blair700

Tom Manship

Blair, thank you for posting this when you felt ready...i have no concept of how you feel right now but my thoughts are with you and everyone that was touched by him.

I met Tom when i took Tom Aiello's FJC this past september...we'd just be getting to the park at the bridge to do our first jump of the day and he'd have already done 5, it was amazing.

He was such a nice man. On my 6th BASE off the Perrine the group decided to climb out (Tom always climbed out), I was scared to death but he was so cool and stayed right behind me because I was terrified of falling backwards, I'd never climbed a cliff before and it was scarier than any of the jumps I did that week.

Last week he posted and commented that he was drinking in preparation for jumping all night on New Years Eve, I thought it was hilarious! I started to pm him to tell him that I too was engaged in some pre-drinking activities...but then I didn't send it (I'd been drinking, haha, and didn't know how a drunk pm from someone he'd only met a few times would go over). I wish now I had pressed the reply button.

I went to his web page, and if any of you haven't done so, I encourage you to do the same. In particular read his breakdown of 101 things to do before you die. He did most of the things he wanted to but of the ones he didn't, finding the love of his life is the most poignant.

So Tom, in your honor I will never be afraid to tell someone I care about them, I will never be afraid to drunk pm those that make me laugh (look out ya'll, no apologies).

Only met him a few times but he'd a damn nice guy with a super solid character. He ruled the legal span and will be a greatly missed part of my Twin Falls visits.

BSBD. :(

I would like to thank Tom for stopping me from getting wet, or worse.

My condolences to his family.

Last week he posted and commented that he was drinking in preparation for jumping all night on New Years Eve, I thought it was hilarious!

Amanda pointed this post out to me, his last one on dz.com, and he mentions my "yellar" parachute... made me smile.

In particular read his breakdown of 101 things to do before you die. He did most of the things he wanted to but of the ones he didn't, finding the love of his life is the most poignant.
So Tom, in your honor I will never be afraid to tell someone I care about them, I will never be afraid to drunk pm those that make me laugh (look out ya'll, no apologies).

Good point Theresa... brought a tear. You're right on.

There are many endearing stories about Tom but I like this one: He'd once inherited a lot of money and the first thing he did was tell his third wife to get dressed and pack a bag as he was in the mood to party. When his wife asked how she should dress Tom said, "I don't care, just be outta here before my pizza arrives . . ."

Sweet dreams, Brother!

NickD :)BASE 194

Thanks for posting that, you are right, tell everyone you love, everyday.
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts to Tom's family and friends, the PM's. Please keep the stories, pics and well wishes coming, we will make sure his family sees this.
Tom ALWAYS made everyone smile, I can even muster one now just reading y'alls posts, thank you from all of us here in the Carolinas, but our hearts also go out to all of y'all everywhere that are Tom's friends and family. We all miss him dearly....[:/]
Blair

edited, I just read Tom's last post, he truely was preparing for a New Year's 'tradition'. I talked with him last Wednesday and he was taking a nap in the middle of the day...about the time all the rigs are packed and we've had lunch....don't worry brother, we all started a 'tradtition' together that will always continue. Now instead of just being around during the holidays, you are home always.

I am Tom's nephew and wanted to let all of you know how much my family and I appreciate your kind words on this forum. Tom will be missed by many and all.

A friend of mine and I showed up in Moab for the turkey boogie a few years ago without a clue. We went to Vertigo and asked for directions to anywhere.... Tom happened to be there and after a brief introduction, he said..."Why don't you boys come with me. There's a rock named after a pizza with your name on it"

Tom took us on our first E. My knees were shaking and Tom eventually laughed at me. I can't remember what he said but it cracked me up and I finally went for a phat 3/4 second delay.

About 2 years later I was in Texas and met up with Rodney who graciously hooked me up with the "Farris Wheel" and 2 B jumps. The second jump from the B was A week later. He called up and said to meet him there again. He was up top by the time another friend and I arrived so we found our way in and wouldn't you know it... there was Tom smiling ever so casually.

It was a pretty big open landing zone. Rodney went first and then Tom. Instead of the nice wide open area, he crashed into a bulldozer. Man that was loud!!! He was ok though. He hurt his ankle some but seemed to be fine.

