base509

WANKERS

well what ever happened to jumpers using their BASE numbers to show who they are while posting?
i know i've been out of the digital age for a bit but this is ridiculous. are you all ashamed of what you've earned? or if you haven't earned it yet working on it. hey maybe your one of those that "doesnt care". whatever man.
i earned mine a long time ago and i'm damn proud of it.it is something that no one can ever take away from me. you all have balls while standing at the exit point but dont have any sitting in front of a computer keyboard? in this age of electronic media no one can say "well i didnt know where to go"
i am going to ask the organizers of bridgeday to enforce a base number in the minimum requirements to jump. we'll see who wants one then. maybe we should impose those minimums to jump at the perinne and moab too. both site although legal aren't necessarily the safest for new jumpers.
signed proudly
BASE509
B________________

i am going to ask the organizers of bridgeday to enforce a base number in the minimum requirements to jump. we'll see who wants one then. maybe we should impose those minimums to jump at the perinne and moab too. both site although legal aren't necessarily the safest for new jumpers.

Having a BASE number doesn't mean you are a safer jumper. There have been plenty of people, myself included, who got their BASE number before they were really ready for it. Making site access depend on BASE numbers will only lead to more people being hasty in getting it, resulting in more accidents.

well what ever happened to jumpers using their BASE numbers to show who they are while posting?
i know i've been out of the digital age for a bit but this is ridiculous. are you all ashamed of what you've earned?

I've put my number in as "Student 1018" because I like to post under my real name. I think most people aren't necessarily ashamed of what they earned, they just don't think it's that big of a deal.

FWIW, there are many incredibly experienced and skilled BASE jumpers out there without a number. It doesn't make them less of a jumper.

Furthermore, BASE 1057 is the real wanker and he doesn't deserve that number! Hahaha, just kidding, congrulations bro!

I don't think he was trying to harsh on people who use their real name instead of their number. It seemed more aimed at people who make anonymous posts.

And, 509, I still remember who got me my number. If it wasn't for you and GoWayLow, I'd probably still be BASE nothing.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I wouldn't take BASE509's post that seriously (or anything on this forum for that matter), but he does make a good point. If you qualify for a number, but think it's cool to not get one, then you are cheating yourself out of something special.

Obtaining a BASE number is a reward bestowed upon a person for years of hard work. It's an elite club that only a thousand people have ever joined. Plus, there are 72 virgins waiting for you once you join!!! ;)

PS. Kramer is a wanker.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

i am going to ask the organizers of bridgeday to enforce a base number in the minimum requirements to jump.

Oh my...

If Joe were here posting in this thread with you, my life would be complete.

Don't tell people not to take him too seriously. Just make him write a whole new set of BD rules for discussion.

rl

P.S. You're a nag. I'm just a little slow this week...but I'll never be as slow as you are.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

If you qualify for a number, but think it's cool to not get one, then you are cheating yourself out of something special.

Funny thing is that only people whith a # says so..

a BASE number is a reward bestowed upon a person for years of hard work

By theese days you can for get about that,people get a BASE # whith in a year usaly not whith much experience,only to have the #... Even some of the old timers did the same;)

It's an elite club that only a thousand people have ever joined.

Cheers,i never knew that i were a part of the elite:ph34r::D

there are 72 virgins waiting for you once you join!!! ;)

My whish:):P

A BASE# is a personal thing,some people dont borther,others just want the # others want all the #´s they can get...

wouldn't take BASE509's post that seriously (or anything on this forum for that matter)

AARRGGGHH bummer:ph34r::D My name is Stefan Faber,im an BASEoholic My # is 850,and im happy about that:P:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Yo!

I wonder if anyone got a Nick's number while (or rather, because) trying to get a BASE number.

Personally, I hate numbers. ;)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

there are 72 virgins waiting for you once you join!!! ;)

that's not much of an incentive, I'd prefer a partner with skills.:P
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I agree with kramer. However there are so many people who don't care about numbers and don't bother to get a base number nowadays. Having base # something like 1300 pretty much that you are more like the 2000th or more person to have jumped all 4 objects. Base #s simply don't hold that much meaning to people anymore. Proud of mine though and would be way more proud if it was under 100.
Shane McConkey Base # 612

Wow.

