe it's another guy who had the same ideas.... Next time you go to EB ask Alain (who used to be working at Sonic)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

And both guys are named Jean Marc :-) I guess long time out of sport is most probable answer. Anyway I'm sure he jump cliffs.

Fido

very probable.. Even more if you shared exit with him :P

...doing cannonball stuff...

Jimmy Halliday used to be a cannonball guy in the circus. Maybe we can build one of these things and he can teach us all to use it. If we put it in Miles Daisher's back yard, we ought to be able to launch people into the gorge and get an extra 500 feet.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

A trailerable device might make roof access easier. Of course, you'd have to re-pack on the roof, or go unpacked...
...oh wait -- a perfect use for the Sorcerer!

I saw a similar device YEARS ago. Only in that case the guy was sitting instead of lying down. The biggest danger for them was blackout. Due to the G-forces blood might flow out of the brain. Needless to say you can't afford a blackout or brownout (that's when you don't actually go out but your vision becomes blurred/impaired) even if i's only a few secs.

:)perhaps an alternative could be something that spins round and round faster and faster and then just lets go when the G's get too much .. like those astronaut training rotors... or David's little sling.

That was wicked. I've wondered about that for ages.

Such a shame about the dance though, such a shame. :D

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

Hi Fido!
Yes I started skydiving 35 years ago and dropped out, it was no fun at this time, very military and so on.
Started all over again, skydiving and BASE, just for this catapult jump.
jm

I am the same Jean Marc, from Empuria and Tignes.
The catapult is not bungee operated, but uses a giant conterweight instead.
The G force is 4.5 to 5 G all the way up, and is easily bearable because of the lying down position.
No browning at all, just PURE FUN!!!!!!

FELICITATIONS Jean-Marc.
english version below...

Au départ à Empuria j'ai pensé que tu étais un illuminé et j'espérais ne jamais lire la suite de tes exploits dans les journaux tellement je n'y croyais pas.
Avec le temps et suite à des discussions avec d'autres personnes, j'ai compris que tu es un rêveur, un passionné, et que tu as franchi un pas dans l'accomplissement de tes rêves.
Si plus de gens avaient des rêves fous et faisaient ce qu'ils peuvent pour qu'ils se réalisent, le monde irait bien mieux...
On n'a qu'une vie, faut la vivre à fond.
Merci Jean Marc.

When I first met Jean Marc in Empuria, I thaught he was some illuminated guy and hoped never to read about his exploits in the news because I didn't believe in them.
With time and after discussions with people, I realised he was a dreamer, a guy with a passion, and that he made a step forward to make his dreams come true.
If more people had crazy dreams and did what they could to make them come true, the world would be a better place..
We only have one life, let's live it to the fulelst.
Thank you Jean Marc

Started all over again, skydiving and BASE, just for this catapult jump.

well, you came back with style!
congrats.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

yeah, sorry for the dance, but I was freezing, waiting for a friend in a tandem parapente to take off to film me going up at him.....:ph34r:

Where's the vid of that. Oh and by the way SICK jump. When's the catapult tour starting, Moab, Norway, any dz.

yeah, sorry for the dance, but I was freezing, waiting for a friend in a tandem parapente to take off to film me going up at him.....

Haha, that's alright then, I thought ya might have just been getting down for the ladies. :D

Congrats on the jump (is it a jump or a throw?) been waiting to see someone to do that for ages!

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

or brownout (that's when you don't actually go out but your vision becomes blurred/impaired)

I think you mean "greyout"
"Brownout" refers to reduction in supplied electrical power below normal levels.

(or after watching this video .......a very real biological possibility requiring a swift change of underwear ;) )

Where's the vid of that. Oh and by the way SICK jump. When's the catapult tour starting, Moab, Norway, any dz.

Well well.... That is the question......
I was so focused into making it happen that I just don't know what to do next.........
Anybody with practical ideas or contacts......?

Red Bull VERTIGO à Villeneuve (Suisse) :)

Thanks, I am already talking to those guys.... Let's see what come out of it....
Good jumps!!!!!!!!!!
jm

Only one question. How much did it cost?
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

Nah! When it comes to launching something, Russians are traditionally the first. --> :P
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Nice one!

I did hear that some whuffo thought that the 3 tall pipes coming out of the new Arizona wind tunnel were, in their own words, "a skydiver catapult". Maybe such thoughts aren't quite so far fetched after all. ;):P

Anyone want to talk to these guys about modifying their ride to release BASE jumpers?

I spent the weekend in Orlando at the tunnel and finally took the time (this trip) to see the sites... Rode the slingshot which is just a few blocks down the road. It was pretty cool.:)

If someone built this, would base jumpers pay $10 a shot?
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken