yuri_base

cliff strike in Arizona

Yo!

I had a cliff strike last week in Arizona (S******, 450ft).

I thought whether to post about it or not. Nobody likes to reveal their fuckups. But without sharing the information, there will be no learning. This post and video is a tribute to those who share for others to learn and whose videos helped me to create a mental picture of the cliff strike and handle it without panic.

I have the video detailing the various stages of the strike. If anybody can host a 66MB file, PM me (skydivingmovies.com is down now).

Equipment used: Apex DP, Flik 322 Vtec (exit weight ~225lbs), 48" ZP PC. Jump: 2s delay stowed. Cliff: 450ft to impact, 600ft to landing. Wind: ~5mph from right. Body protection: Hanwag boots, kneepads, gloves, helmet.

This was my jump #38.

Jump time sequence:

0s - exit. Exit point is a little triangle sloping down, you need to make a good push to clear outcropping. When launching, I erred on the head-high side. Kicked legs in attempt to better the body position.

2.2s - symmetric pull. My body was at about 45-60 angle head-high. Tilted a little to the left, but not bad.

3.0s - my body suddenly started to rotate and made 90 left in just 0.5s. I still don't know what caused this quick turn. I didn't feel any snag on my body. It is possible for bridle to get snagged momentarily on the right bottom corner of the container (where there is a little space between the corner and main lift web attachment) in the head-high position and increase the force required to extract the pin, while rotating the body left during this momentary hesitation.

3.7s - canopy inflation. "this is probably it" moment. Canopy makes another 90 left due to low left shoulder and continuing body rotation.

4.7s - canopy is facing the wall perpendicularly. "Oh Shit" moment. I get on risers and start turning right. I got on them too quick to grab them high, making the turn non-aggressive. This was a mistake, but it was too late to re-grab.

6.2s - wall strike. I struck at about 45 degrees angle. Half a second before the strike I realized that it's imminent and pulled on both risers to slow down. Raised the legs and took most of the impact with them.

7.0s - canopy is flat against the wall, while my body is now rotating left. I regrabbed the risers higher. From video it looks like I reach for the left toggle. I don't remember that moment and whether I released the toggle or not. Canopy is shearing some rocks off the cliff and tearing itself.

7.6s - my body is facing 90 left, but despite the attempts to turn left, the canopy seems to be "glued" to the wall.

8.0s - I'm facing the wall again, continuing to fall straight down (the cliff is overhang there) and pulling on both risers to back up from the wall.

10.0s - I pull hard to turn right.

11.0s - overhung is over and the slope (~10 degrees) is coming up at me and I hit it with my legs and ass. I'm facing 90 right now and continue to pull on right riser with all my force. This finally turns me 180 from the wall.

12s - after sliding some 20ft on my ass down the 10 degree slope the canopy finally acquires some horizontal speed and I fly away from the wall.

29s - stand-up landing. Flare was weak, but not bad. It turned out I flew on 6 cells, with holes here and there.

I got away mostly unscathed: smashed elbow and a few bruises and lacerations. The canopy and its pilot are expected to make a full recovery. ;)

My observations and thoughts:

1. I went stowed off an unfamiliar cliff with a sketchy exit point. "What could possibly go wrong?", right? ;) Should have gone handheld.

2. I always thought head-high position is better that head-low. Now I think the opposite. (Of course, perfectly flat is the best, but sometimes we have to err.) Head-high position has more snagging possibilities (bottom corner of container for bridle, helmet and camera for canopy and lines) than moderate head-low with straight legs. Besides, in head-high position the tension in the risers is transmitted directly to leg straps on inflation, and thus the evenness of hips (which is harder to feel and control) is what determines the heading. In head-low position, shoulders take the first hit and they are easier to feel and control.

3. Can the bridle be jammed momentarily between your body and container's corner when you pull head-high? Anybody have had snags like this? If yes, the main lift web attachment should be made wider so its bottom is flush against the bottom corner of the container. I'll experiment to see if I can reproduce the snag.