You'd think someone who's "earned" his number a long time ago wouldn't have such a narrow view on what the sport/life is about.

Anyone can get a basenumber. It takes 4 jumps to get one. It says NOTHING however about who you are as a jumper/person, how you behave yourself, how you treat other people, your ethics etc etc. In other words it says nothing about the things that REALLY MATTER.

I hope you are trolling or drunk because otherwise you haven't got a clue. Laff! :D

Pretty Harsh criticism. I do Not have a BASE #
I just use my plain birth name when posting. I guess I just don't feel like this BASE Zone.com is a place I need to use as a secret hideout.
I am not ashamed to have a BASE Number. I just do not ask for one. It's called freedom of Choice.
I do not ask for a BASE Number. Just like I do not ask for Free-Fall Badges. For completion of hours of Freefall, 4-way, 8-way or anything else in Skydiving. Just happy to jump and to BASE jump. Just happy to have Friends all over the world that I have BASE jumped with.
Pretty Simple. It is just a personal Choice. Freedom of choice and to do what you want. That is what BASE jumping is all about.
BASE is personal choice and I personally don't feel I have to ask for Anything to, Just Belong.

I hope you are trolling or drunk because otherwise you haven't got a clue. Laff! :D

Looks like someone else needs to be handed a clue!
It was a pleasure for you to meed me!

Looks like someone else needs to be handed a clue!
It was a pleasure for you to meed me!

Yes I need a clue on how to decipher your posts.

If you qualify for a number, but think it's cool to not get one, then you are cheating yourself out of something special.

:D

Nothing to do with cool. I am not against numbers at all. I just don't want one. There are too many other numbers in life. Name, rank, serial number sir. License, pension, food bar line, bank account, employee, etc. No need for another and no need to be branded.

I have left a mark on this sport (building kick off about ten years ago as well as some gnarly landing imprints ;)), and I don't need a number to validate my existance in the sport. I am also recorded as a part of the sports history. We all are.

BASE####
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Well, Bruce, it seems that even after all this time, you haven't lost your touch.

:D

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Here we go!

BASE 576
Night BASE 123
Swedish BASE 2

(Can I still get a EC number?)

PerFlare
Swedish BASE Team

Pretty Harsh criticism. I do Not have a BASE #

Then you are nobody.

I just use my plain birth name when posting. .

The name must be fake.

You look like a BASE jumper i know. Must've killed him and stole his face, punk! :P

bsbd!

Yuri.

no need to be branded.

Thank goodness I read your post before I followed through on that...so, a tattoo is sufficient then?

"You look like a BASE jumper i know. Must've killed him and stole his face, punk! "
bsbd!
Yuri.
-
Maybe you are correct ?
Maybe that is why Every Time, I step out on the edge to Exit.
I feels like my very First BASE jump all over again.
Yuri who ? What did you say your name was ? You No-#, Punk ! .....:P
Hey (got idea) if I kill you. Can I have your name. Then put a BASE # to it ?

i am going to ask the organizers of bridgeday to enforce a base number in the minimum requirements to jump. we'll see who wants one then. maybe we should impose those minimums to jump at the perinne and moab too.

I had B, S & E completed for 16 years before I bothered to get off an A and my number early last year.

An Aussie jumper who has a BASE# earlier than me got his in only 4 jumps and then virtually stopped BASE a few jumps after that.

BASE#'s are primaraly an English-Speaking phenomenom and there's a huge non-English speaking scene with jumpers of the highest calibre (primarily European and Baltic) that don't bother with them. I've heard one estimate that puts the number roughly equal Eng-speaking to non-Eng-speaking BASErs out there.

Not attacking your sentimental lament for the tradition but using the numbers to quantify a person's ability is poor. I'm not from US so it's not my place to comment on any US sites but if a standard is to be implemented then there are better ways. The referee system used by organizers of KL events is much better at honing in on a particular jumpers skills - judgement from our peers.

