ClifHuckstable

730 jumps in 2006

Actualy sadly i never meet either of you:| but i will some day:ph34r:

Didnt he got frost bites on his nude jump in the Artic?:ph34r: :D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Ok put me down for 750 ...

Mind you i'll have to start the diet now if i'm to use a 220 ....

Oh wait - there's always BD ... I'll rent it to a First Timer ... :P

Put me down for 797.

If I win, I may just increase my total jumps to over 2!

Cheers!!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

put me down for 512
YEAAAAHHHH PETER WOOOOOHOOOOO 512 JUMPS THIS YEAR ON MY 3X Birthday!!!, WOOOOOOHIOOOOO!

if I win the rig I'll raffle it off for charity, or fly to the usa, pick up the rig, then find a good 100ft bridge to free fall ;)

Manship never sought publicity for the number or type of jumping he was accomplishing. When I suggested we get a news article about his up coming 2000th jump ... he got really mad and said he wanted nothing of that. With Manship it was easy to miss the point of "why" he was jumping and focus on the numbers. I guess he believed that seeking fame for BASE jumping was not in the true spirit of the sport. So when someone asks me my "numbers" I just usually say, "about 30."

Finally, I believe that if you really care about numbers and how you rank in the BASE community you are really missing the point. Don't know if I got that right or not from Manships example.(??)

Missing the point?
Numbers are neato. Competing with your friends for jump numbers is fun. Getting publicity is a means to an end. That end being opportunity. Unless you're independently wealthy publicity gets you free trips to exotic locations like Baffin Island. Watching yourself on TV high fiving your bros and whoo whoooing at the top of your lungs with an Aussie after you just got paid to fly to New Zealand and get transported to a new cliff via helicopter in the daytime doesn't suck either. Now are you going to guess a number or not? If not go complain about those dam attention seeking, number counter media hounds with some of your soul bro, ethically correct, finger pointers somewhere else.
WhoooooooooHoooooooooooo! Looooook At Meeeeeee!

I guess he believed that seeking fame for BASE jumping was not in the true spirit of the sport.

I didn't know Tom Manship very well, but from what I do know I don't think he would ever belief such a thing. Why? Because he was smart and friendly enough to realize there is no one true spirit to the sport. Perhaps publicity didn't jell well with the particular spirit he was looking for in the sport, but he didn't seem the type of guy that would making sweeping generalizations.

We all jump for our own reasons, and some like numbers more than others.

Don't forget that publicity and numbers can be a good thing too, in that it provides inspiration to people. If the US had kept the moon landing a secret or all Olympic sprinters would only run secretely in a hidden basement, we'd still be earthbound and slow.

Anyway, Tom and Miles had more in common than you think. At the edge they probably both jump(ed) for the sheer fun of it all.

Post deleted at request of poster ~TA
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Missing the point?
Numbers are neato. Competing with your friends for jump numbers is fun. Getting publicity is a means to an end. That end being opportunity. Unless you're independently wealthy publicity gets you free trips to exotic locations like Baffin Island. Watching yourself on TV high fiving your bros and whoo whoooing at the top of your lungs with an Aussie after you just got paid to fly to New Zealand and get transported to a new cliff via helicopter in the daytime doesn't suck either. Now are you going to guess a number or not? If not go complain about those dam attention seeking, number counter media hounds with some of your soul bro, ethically correct, finger pointers somewhere else.
WhoooooooooHoooooooooooo! Looooook At Meeeeeee!

I don't think they know who started this thread. I'm gonna go for seven hundred thousand!

I don't think they know who started this thread. I'm gonna go for seven hundred thousand!

now that's funny!

put me down for 420...

Is he going to go for the most in one day record again?

I say 701 since I would like a 701 cc Yamaha Super Jet Stand Up PWC. Man if I was just rich.....

And the Container won't do me much good since I am on my damn AFF jump still... :( Again, if I was rich I could afford more jumps... But I could sell it for beer money or a sky dive or two.
"... and I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it...."

$1, Bob.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

or all Olympic sprinters would only run secretely in a hidden basement

...or all BASE jumpers would live secretly in the Mexican cave :D
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Finally, I believe that if you really care about numbers and how you rank in the BASE community you are really missing the point.

You are definitely not alone in feeling this way. I know numerous jumpers who feel that the numbers game is pointless. Many very experienced jumpers I know have stopped logging altogether because they don't want to get drawn into that kind of thing. Personally, I just stopped numbering the entries in my log book a couple years ago (because I like to have a record of the jumps) after a couple discussions about numbers with some friends.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

put me in with 590...

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"