4. After pull, I usually hold my hands near shoulders in anticipation of risers. So when I faced the wall, I grabbed them immediately -- and it was too close to shoulders. There was not enough range of motion to make a hard turn. Practicing at Potato bridge is one thing, the real thing is another. I'm thinking now about holding hands stretched high in anticipation of risers, so that when you get on risers quick, you have the full range.

5. Turn or back up? Which one is more effective? Of course, it depends on the distance to the wall. I think if I had my hands high on risers and stalled the canopy quick, I could have avoided the strike. But who knows. I was about 10ft from the wall. Interestingly, just a few days before the accident I researched the possibility of using high-accuracy GPS+ (20 measurements per second, 1/4 inch accuracy, see e.g. http://www.topcongps.com/images/GPSPlusBooklet.pdf) to imitate cliff strikes on bridge jumps and to learn how effective different methods (risers vs. toggles, turn vs. back up) are.

6. "Thanks God for vents!" The canopy stayed pressurized all the time. One can only imagine how this strike would look like without vents. No vents most likely means no writing about your accident by yourself.

7. 322 is a big canopy loaded at 0.70 lbs/sq.ft. It is noticeably slower than the 293 Fox I used to jump before. Big is good! It is less responsive, though, and requires larger inputs and more time. It's a tradeoff between the force you're smacked against the wall and the time it takes to turn it away.

8. Deep brake setting was not deep enough. I Potato-tested the DBS and was satisfied with it, but flying towards the wall provided an ultimate - almost last - test. Don't rely on "looks OK" setting. Perhaps using GPS off Potato can help to fine-tune your DBS to "minimum horizontal speed, but still not stalling" position.

9. There was no time for panic. Mind and body switched to survival mode. I wasn't even shaken, just in pain and high. Everything was in full auto. Which makes it even more important to engrave the right reflexes into your body. Engraving the seemingly looking right, but in real emergency not working reflexes doesn't help. When jumping a bridge practicing riser drills, there's time to raise hands to grab the risers. When you face the wall 10ft from you, hands automatically grab the risers where they are. I might be wrong, but now I think hands should be up high waiting for risers. If not perfectly flat, err a little bit on head low side with legs straight. Stop kicking legs before the pull. On low jumps, open pin flap and mud flaps. See if bridle can catch on the bottom of your container.

10. Body armor. Need to say more?

To jumpers I met in Arizona: you guys kick ass!!! I had a great time with you. Many thanks for everything.

Happy and safe New Year to all, and c-ya at the exit point! :)
Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

I got away mostly unscathed: smashed elbow and a few bruises and lacerations. The canopy and its pilot are expected to make a full recovery.

Glad about that :)
Kris.

Yo !

I'm glad that you came out of it mostly intact. Happy New Year! :)
I won't comment on the strike itself: from your description it is a very typical run-off-a-mill event with obvious lessons. Rather, i'd like to repeat a warning about going stowed. Large PC at low airspeed will hesitate every now and then when stowed, sometimes it will be enouh to scare or kill you. If you plan on making a large number of BASE jumps, you may want to eliminate this random factor by going handheld - especially with a 48.

bsbd!

Yuri.

Hey dude right on!! Never give up! ;)
Glad to heard that you are Ok

Personally I was thought, that if I was going to do a stowed jump in wish terminal velocity is not going to be reach "1-7 Sec", to leave the excess bridle out of the container.

In my gear the shrivel tap is attach to the bridle by a knot, and these knot presents a possible snap point when you place the excess under the flap in the bottom corner, but it doesn’t present any problem when you are going terminal.

Hope this helps:).
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

Thanks, Brook!
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Yuri, glad to see you made it out of that one relatively uninjured. I will take this opportunity to try and talk you into a set of this

Good job fighting.

Edit: Add pic or armor in use. And... with your strike, after watching the video a couple times, with that jacket your arm would have been totally fine.

what an incredible video. he didn't even swear when he hit the wall and struggled to turn it around.

excellent work, yuri! glad you are relatively unscathed! :)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Did you go out and buy a lottery ticket? Nice job of not giving up, made it across the water and everything!

