TomAiello

BASE Ethics: A crock of shit?

thats because at one time we owned 75% of this planet

once UK got beaten by the danish vikings.. perhaps you should start speak danish now..:ph34r:B|:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

AreUCrazy, the attachment you have posted is one of the most digusting displays of bad taste that I have seen on a BASE/skydiving related forum...

That image is all over the web. It's more relevant to flame wars than the disabled. But that's besides the point: When did all these BASE jumpers become giant politically correct pussies?

Ethics in BASE are scarce. Screw all those guidelines. BASE jumping is fun. That's why we do it. It's total freedom. There are really only two things you have to do outside of jumping itself to maintain that fun: protect your people and objects. Fuck the specifics. It's common sense.

If what you're doing isn't adding surveillance to an object or hurting anyone, then huck it with your buddies, grab a beer, and say funny shit.

Oh, dear b66to77, you are wrong on this point, he IS doing something.

With a wife as a special ed teacher I don't find this at all in good taste. I see it all the time and should not even remotely think it is funny. Humor comes in all shapes and sizes and this place ain't the breeding ground for anything logical.

im not sure the UK´s will agreeSlyLaugh

Dansk er bedstTongue

I think I know of where you are talking about and please, I don't want to learn another language.

That image is all over the web.

So? Are you saying that just because it's all over the web we should just accept it?

It's more relevant to flame wars than the disabled.

How do you know it's less relevant to them?

But that's besides the point: When did all these BASE jumpers become giant politically correct pussies?

WTF? Sometimes you just have to speak out against what you think is wrong.
flummi
* Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *

No I speak more than one language, look at the attachment.
----
oh, just in case you are one of the people that only speak one language (what are they called again?): the translation of my signature would be "respect is our task". that applies also to human beings outside of our sport.
flummi
* Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *
----

edit to remove attachment ~TA

"Whats the difference between shit and applebutter?" - Kim Fuller

classic. well put.

"... protect your people and objects. Fuck the specifics. It's common sense. "

what fun would that be when we can debate the shit out of it uselessly on the virtualnet. ;)

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Hi Shane (and everyone else),

I hope you'll respond to this thread and we can discuss this a bit more, and that everyone can learn from it.

I had read those documents several times and yet broke a few rules that I would never intentionally have broken on a recent trip :$.

Guess, I can only get better :P.

Kris.

Ethics in BASE are scarce. Screw all those guidelines. BASE jumping is fun. That's why we do it. It's total freedom.

sorry, not in my name.
base for me is not only fun.
and no way, it is not total freedom.
we are all walking in a world where we are not alone.
we are related to each other in certain ways, if we like it or not.
I don´t want to start a philosophy discussion about freedom of individuals or freedom of mind.
this is a major theme somewhere else.
if you consider yourself beeing totaly free during base, conclusion is that you are unfree most of the rest of your time..
by the way, what would you call guys, that say: slapp a basejumper in the face if you see one, that´s total freedom and pure fun...
but let´s stop that.

it is a big difference between beeing a p-c-pussy and show respect to others.
if this would be your world, your bridge or your selfbuilt object and you were the only one on that planet, then you could be able to speak of totally freedom and you don´t have to care about others.

as long as this is not the case, we all have to follow guidelines and are doing well with that.
more or less, that´s true.
maybe I´m wrong with that for you, but it works well for me.
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Common sense should be enough. With so many objects and so many ways to jump, it's impossible to set up rules that apply to everything. It really is just common sense. The fact that written guidelines exist indicate that a lot of people are in over their heads by BASE jumping.

Avoid evidence of illegal jumps like being seen or damaging property. Why? Not because it's in so-and-so's PDF, but because you can be charged with a crime, and therefore punished, and it might make the object in question more difficult to jump without getting caught.

Plan your jump, leave yourself outs, stay aware of your environment, and don't try things too far beyond your known ability at less than familiar objects. Why? Not because of some loosely written code, but because you don't want to get hurt or killed.

Reminder: BASE jumping is fucking dangerous. If you don't have the level of common sense needed to dynamically make the right decisions before, during, and after a jump, then BASE jumping is not for you. If that's the case, hopefully your smarter buddies will let you know before you get selected out or arrested. No number of guidelines will help. These strict specific rules usually serve to allow underqualified (slow reactions, bad judgment) people to continue to jump and also stirs shit up when an enforcer calls out a heads up jumper that didn't follow an unnecessary "rule".

If you need written rules to dicate your BASE career, then maybe you should retire. If you don't get it without "reading the rules", then you never will.

If you need written rules to dicate your BASE career, then maybe you should retire. If you don't get it without "reading the rules", then you never will.

"the" ethics or "the" rules do not exist.
no one "needs" written rules to jump
and this is obvious if you watch nowadays jumpers all around the world.
garbage in the swiss valley, injuries because of trying more than able, burning sites, .. just to mention a few.
what is the difference between being told during a jump course, not to jump in daylight on a sensitve exit or if this is written down?

these guidelines should make visible, what is behind the curtain.
it is not just someone alone with his jump. there is always someone else who wants to jump there.
and it doesn´t matter if legal or not.
we do a lot of official legal or tolerated stuff here in europe and have to act responsible.

in my point of view there is no need to discuss ethics.
ethics demand character.
if someone does not have that, he is excused.

[:/]

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

garbage in the swiss valley

this is not/should not be a written rule... it is a simple question of respect and normal behaviour. Worldwide.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

the garbage thing was just an example.
I did some of my early E´s in that valley years ago.

a few years ago, no one had to drop a message here to name the bad behaviour in that area.
it was common sense not to litter the exit or even the packing area.
I agree, that there is no explicit written down statement, saying :you should not leave garbage behind the pub.
and I agree this should never be neccessary.

in fact, it is like we read it a few weeks ago
as it was posted here in that forum.
was it neccessary because everyone followed common sense?
I guess no.
or the common sense has changed.
what´s your opinion?

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

or the common sense has changed.
what´s your opinion?

It has changed...I see it in people of all walks of life and even in my own kids...basiclly, people dont give a shit about what they do and how it effects others.Its sad....our kids today live by example...we dont seem to be giving them a good one...I saw a lady the other day throw a burger wrapper out the window on the freeway right infront of me ...if my wife and kids where not with me i am quite sure i would of taken my rover and run that stupid bitch off the road...... "is that road rage" or 'Idiot Rage";)

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

some suckers need their butts kicked...
Moreover everybody hates to have to be the police...

My opinion is there should be a regulatory organism for BASE, and jumpers should pay a membership, and pay for exits, and would have to follow the rules otherwise would be banned from the BASE-DZ's... :| :D:D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I've heard it said, "character is what you do when no one is looking".

No that is called making chinese eyes picking your nose, and masturbation.

I like that, its a good ethos.

Its a pity more people don't follow it.
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

garbage in the swiss valley

this is not/should not be a written rule... it is a simple question of respect and normal behaviour. Worldwide.

Exactly my point.