g.
BASE 985
OzBASE86
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

garyp:
"BASE#'s are primaraly an English-Speaking phenomenom"
-

Hey Gary, BASE -#'s, may have been started by an American & be an American based organization but maybe the reason thought to Need a BASE Number might not be as clear as you think.
I personally don't understand why some choose to put a numerical order to BASE jumping. Clearly some base jumpers choose not to possess one and some BASE jumpers from other parts of the world simply just don't see the need. Also the thought that a BASE number can show any type of competency or quality of BASE skills is Asinine and clearly seen by all participating in out very small sport. I personally think you are being way to restraintive & kind. In your comment of BASE being ..."Primarily an English Speaking Phenomenon."
Possibly the said Need or Possession of a BASE number could be based solely on instinctive human competitiveness. By the Number Givers.
Maybe this said Need & Urgency to number every individual BASE jumper as a Pecking-Order of Rank is just Basic human drive for dominance and the need to be the leader of a group of participants.
Hey !, here's a thought Gary. Maybe it's a need to show the Importance and Simple Validity of that Groups Existence. ( the Number Givers ) By trying to point out. -You are Not Really one of Them.- You are of lesser quality or caliber because you are not in Their Chosen numerical order- ( By You ) a BASE jumper. Asking this (self proclaimed) Dominant Group For their Acceptance. By You Choosing to Let Them put -You- a BASE jumper in, Their Special Group.
Under the disguise of, If you Don't get a BASE-#, You are not going to be documented as a Authentic BASE jumper in writing. Recorded In the make-believe, Big-Book of World BASE- History. Without that BASE-# . While continuing to spout Some fucking Self-Rightious Bullshit, Guilt Trip of, You are a Parasite and a Thief for daring to BASE jump without a BASE-#. Because -ALL That is BASE- Was built on skills and Knowledge of jumpers before you in BASE past. Now you're made to feel like Jumping without an Assigned-# is Ignorant and spitting in the face of BASE itself. By Not bowing down and showing the proper Respect and Homage to all before you in the infancy of BASE.

Hey everybody,

let's not forget that BASE jumping was a much bigger deal ten or twenty years ago.

If you got your BASE number fifteen years ago, even if you only did it in only four jumps, it still meant you were one bad ass motherfucker. It may not have meant that you were a smart guy or a skilled BASE jumper, but it certainly meant you had a certain screw loose in the top of your head that made you pursue a crazy activity.

And that undeniably put you in the ranks of a certain elite. Whether or not you thought you needed a number to prove that doesn't matter much, but certainly you deserved the number.

These days that elite doesn't really exist anymore. BASE is much more accessible and anybody can do it. Take me for example. It's a pretty sad sport if a guy like me can go out and get a BASE number. Furthermore, getting BASE in four jumps is a moronic thing to do these days. You have to be pretty retarded to even try it. Not so 15 years ago. I mean, look at BASE 66. He got his number in four jumps but nobody is calling him on it. In fact, he gets our respect, and truly deserves it.

Why? Because it was a different time.

Maybe the numbers don't mean as much anymore as they once did. But it's just one of many signs that the sport is changing. Does it matter? Only if you're a hopeless romantic that is afraid of change...

Meanwhile a discussion on the value of numbers could be considered pointless. Let people decide for themselves whether or not they want a number and whether or not it means something to them.

I for one am truly disappointed with my number. It isn't prime... :(

To add to my own post; I wonder what kind of ages we can discern in BASE.

• 1 to 200 - The Invention. The guys that started it. Rolled the dice much more than today and became true next door neighbours with death.

• 200 to 850 - The Passion. The guys that saw an underground thing happening and realized this adventure could satisfy a craving no other thing could. Still respectful to their forefathers and the inventors, their ways of the Parachute were similar to the ways of the Samurai.

• 850 to today - The Explosion. The people that realized that BASE has become something you can practice safely in exchange for mere money. You can buy the BASE experience and have a significant chance of survival.

Warning, these are just random guesses and we can all argue the ranges should be different. Furthermore, each range has many jumpers that would equally belong in a different range. Even today there are plenty of inventors and samurais. Not to mention that certain subdisciplines in BASE have their own ranges and phases, take aerials and wingsuiting for example. Especially the latter could be considered in the invention stage still...

Damn, I'm so full of shit that sometimes I wonder if I should be banned permanently for that reason alone...

japp:
    "Damn, I'm so full of shit that sometimes I wonder if I should be banned permanently for that reason alone"...
    -

No shit. I agree. (never with the banned part) but, 1-200 / 200-850 / 850-up. The Invention. Passion& Explosion.
    Just another false classification and Labeling of a BASE jumper.