2. I always thought head-high position is better that head-low. Now I think the opposite. (Of course, perfectly flat is the best, but sometimes we have to err.) Head-high position has more snagging possibilities (bottom corner of container for bridle, helmet and camera for canopy and lines) than moderate head-low with straight legs. Besides, in head-high position the tension in the risers is transmitted directly to leg straps on inflation, and thus the evenness of hips (which is harder to feel and control) is what determines the heading. In head-low position, shoulders take the first hit and they are easier to feel and control.

I disagree.

If you are worried about camera snag, there is a simple solution: Don't wear a camera.

Having the tension pulled through to your hips gives you a better chance to steer the canopy through an opening with body english--not worse. Have you ever tried to steer a skydiving opening by leaning? Did you use your hips or your shoulders?

3. Can the bridle be jammed momentarily between your body and container's corner when you pull head-high? Anybody have had snags like this? If yes, the main lift web attachment should be made wider so its bottom is flush against the bottom corner of the container. I'll experiment to see if I can reproduce the snag.

It absolutely can with some containers. This is a characteristic of the specific container. For example, my Gargoyle allows this snag (there is a relatively large inset between the harness and the bottom corner of the container), but my Prism does not (the harness is flush with the bottom of the container). In my opinion, it's better to have the harness flush, but container design involves many considerations, and there are likely to be many trade-offs made by the manufacturers that few other people have ever considered.

Bridle snagging between the body and container corner doesn't even have to be temporary. There was a student fatality from this malfunction in Europe a while ago, and in that case the snag stayed and the PC towed until impact.

Turn or back up?

Both. Backing up buys you the time and distance to make the turn. Be aware that backing up eats up a lot of altitude, though, so if you can make the turn in the available space, you ought to skip the backing up. The trick is to instinctively know if you have enough space, and unfortunately no one can get that one right 100% of the time.

It's a tradeoff between the force you're smacked against the wall and the time it takes to turn it away.

In the strict sense, that is true. It's important, though, to recognize that the time it takes to turn away is not the same as the distance travelled before turning away. Taking more time to execute the turn does not mean that you are more likely to strike unless there is a headwind (viewed from exit) pushing you toward the wall.

Perhaps using GPS off Potato can help to fine-tune your DBS to "minimum horizontal speed, but still not stalling" position.

Video from directly above is also a good tool for testing DBS. If you do a floater, the straight down video angle gives you a very good understanding of the speed with which your canopy closes on the object (or flies under the bridge).

Nice job! This is one of the big tests in BASE, and you passed. Good work!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Glad to hear your ok man...and good job pulling through that. I have some sweet ground footy of a wall strike very similar to that one that happened at the turkey boogie a couple months ago. It was one of multiple strikes but it was the one that turned out the "best". Anyways, good job pulling through.

bsbd

Yuri, glad to see you made it out of that one relatively uninjured. I will take this opportunity to try and talk you into a set of this

Good job fighting.

Why not a full body Armor for the same price??;)

$400 US Full Body Armor

Medusa
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

Becareful if you buy a full suit of armour. I use the Dainesse Shuttle Suit (Jacket with built in shorts). Great armour, but I have found the more you get and the more time / effort to put it on the less likely you are to wear it. I exited just before Yuri with just knee pads and helmet as protection the rest of my suit was in the trunk of the car.....................

I thought whether to post about it or not. Nobody likes to reveal their fuckups. But without sharing the information, there will be no learning.

Absolutely - There is a very old saying. . . cliche . . ."You will never live long enough to make every mistake". And another: "It is better to learn from the mistakes of others".

Well done on sharing and surviving!!!!!!

When launching, I erred on the head-high side. Kicked legs in attempt to better the body position.