Those are my Tom stories.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, for taking me on my first cliff... and having a couple drinks with me in Moab and Twin and Colorado

R.I.P. Tom

Tim

PS, littlestranger... thanks for the nice reminder. :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

:( It always saddens me to hear of the loss of one of our fellow brethren, especially when it is news of one of the "good guys". I eco much of the sentiment here in that Tom was truly one of the nicest guys you could come across in the sport. Regardless if you met him once or one hundred times, Tom would always remember your name and greet you with a smile and a hand shake. :(

Attached are a few pics from our trip to the Cave a few years back. I have them in high resolution; if any of the family wants a copy, please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected].

Godspeed Tom - you will be missed.

Donk

I also met Tom M during my FJC with Tom A in TF.
On the first day when Tom A taught us to pack our Rig with tons of tools, he pointed over to a guy who was packing 4 Rigs at the same time and told us that this guy probably has more BASE jumps then anyone we have ever met.
Usually when we did our first jump at 9:00 o’clock, Tom already walked out of the canyon the 4th time and always found some time to give us some advice and tips.
He is also the inventor of packing with bungee cords which allows packing a rig in winds and also drinking a beer at the same time…
Tom, I only knew you little but you where one of the most inspiring BASE Jumpers I have met. Fly free
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Thank you, Tom, for your inspiration. I met you briefly during FCJ absolutely amazed by your dedication to jumping at the crack of dawn. The image of the trunk of your vehicle stuffed with 4 packed rigs (already jumped and re-packed by 10 a.m.) is forever etched in my mind.
You will never be forgotten.
Richard

Rodney went first and then Tom

Which was his our standing jump order by the way. His reason for this, especially from a new object, "you go first man. Depending on how your jump goes, I may be climbing back down".

One night we were about 1/2 way up the "wheel" when a car pulls up and parks below. We see two people get out and make a mad dash to the ladder and they start climbing below us. We get off the ladder and onto a resting platform to wait for them. They finally get up to our level and Tom yells "BOO". These kids almost fall off the ladder they were so scared. Turned out to be a couple college kids messing around. Tom makes a friendly deal with them something like, "you don't tell anyone you saw us, and we won't kick your asses...fair enough?". He had a way with words.
Anyway, I jump first as usual, then he. Tom has a nasty what looked like a 270 off heading, we're at 300'. I always argued it was 315'. Tom insisted on 300'. He lands smack in the middle of a group of trees. I run over and there he is suspended in this tree about 15' up. Not a funny situation, but I couldn't keep from laughing. This was his first jump back from the bulldozer landing a couple weeks earlier. Long story short, after about 45 minutes of struggling to get his canopy out, he sends me into town to buy a pruning saw so we could cut some of the limbs to free his lines. It was a mess. The lady at the cash register says "doing some late night pruning sweety?"
I get back out to the site about an hour later and here is Tom all sprawled out on his back with his head on his stash bag(canopy inside), sound asleep.

Yea, the bulldozer landing. Here he is laying in the front end loader, and his Blackjack draped on top of the tractor...he deffinately could hit just about any target he wanted to.

I tell these stories remembering some of the "lighter sides" of our jumps together, and I know he wouldn't mind, but in all seriousness, Tom was a great teacher and was always about making sure the jump could be done.
I had the privilege of learning from Tom Manship, not just about BASE, but living your life to the fullest and having fun.

Rod

Hi Blair,
I'm very sorry to hear this. I had met Tom at Twin and climbed out with him once or twice. He was a nice guy. This is very sad. If possible, I would like to know how did this happened?

regards
Ankur

Thanks for being my hiking buddy 2 years back at the turkey boogie...
You will be missed!
:(
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

Peace, Tom

Will always remember your relaxed, casual and helpful manner on my FJC @ TF. Sep 2003

Oh and telling us to get our lazy arses up the side of the gorge instead of starting late (9am) waiting for the boat service to start!

It certainly led to some of the best jumps of the trip and really bump the numbers up.

