yuri_base

cliff strike in Arizona

In the end I think the Potato Bridge is hurting more people than helping them.

i think your right,but watch out its as bad to say as "people get their BASE#´s way too early/easy theese days"...

I have been bashed from both abowe lines by time..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Duh! Obviously that's going to be Abbie! Hey Abbie, you done working on the highway yet? Suckah!

You're not gonna believe the shit that asshat pulled off to get rid of the remaining hours. Maybe he'll chime in here before he comes to pick me up on our way to Twin.

You all think that MP3 of his wicked GC skills was deft? I ever get popped on a jump, I'm hiring Abraham Mashaal, Esquire to defend me in court.

-C.

Hey there KMonster... I like your new Logo on your post... It ROCKS :)...

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

I agree cool logo,
Tom M. loved them damn things. It's cool he sent that to you KMonster. We left him one at the "A"[:/]

Stay safe
Jason

Nick u have to stop being so critical everyone makes mistakes u do I mean I dont but most people do Yuri is a good guy and i'll be glad to jump with him soon as he gets his gear back and he is sensible he said to me today that he wasn't ready for bs yet and why an i still up at 530 all tweeked out on a wed night.
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

Not critical, factual, there is a difference...I think you should teach Yuri how to tard over the same cliff ;)
Memento Audere Semper

its gona be so crome when i so him brotha i am thinking about tard over death camps but only on cliffs or Bs by the way do you want to buy any pics of your wife and I
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

its gona be so crome when i so him brotha i am thinking about tard over death camps but only on cliffs or Bs by the way do you want to buy any pics of your wife and I

oh dude, nice going!

don't forget to tell mr. purplepants that you will become the esteemed McFlonkey-BASE # 1....

I agree cool logo,
Tom M. loved them damn things. It's cool he sent that to you KMonster. We left him one at the "A"[:/]

Stay safe
Jason

I still have the last 2 that he bought. Saving them in my fridge for whenever the the time is right. Will save at least one of the tabs to carry with me from now on:(

May we live long and die out

Edit: Add pic or armor in use.

hey Chad

I noticed from the pic that you wear your body armour and pads exposed.

I have similar armour (shuttle suit pro) and I used to wear bits exposed, but I looked at all the possible snag points (especially arms) and now always cover all my armour/padding with clothing.

wondering what your thoughts are on this one?

Basically, I'm not worried about it. I place my pilot chute where I want it in the air. I'm conscious of when conditions could cause my bridle to interfere with part of my body and I try to plan my jump/delay so that isn't an issue.

If there's a higher than normal possibility that snag factor may be an issue on a certain jump, then I'll wear a long-sleeve shirt over it.

hey dude

glad you came out of that OK

finally had a chance to look at the video and I noticed this:

4.7s - canopy is facing the wall perpendicularly. "Oh Shit" moment. I get on risers and start turning right.

OK, so you're trying to turn right, this seems a reasonable reaction, as the offheading was left and the initial reaction is usually to counter the offheading, instead of assessing whether going with it and turning left would have been better. Right looked like the best way to turn anyways from the video.

7.0s - canopy is flat against the wall, while my body is now rotating left. I regrabbed the risers higher. From video it looks like I reach for the left toggle. I don't remember that moment and whether I released the toggle or not. Canopy is shearing some rocks off the cliff and tearing itself.

no dude, you don't reach for the left toggle, you reach up and end up unstowing the left toggle and letting it up, while regrabbing the right riser. I don't know if you tried for both toggles and just missed the right, or if you tried for grabbing both risers higher and unstowing the left toggle accidently??

this is where more jumps would've helped you be more precise and either have the risers high enough initially to back up, then turn, or get the toggles quickly and cleanly and go from unstowing straight into deeper brakes and stall turn if needed, not letting up.

7.6s - my body is facing 90 left, but despite the attempts to turn left, the canopy seems to be "glued" to the wall.

the canopy is trying to turn right, as you have unstowed the left toggle and let it up into almost full flight, while the right toggle is still stowed and you're on the right riser, you may have subsequently given left toggle input again, but not enough to overcome the combination of right toggle stowed and right riser input

8.0s - I'm facing the wall again, continuing to fall straight down (the cliff is overhang there) and pulling on both risers to back up from the wall.

left toggle unstowed, right toggle stowed, risers gripped at about the same spot with about the same input: the canopy is still turning right due to this, which is keeping it against the wall

10.0s - I pull hard to turn right.

dude, it took you a relatively long time to realise it's not turing left and changing your plan again to turn right

11.0s - overhung is over and the slope (~10 degrees) is coming up at me and I hit it with my legs and ass. I'm facing 90 right now and continue to pull on right riser with all my force. This finally turns me 180 from the wall.

you could've been off that wall way sooner if you were using both riser with the brakes stowed, or both toggles with the brakes unstowed

flying a canopy with one toggle and the other riser (with other toggle still stowed in DBS) is hard enough on it's own, doing it with the canopy dragging down a cliff face is making your life really hard

12s - after sliding some 20ft on my ass down the 10 degree slope the canopy finally acquires some horizontal speed and I fly away from the wall.

the canopy finally acquires some horizontal speed because you have now finally unstowed the right toggle too and let both up to fly

7. 322 is a big canopy loaded at 0.70 lbs/sq.ft. It is noticeably slower than the 293 Fox I used to jump before. Big is good! It is less responsive, though, and requires larger inputs and more time. It's a tradeoff between the force you're smacked against the wall and the time it takes to turn it away.

big is good and while I have not jumped a base canopy loaded less than 0.76, I can assure you that a lot of the lack of response you were trying for there was due to the way you were flying that canopy

9. There was no time for panic.

no doubt

Mind and body switched to survival mode. I wasn't even shaken, just in pain and high. Everything was in full auto.

so you executed your planned response to a 180 in full auto?

Which makes it even more important to engrave the right reflexes into your body.

no doubt, but as a super experienced basejumper said to me:

'assess, assess, assess'

this does not mean take precious time to analyze the situation, you don't have the time

this means assess which one of the scenarios you have planned for and played out in your head, is happening to you now and take the actions you have programmed specific reflexes for based on that

do not program any reflexive response that you do not want to execute every time you get the programmed trigger, i.e. if you program going straight for the toggles, unstowing and letting them up and reinforce this by doing it on a bunch of jumps, this is what you will try to do even when the shit hits the fan

I'd like to know if your plan was to unstow one toggle and let it up while keeping the other stowed and using that riser?

On low jumps, open pin flap and mud flaps.

I fail to see the relevance here, even for a guy your size 450ft is not low.

It sounds like you are looking at equipment issues everywhere to explain why this did not go like you may have imagined it before.

It seems to me that the major issues here were training, skills and judgement. If you had developed those more before this jump, hopefully your reaction would've been a bit different and you would either not have hit the cliff or been off it much sooner.

10. Body armor. Need to say more?

no you don't, especially on cliff jumps, I hope to see more people 'dress for the crash' in the future, just remember to cover the snag points that come with pads, I have seen a bridle snag a kneepad once already.

Happy and safe New Year to all, and c-ya at the exit point! :)

happy new year to you too!

and it will be cool to see you at the exit point, as long as it is an exit point suited to your experience and skill level... :P

dude, you got lucky bigtime, I hope this is a major wake-up call for you and not something that makes you feel bulletproof