Pre plan your launch and have a logical reason for positioning, equipment configuration, etc. The kicking legs thing I think will actually be a negative thing on most occasions. Kicking your legs means you are also moving your lower torso. You are potentially twisting it. You twist it one way, then another. You may actually be contributing to a turn (similar to those occasions when you try to kick out of a line twist but actually make it worse). You are also increasing the probability of creating instability in your body by thrashing your legs around. The airflow around your body is being disturbed by the thrashing legs. Depending on the length of delay and the severity of the poor body position, sometimes it is better to know where it is at, make subtle attempts to ride it out to deployment, know the likely outcome of your position (i.e. left shoulder down may lead to left off heading), and then deal with it. This might be OK for a shorter delay when things are going just a little bit wrong. The flip side of this is that it adds to all the things you have to think about when jumping. Too much info and too many options sometimes confuses people.

3.0s - my body suddenly started to rotate and made 90 left in just 0.5s.

I have seen a guy freefall a 57m bridge and do an unintentional full 180 degree turn from exit to swing through. His launch put a very slight lateral rotation to the left and the momentum and airspeed sped it up. In your scenario, it is possible that you have hit sufficient airspeed with a little momentum in your body position to accelerate your rotation. It is also possible that your leg movements may have contributed to the rotation (refer comments above). Regarding the pilot chute snag theory, yep, it is possible too, as long as the pilot chute was inflated during the turn. An example of this is a building jump I watched from above years ago - the jumper launched flat but about 45 left of heading. He was p/c in hand and it actually started inflating in his hand as he fell. After about 2.5 secs, his body was now 45 to the right of heading, his right should/body was higher than the left on account of the drag force of the inflated pilot chute, and he started turning faster to his right. He released the pilot chute. The body heading right and the left dipped shoulder cancelled each other out resulting in an on heading opening (I have deliberately used the offset body heading / dipped shoulder strategy for certain jump conditions and locations).

It is possible for bridle to get snagged momentarily on the right bottom corner of the container (where there is a little space between the corner and main lift web attachment) in the head-high position and increase the force required to extract the pin, while rotating the body left during this momentary hesitation.

Almost anything is possible. Your head up body position seems to contradict this a little. The lower right corner of the rig is probably at a lower C of G. I think this would mean that a drag force applied to the area would cause your body to pitch forward a little. It may also lift the right side of the body. If these happened, then it probably would have contributed something to your rotation. Depending on your awareness level (sorry, but I don't know you), you may have noticed this.

1. I went stowed off an unfamiliar cliff with a sketchy exit point. "What could possibly go wrong?", right? Should have gone handheld.

I think that a flatter position is good for stowed and a more head up position is good for hand held. When going hand held, ensure that the bridle runs from the flap/pins to the top of the rig, to the top side of your hand. As you have suggested, don't let it hang loose around the BOC.

I always thought head-high position is better that head-low. Now I think the opposite. (Of course, perfectly flat is the best, but sometimes we have to err.) Head-high position has more snagging possibilities (bottom corner of container for bridle, helmet and camera for canopy and lines) than moderate head-low with straight legs. Besides, in head-high position the tension in the risers is transmitted directly to leg straps on inflation, and thus the evenness of hips (which is harder to feel and control) is what determines the heading. In head-low position, shoulders take the first hit and they are easier to feel and control.

Wooooaaaahhhhh. There are different body positions for different situations and different people in different stages of development. You would not instruct a newbie to go head down in the early jumps as this leads to lots of potential snag and heading problems + more time required to regain control of heading / steering. In head down, when you dip a shoulder on one side, not only do you load the riser harder on that side, but as your body swings through, it has a tendency to turn on that point and start rotating - this could lead to line twists. Head high is better - you have to work on removing the snagging possibilities and not make your body position a band aid for gear configuration problems. Camera helmets should be flush and snag free. That is one reason I don't go for the side mounts. I have seen too many ripped off by riser slap and on average, BASE camera people are more likely to stick the heads in the path of the riser to get a different shot or better look at something during deployment.