Pete Mac

AE and Faspete are crying....our deepest condolenses to family and friends. TOM we met in Twin Falls and in Kjerag, you were super cool, and good friend. It was really nice to jump with you 2 ways and other stuff....i really rally miss you a lot...I´m lost of words now........................................................................................................

Hi Blair,
I'm very sorry to hear this. I had met Tom at Twin and climbed out with him once or twice. He was a nice guy. This is very sad. If possible, I would like to know how did this happened?

regards
Ankur

either pm me or base570, base704 or blair700

May we live long and die out

I'm at a total loss for words.

You were one of the good guys Tom, you'll be missed. :(

BSBD

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I had the privilege of learning from Tom Manship, not just about BASE, but living your life to the fullest and having fun.

Rod,
me too bro, I feel Tom shared this with many folks. Rod, call me anytime, or come visit if you can get away.

Later
Blair

PS I attached a fav pic of mine with Tom, this was last NY (04-05) ......you know experience when you see who has their eyes closed during the pic....yea I saw lots of big black dots for several minutes afterwards.... :P
2nd is of Turkey Day 2 years ago..... good times Rod :)

Thanks for the attitude lessons, Tom. Relax now, the hard part is over.

I remember doing "hi-lows" with tom in texas when Rodney couldnt make it, riding the elevator to altitude, me trying to focus, him talking non stop the whole way up, then accidently leaning against the "stop" button. Thinking the elevator had hit its stop at the top, we took to the ladder to climb the "remaining" 50 feet, only to climb and climb and realize that we werent anywhere near the top of the 2000 footer, and had already sent the elevator down. His comment, "I dont climb. Im going from here"

Then, on landing we go over to the farris wheel and jump it. After landing, a large dually diesel comes roaring over the hill across the field, Tom and I hit the ground hiding in the high grass as this white truck roars across the field on one diagonal and then across on another, finally stopping like 50 feet from us, the son of the owner of the land who has seen us jump silihouetted against the moon in the dark. Tom stands up while Im pretending like I was just crossing the field as a shortcut, and says, "Yah, were just base jumping from the tower, wanna watch??

Direct and to the point, he always knew what he was doing.

Hey Blair,
I can't post.
Will you please post this under my name.

Tom always had the ability to make me laugh at the simplest stuff. His sense of humor was awsome. I have so much respect for him. Tom had a way of making the scariest jumps seem a little less scary. Especially jumping the potato span before it's light enough to see the water. It didn't matter if we were jumping or wearing out "The Outback Steakhouse", Tom always kept everyone entertained.
Tom was one of the nicest people I've ever known and today I got to meet his family and learned that his kindness runs in the family.
Thanks for all of the laughs and all of the wise advice.
I'll miss you buddy, You were one of the "good guys"
Tony Herring BASE 516
a.k.a. Base-Rigger

Tom was one of the nicest people I've ever known and today I got to meet his family and learned that his kindness runs in the family.

I agree, Toms family was extremely kind and gracious to the the jumpers that showed up at the Funeral today. His sister especially went out of her way to make us feel welcomed. A great group of people. Thanks to all the family members. I see where Tom got his kind heart from. It showed from his aunts down to his nephews, and everyone in between. They have my deepest condolences and sympathies and my upmost respect.
Sincerely
Mike Bartlett

May we live long and die out

My condolences to Tom's family and loved ones.

I met Tom at the Potato Bridge in Oct 03. He has a cameo on my FJC video that never fails to make me smile. From a floater exit, he looks at the camera and asks "Do you want a count?" Upon getting an affirmative answer, Tom responds, "Okay, ... one" and jumps.

Blue skies,

Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I hope I'm not out of place here. . . .

I never got the chance to meet Tom. But I must admit that after reading all the posts, I wish I had.

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but normally when I see a thread about someone dying, I usually glance through it without responding. But after reading all the touching posts from Tom's friends, I have been very mindful about checking back every few hours to read the latest post to this thread. I think all of the wonderful comments and stories are a real testament to Tom's character. It's been nice to read and learn about his life, and his contributions to other people's lives.

If life could be summarized as a game, seems Tom was certainly a winner many times over.

I'm really sorry for everyone's loss. [:/]

Many condolences to the family.

J.P.