outrager

BASE game

One thing I was wondering, will you have to deal with things like an off heading opening on a bad jump, or a PC hesitation or the like, or making jumps with other people, real (maybe through online... I'm not sure whether someone mentioned that already) or computerized jumpers. And rarely one of these computer jumpers could do something unexpected or have a bad exit etc that you might or might not have to deal with on your jump. You could do wingsuits too, if it's including skydiving, the different disciplines on that.

I'd be happy to buy any game with skydiving or BASE in for a bit of a laugh, maybe you don't have the funding or resources for all of these options, just few ideas that could be really cool.

Hi!

Can anybody help us with equipment simulation?

We have some desing ideas, but for final implementation we need to check languange and, probably to wide range of equipment to simulate.

Equipment screen scheme is here:

http://www.d3company.com/img/equipment.png

Tell us, if you have the suggestions about game options.

Just a few things at first glance:

Deployment - By 'in pocket' I believe you are referring to what we call 'stowed'

Brakes Closing - Are you referring to the brake setting depth? i.e. close to the stall point (deep), etc.

Line Length - I'm pretty sure that this is rarely modified. It is a characteristic that depends on the canopy model, so I don't think that this option would be necessary.

That's all that I noticed that I want to comment on with my limited experience (for fear of being wrong and leading you astray). I really do like the attention to detail... for example the fact that you are taking wing loading into account, you can put smoke cans on your ankle, change your helmet, armor, packing methods and brake settings.

Somebody more experienced would probably be able to help you out with the specific makes/models of gear, and help you tune the flight characteristics of your in-game canopies to the real ones.

Keep up the great work! I can't wait to buy it :)
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Line Length - I'm pretty sure that this is rarely modified.

Well, at least in my case, and others that I've seen, this is modified heavily.

By this I mean brake lines, not the others. When a canopy comes out of the factory it will have a brake line length that is not optimal for the user (unless they're identical in frame to the test user).

I'm short (5'8") and medium framed and I always get my best flare stroke with my toggles at least 6 inches higher than where the factory toggle settings are placed.

Brake settings? Well we all know that you need to reset them to fit your particular wingloading/stallpoint.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Good point, I should probably clarify that I was speaking of the lines in general, as the option on the equipment screen was measured in feet.

If it is brake line length that they are referring to, I would suggest using a slider system, like:

Brake Line Length: short -----------|---- long
Deep Brake Setting: deep ---|----------- shallow

My .02

edit: Maybe even have the character's arm length affect this as well... For example, you could create a tall, lanky character and name him Brett, then have him jump somebody else's gear, we'll call him Tom (who has shorter arms), and see what happens if Brett doesn't adjust it? (Make sure you select 'butt pad' in the 'armor' section for these jumps, please)

Well, i think i can formulate the requirements for equimpent options now.

The option should be important in each jump, like pilot chute size or its deployment - for each jump you will select different settings depending on supposed delay of jump.

Brake line length in this case is not necessary, bacause we will use equipment options for personal game account.

The disputable options is length of pilot chute line. If we jump short delay and then a winged jump - should we vary this option?

Another disputable question is deep brake setting. In fact, we will make airfield and skydiving rigs. We can to make internal presets for skydiving rig (shallow setting?) and for BASE rig (deep setting?), or we can to make this option tuneable.

Lastly, we will use variations of some custom options - Tail gate, WLO toggles and Pin toggles. Inform us if we are forget of something :)

Oh, i forget about pilot chute deployment. It would be wonderfult if you will enumerate all avaiable variations:
- in hand
- stowed
- ?

In hand. Stowed. Pilot chute assist. Static line with pilotchute backup.

One other thing...the wing loading for the jumper pictured is way off. For the settings shown on the screen, the wing loading should come out at 180/220 = 0,8181.

Most BASE jumpers choose a wingloading between 0,6 and 0,7. However, there are jumpers who jump with higher and lower wingloadings as well.

One other thing...the wing loading for the jumper pictured is way off. For the settings shown on the screen, the wing loading should come out at 180/220 = 0,8181.

Most BASE jumpers choose a wingloading between 0,6 and 0,7. However, there are jumpers who jump with higher and lower wingloadings as well.

Yeah, William! But it is just a draft scheme :)

Oh, i forget about pilot chute deployment.

fuel to the fire - see the attachment

disclaimer - the chart is based on using the correct set-up for the deployment type chosen

FreeFall Assist?

I thought that was more like a "dry-humor" sort of deployment rather than a real one!
Memento Audere Semper

No dude, it’s an entirely legitimate step in the process of learning to jump and freefall low objects.

Step 1: Static line or PCA :D - if you are comfortable to have less canopy time, be open lower, have more variation in both, greater chance of an offheading and a risk of pilot chute hesitation, go to the next step.