Head high loadings start on the upper main lift web (which is connected to the risers), then chest strap and then to the leg straps via the rest of the harness in between. It is at line stretch that the most significant impact for heading is felt. This is where the initial force is applied to the lines and corresponding canopy mass. The stuff afterwards just adds to the original affect. Harness balance is an important point. Experienced jumpers can control headings to some extent using harness weight shift. This is particularly evident on the very small elliptical skydiving canopies (I jump an FX104 and steer my openings using hips when jumping wingsuits!!!).

Going back to the "head low, shoulders take first hit" comment. Theory is OK, but in practice, your body is more likely to be rock and rolling from this position during the swing through - you will actually have less control over the entire system if your body is wildy swinging through. It is easier to grab your risers when head up and moving about 90 degrees on a swing through than head down and swinging 180 degrees!!!

Can the bridle be jammed momentarily between your body and container's corner when you pull head-high? Anybody have had snags like this? If yes, the main lift web attachment should be made wider so its bottom is flush against the bottom corner of the container. I'll experiment to see if I can reproduce the snag.

Yes. But I recomment working on your bridle routing first. And you have to take into consideration potential body positions / scenario's for this - i.e. head up/down, on back, etc.

After pull, I usually hold my hands near shoulders in anticipation of risers. So when I faced the wall, I grabbed them immediately -- and it was too close to shoulders. There was not enough range of motion to make a hard turn. Practicing at Potato bridge is one thing, the real thing is another. I'm thinking now about holding hands stretched high in anticipation of risers, so that when you get on risers quick, you have the full range.

WHen I am dialled in / current / etc this is sort of what I do. Experience and time will teach you what your body position is actually like in freefall. Then you will be able to make SLIGHT (don't overamp - think of a dampened loop control system here for all you engineer types) adjustments in freefall, or you will ride it out and know what the outcome is likely to be and be able to allow for it on opening. As my pilot chute is released, I move my hands up to the area that the risers are most likely to be (again - when experienced you can adjust your positioning when your body position is out of whack). As I am moving the hands there, I can already feel where force is being applied to my body via my harness and make an estimate of my likely heading (i.e. if the left shoulder has been whacked with a riser and the right is much looser, guess where I am going). It is here that I make the decision to follow through on the riser grab or just chill out and enjoy the on heading. But I do thoroughly recommend just going for your risers (or toggles ;)) on every jump.

People make the mistake of actually putting their hands behind their heads, closer to the shoulders during deployment. This is where you are likely to grab the risers very close to the three rings. The risers are likely to travel slightly above and behind your head, and that is where you should put your hands. Practice whilst undre canopy, and do some swing throughs on a makeshift suspended harness (just a few ropes from a roof and your rig are sufficient to practice this). The spot is marginally different dependant on gear and person.

"Thanks God for vents!" The canopy stayed pressurized all the time. One can only imagine how this strike would look like without vents. No vents most likely means no writing about your accident by yourself.

This is not necessarily always the case. They do help, but it is also a function of aerfoil design, topographic characteristics of the object you are hitting, prevailing wind conditions, wing loadings, relative angle of object to canopy hitting it (in particular the nose), etc. How your nose is exposed during inflation (i.e. nose pointing down or forward), and how well the front top of the canopy stays pressurised will have a great affect on collapse versus inflation.

i.e. if you are hitting a slightly underhung section of wall with lots of snaggy things on it (trees, outcroppings, etc), there is not much apart for luck that can help you.

There was no time for panic. Mind and body switched to survival mode. I wasn't even shaken, just in pain and high. Everything was in full auto. Which makes it even more important to engrave the right reflexes into your body. Engraving the seemingly looking right, but in real emergency not working reflexes doesn't help.***

YES. OH. YES. YES BABY!!!! ;) Reflexes, practicing, knowing your EP's before you jump. I hereby declare you in charge of BASE safety culture and thinking. You rock (pardon the pun ;)).

***When you face the wall 10ft from you, hands automatically grab the risers where they are. I might be wrong, but now I think hands should be up high waiting for risers. If not perfectly flat, err a little bit on head low side with legs straight. Stop kicking legs before the pull. On low jumps, open pin flap and mud flaps. See if bridle can catch on the bottom of your container.

