TomAiello

Stealth BASE Canopy

BASE Canopies of today still open, fly and land much like as the late '80's and early '90's seven cell canopies.

MEL

I hope thats not true. I know the aerodynamic principles didn't change, but do you really think not much changed in this aspect of the sport? I almost find this statement disrespectful to the hard work of BASE canopy manufacturers.

The picture labeled "Katie's Sexy Rig" would have been sexier if Katie was wearing it in the picture! :P:$

Sorry Katie, I just had to say it!

so you like the sweedish flag huh:ph34r:
nice canopy sweetie

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

BASE Canopies of today still open, fly and land much like as the late '80's and early '90's seven cell canopies

Now that I know this I'm putting my ACE on e-bay and try to relocate and buy back that bruiselite I once had and maybe get a Strato-Could for the super low stuff.
Memento Audere Semper

Hey marty can you confirm that the mojo was based off of the fury and the sharpghuter?
wuts up chad an K? great jumps over christmas!

As the designer of the Mojo, I’ll take the liberty of answering the question…

The Mojo used an airfoil similar to, but not the same as, the Pegasus. It is based on the Clark –Y. A tried and true airfoil that is older than most people alive today. Most other design elements of the Mojo were the product of either empirical knowledge or current standards of the time.

The Mojo has no direct relation to either the Fury or Sharpchuter other than both of those are “derivatives” of the Pegasus.

Adam Filippino
CR, Inc.
www.crmojo.com

BASE Canopies of today still open, fly and land much like as the late '80's and early '90's seven cell canopies.

MEL

I hope thats not true. I know the aerodynamic principles didn't change, but do you really think not much changed in this aspect of the sport? I almost find this statement disrespectful to the hard work of BASE canopy manufacturers.

The aerodynamic properties are Opening, Flying, and Landing as I stated.

Also, being a manufacturer, I would not want to be disrespectful of myself.

Several subtle things have changed over the years like load bearing tape placement, reinforcement in certain areas, tailgates, and etc.

If you read Adam's post, he explains that his canopy is vey much a "cousin", if you will, of the Pegasus.

The Stealth is also, although both the Mojo and Stealth are two completely different canopies.

For people that do not know this, The Pegasus was designed and built by Mike Furry of Digango Enterprises.

The Pegasus and Digango where involved in a lawsuit over the patented line attachments belonging to Steve Snyder.

They lost the lawsuit and Mike Furry then formed Glide Path.

Glide Path then redesigned the Pegasus into a canopy with different line attachments called line flares.
That canopy was called the Fury. From the Fury, came several other sized canopies, including the Sharpcuter from which the Stealth was based.

Hope that clears up some things for you guys!

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Mel,

Can you share ant of your development and testing process with us?

I am specifically interested in test deployments and developments of the canopy's slider down/off opening characteristics.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom,
I will have to dig out my notes on the specifics, so I will in a day or two.

I just got back from Cali and am in the mist of catching up here.

I have attached a Jpeg from a Demo I did last June.
I do it every year and it gets tighter each year.
The landing area is about the size of three tuffets or there about.

The Canopy is bringing me back up out of an almost buttslide( I was a little short:$).

MEL

The design is borrowed from the Sharpcuter, but has a alot of differences.

That is twice you have misspelled Sharpchuter.
Not trying to be critical, but you should consider carefully editing and spellchecking your statements before posting. Slop in one area of life is frequently interpreted as propagating to other areas of life, and rigging and canopy evaluation are not areas where this is acceptable. Perception of an extreme attention to detail and the relentless pursuit of perfection are required in order to gain the hearts, minds, and trust of the fixed object community. (Thanks for that nugget 460!!)
take care,
space

Wow!

I owe you two "H's".

Actually spellcheck flags it in both spellings.

I hear what you are saying, but I spell Stealth alot more than Sharpchuter.

Cheers,
MEL