Step 2: Freefall Assist B| - if you are comfortable to have less canopy time, be open lower, have more variation in both, greater chance of an offheading and a higher risk of pilot chute hesitation, go to the next step.

Step 3: Handheld Freefall :o - if you are comfortable to have less canopy time, be open lower, have more variation in both, greater chance of an offheading and a higher risk of pilot chute hesitation, go to the next step.

Step 4: Stowed Freefall :o:S:o - scrutinize your reasoning well if you get to this step, the longer delay you take the less variation you can expect in canopy time, opening height, heading performance and pilot chute hesitation – BUT the smaller the window of opportunity becomes for PC location, pitch, canopy opening, canopy flight and landing. Freefall low enough and the normal variation in these processes can easily put you outside those windows of opportunity, which means if you keep doing this it’s really just a matter of time.

It nicely gives you a taste of what to expect going handheld with less risk.

AND it’s fun surprise for your friends on the right jumps!

And then there’s the times when your friends are too sketched by the height to go stowed, too sketched by the exit to go handheld, too sketched by the dish 60ft below to go PCA….

I wasn’t about to climb down 60ft and PCA him from the dish platform, so we agreed on a Freefall Assist and it all worked out nicely. I won’t name any names, but I will say that I saw him giving ‘the signal’ and screaming something that sounded like ‘derka derka’…..

come to think of it, I do recall laughing at him the whole way... :P

The disputable options is length of pilot chute line. If we jump short delay and then a winged jump - should we vary this option?

No. Length of bridle (that's the line that connects the PC to the canopy) varies only very occasionally (usually for wingsuit flights).

Size of PC varies quite a bit.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Well, it is good as is, but as declarative. But we assume to make BIG sites mainly. At least for the first time.

Low jumps it is more extreme professionalism rather than extreme sport :)

Sorry Tom.... is "quite a bit" equal to frequently or equal to rare? [:/] can't guess

Sorry Tom.... is "quite a bit" equal to frequently or equal to rare? [:/] can't guess

Frequently.

Size of pilot chute varies frequently.

See attached chart.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Frequently.

Size of pilot chute varies frequently.

See attached chart.

Thanks!

Tell us, if you have the suggestions about game options.
---------------------------------------------------------

I dnt know if its been discued but maybe making like a points system for the game, for distance, technical, accuracy ect.. an arcade mode and then maybe like a carrer mode going all round the world to different locations competing against different people. I think otherwise the game mite get quite boring, personally i think it should be like Sxx tricky the snowboarding game, trying to appeal to a bigger audiance. Giving the game a bit more depth.

Just my thoughts
Blues

a hidden hot coffee mod will get it a $hitload of publicity

and there is no such thing as bad publicity, people will want to play it more out of curiosity.

maybe you need some violence, I guess look at movies with base/skydiving, most have some action/violence in them.

maybe you can be a drug runner/dealer.
or maybe ya just break into buildings and shit to jump from, and if ya get caught ya pull out a gun and start capping security lol.

I think you need some kind of scoreing for tricks, and also points for low deployment

a hidden hot coffee mod will get it a $hitload of publicity. and there is no such thing as bad publicity, people will want to play it more out of curiosity.

Actually there is (just look at BASE).

The problem with games is that it's not about how many people play your game, it's how many people have actually paid money for the game they're playing. Piracy is still a big issue.

If a hot coffee mod (and the resulting publicity) causes 'ethically correct/retarded' Wal Mart to drop the product of the shelves, you just lost fifty percent of your revenue.

Actually there is (just look at BASE).

The problem with games is that it's not about how many people play your game, it's how many people have actually paid money for the game they're playing. Piracy is still a big issue.

If a hot coffee mod (and the resulting publicity) causes 'ethically correct/retarded' Wal Mart to drop the product of the shelves, you just lost fifty percent of your revenue.

But what if the 50% lost revenue isnt really lost as ya get more sales due to a 500% increase in ya marketing via a 0 investment to get that extra 500% marketing lol

:)

I guess the real question is, is it a sport game only or will there be cops and vioence and other things

Okee, just some ideas:

Multiplayer PLEAAASEEEE
A good multiplayer feature can make a game so much more valuable to play.

I can so see myself doing nice 3 ways & competing with my friends on bad weather days :ph34r:

Oh and yeah, backtracking & being able to make docks is what I would like to see. :)

What about jumping with smoke?

Or bonus points if you swoop the mountain in tracking, or what about extra bonus points if you swoop the mountain with a barrelroll?

A scoring system similar to Tony Hawk Pro skater, where you can connect your tricks to get combo multiplier points.

Land on driving trucks.

Being able to cut away above the water, and do another flip.

This game needs to be way more than just a base simulator IMO.

Looking forward to play it in any form, though!