Work out your riser position via suspended harness and/or whilst under canopy. I would suggest a little further back than what you mentioned. Go head low only when you are in control / experienced. Focus on not snagging your gear and don't bandaid problems. Fix the root cause first. Try not to start kciking your legs - this is about correct body positioning. But for the rest of us not so perfect humans, you are right - try not to kick and thrash during deployment.

Body armor. Need to say more?

PPE is good.

p.s. do as I say, not as I do............... Once you have thought it through......... :$
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I like the look of greeny in the video. It was this shrug and a "shit happens" look.

What a COOL shot,looks like one of mine:PB|

Yuri_BASE
as Yuri already said DONT go stowed whith a 48´

Im not even sure what you want whith a 48 off 450ft(to impact) i know you jump a big canopy so im not the person to judge if you need a 45-46´but as im using a 42´all the way down to 300ft on my 265-266sqft canopies i tend to say that you should have taken a 42´ off that cliff,
IF you want the larger PC go handheld,the BOC aint build in the size as 45 and bigger but to 42 and smaller..

Im sure you tipped your shoulder as you had to pull harder or atleast mentalt wanted to.

others has said what should be said aswell.

good job getting away the way you didB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Vry very impressive ( glad you jump an HDV cam). glad you are alive. But I would second the stowed 48PC - they are HUGE - i have seen a jumper shift the whole container while pulling a stowed 48 out of tight spandex BOC - which on a light grip would mean a possible missed pull. I wouldn't want to be the jumper - but I would love to be holding the camera.

I wouldn't want to be the jumper - but I would love to be holding the camera.

huh?
a mate of mine had a missed pull last summer messing him pretty bad up,im sure the guys who saw it and recorded it wouldnt have minded if they hadnt seen that..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Good job on the getaway. Perhaps someone else has already seen and commented on this but after reviewing the video several times, over and over again, it appears that your body position on exit was in fact, not symmetrical. Almost as soon as you exit, it appears from the video that you begin to go left shoulder low. This would account for the sharp 160ish off heading you experienced. Rule of thumb. Which ever shoulder you have low at pull time will determine the direction of the off heading opening that follows. I believe that your body position and not some random gear problem is to blame.
I'm not trying to flame you or anything, I'm just providing food for thought. As I said before. Good job on the getaway.
Kevin

I wouldn't want to be the jumper - but I would love to be holding the camera.

huh?
a mate of mine had a missed pull last summer messing him pretty bad up,im sure the guys who saw it and recorded it wouldnt have minded if they hadnt seen that..

black humor ... Sometimes you know the person is gonna do something stupid regardless of what you tell them... might as well be there to have a recording just in case... this is totally off-topic of course, and is not a judgemet of what Yuri did - just an explanation of the somewhat insensetive humor.

Why not a full body Armor for the same price??Wink

As stated above, the full suit is likely to stay in the house for all but the really scary jumps. If you have a jacket, you're a lot more likely to actually be wearing it when you smack an object.

It's remarkable what a name change can do to increase one's cachet, veter.

Like everyone else, I'm glad you're okay. Unlike them--because I know who you are--I'm wondering why you continue to make jumps beyond your skill set.

Perhaps we need a base version of bounce bingo.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Yo!

I had a cliff strike last week in Arizona (S******, 450ft).

Equipment used: Apex DP, Flik 322 Vtec (exit weight ~225lbs), 48" ZP PC. Jump: 2s delay stowed. Cliff: 450ft to impact, 600ft

thanks for taking the time to post and turn this into a learning experience.

you made many good choices in you gear and your survival technique,
but
i would strongly recommend that you do not use a 48"pc in a pouch.

if this is the site i think it is, consider either a different pc size if going stowed. i use a 38" pc on my Raven 2 and a 42" pc for my Fox 220 for a 4 second delay.

2.2 seconds is too short of a delay at this site.

wise man wearing some body armor

be safe
keep learning
good luck

kleggo