katzurki

Zak Harness

Is there anything outstanding about the (French) Zak harness that I should know? What's good and what's bad about it?

Well, first let me start by saying that I do not jump a Zak container but a Perigee pro. So this is from what I have seen on friend's container and from talking with Jean-No, the maker of the container.
One of the main feature of this container is that it's a super comfortable harness to wear. I only made one jump with this container and the first thing that struck me, is how it fit my body. There is no "hard" parts on the container. So i was a bit scared because it felt like I had no harness on. Personally, I like to feel like I am "harnessed" into something. Everything is extremely flexible on this container and there is not as much stifening material as on other container on flaps and such. It has a bit of a "rag" (not in a bad way) feeling to it compare to the perigee pro.

Another great feature is that you can now order them with no hardware ( direct risers). So this basically leaves only fabric/straps on your shoulders. No more three rings or L bars. Which also in turn brings the container to be certainly the lightest container out there.
The container has dynamic corners and the pins protection design is equivalent to the perigee but maybe not as bombproof as on the gargoyle.

So all in all, I would say that it's an excellent container for all the practical reasons/aspects.

The only downside in my opinion is that they do not always look really sexy once all packed up. But that could certainly be remedied with packing techniques. But nonetheless some containers out there have a better "finished", "sexy" look in my opinion.
I am personally thinking about getting one for a second container, because it's a very good container and the manufacturer is located nearby.
If you are thinking about getting one, I am sure you will be happy with it. Jean-No has, just as Marty from Asylum design, EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE! (not that the other manufacturer don't, i just never dealt with them yet).

Hope this helps.

hi there...

Well, i got the latest version of the Zak (www.adrenalinbase.com), delivered in october. Got the simplest and lightest version, i.e. absolutely no options, no L-bar or hip rings. just extra pockets on the legs.

here's my beginner's review...

- product - highly well finished, very good materials used - they will resist, great riser covering system, dynamic corners of course and all the know-how of Jean-No's for ergonomy, and aerodynamic. really nicely done. fits perfectly too, and is most comfortable to move around in.

- customer service - more than perfect, professional advice and forthcoming. and great instructions to use.

- price - great pack : Zak + Troll 245dw + 2 Pc's + Packing video + transport bag + clamps + loads_of_stuff for 2'375USD (actually, i got it at just 2'000USD because living in switzerland allowed me to buy it VAT-free)

- shipping - got it straight from adrenalinbase, checked, mounted and packed. Got it 2 months after ordering, that's because there was the canopy too, and because there were holidays in between. Fits perfectly, got the colours i chose and not problem what-so-ever.

- aftersales - always been answering the phone and the mail, so i'd say good ;)

All in all, i'd like to thank the friends around here who unanimousely pointed me towards the adrenalinbase pack, it's great.
d.
no comparaison whatsoever with any other manufacturer is being made in this review

Another great feature is that you can now order them with no hardware ( direct risers). So this basically leaves only fabric/straps on your shoulders. No more three rings or L bars. Which also in turn brings the container to be certainly the lightest container out there.

The WS-Xtreme from Morpheus is also available in this configuration. I think that the Gargoyle might be as well, but I'm not sure.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If you are thinking about getting one, I am sure you will be happy with it.

Excellent, thanks! Just the kind of review I was hoping to get.

I've already bought one (I was fishing for a canopy of suitable size and bought whatever container came with it - and boy, was it a sweet steal deal, thanks Stane!!!), so I am sort of wondering what I ended up with :) I had no doubt it's a good rig, but an extra bit of reassurance never hurts.

The thing that rather worries me is not being able to cutaway in case of a tree/water landing or the need for a quick getaway.

Dunno, ask him. Snekor is more popular here at South, so JFK is only Zak owner I know. I think he is quite happy with it.

Fido

Direct riser attachments should only be jumped if you have a large hook knife ready to use.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I have ~45-50 jumps on mine now, it's very light-weight and super-comfortable. I am even able to get it to look good packed (got lots of tips from Adrian). It'll serve you as well as any other rig from a renowned manufacturer. You are in Austria, so you are subject to EU VAT if you buy new -- that might be the only downside of the Zak for you.

If you are european, it's a VERY good point to get european equipement.
to buy an equipment without VAT, you have to pick it up in the USA (in case of shipping, you will pay),if you have to sent it back, you will pay the VAT and more.... then in case of big repair or anything, it's much easier to deal with european manufacturer (no custom and very cheap shipping).
As Troll canopy is include in package, you can get a full european equipment, all from very good quality.
all these are certificated in Germany.
it's short delivery time and excellent service. really, don't need to order an "american" rig, we have the same just here.

I will try and help anyone avoid this VAT if they order any gear. I hate taxes, and I really hate it if the government makes a cut on gear they wont let me use in my (read: our) national parks.

If you are european, it's a VERY good point to get european equipement.
to buy an equipment without VAT, you have to pick it up in the USA

or in Switzerland :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM