andreasw

Swiss-valley

How is the Swiss-valley at the beginning of mars? Is it hard to reach exitpoints due to snow and ice? I have been there before.
Any tips? thanks/Andreas

It could be pretty tricky to reach the exit points depending how bad the winter is... As of right now, I can tell you there is quite a bit of snow and it's flipping freezing.
Best tip I have for you is to get yourself some small crampons ( the ones you can tie on to your shoes and that are tiny enough to throw in your pocket). I guarantee those will be your best friends. Those aproach walks can be pretty tricky/dangerous during this time of year.

Best tip I have for you is to get yourself some small crampons ( the ones you can tie on to your shoes and that are tiny enough to throw in your pocket). I guarantee those will be your best friends. Those aproach walks can be pretty tricky/dangerous during this time of year.

I agree with you that the walks can be dangerous. My personal record for the 'longest' walk was 3 hours, for which I normally take 30-40 minutes. It was a step-by-step process due to the ice.

Regarding the crampons: There were people with crampons on their heels and others on the toe-side of the foot and either way it didn't look that they were any better off than the people (like myself) without them. I must admit that last winter was pretty extreme though. I personally think that a good pair of climbing/hiking boots, lots of caution and common sense (if it doesn't look right, don't do it!) are more important. Karabiners (1 per person should do) come in handy too...

If you plan to go to the valley around this time of the year you might want to bring your board as well B|

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

Is American Alpine Club membership sufficient rescue insurance for jumping in the Swiss Valley ? (Sorry for the slight off topic)

I was jumping there the last week of March '04 and the snow was still there and well. I walked to the top of the waterfall from the Horner on the trail and it was still pretty bad. The exit points aren't really that bad though especially the ones with trees on them. If the weather warmed a little then you will have to watch the mud and stuff up there too.

As for the insurance I don't really know if that will cover but the Regina Insurance is only 30 Franc/year. You would not believe (or maybe you can) how much it will cost you without.

If the weather warmed a little

Don't expect the weather to warm till after March or so...

www.vandrunen.ch

As for the insurance I don't really know if that will cover but the Regina Insurance is only 30 Franc/year. You would not believe (or maybe you can) how much it will cost you without.

It's not the "Regina insurance" but the "Rega insurance" :D... or also called "air glacier"...

If you plan on base jumping in Switzerland I would say it's a mendatory insurance to have. It costs only about 25 USD for a whole year, it takes about 5 minutes to fill the form and you can get it right at the air glacier helipad located in the middle of the valley !!! Rescues made by air glacier cost a crap load because they are highly trained mountain rescuers often operating with helicopters.

Believe me, you do not want to have to pay for that bill if you don't have the insurance.

the valley is so very beautiful when it is white with snow! we've been there last winter and yes the hike can be pretty tricky....just be very careful.. I feel that base is about falling when you want to! :P

Hey Doc,

Alles goed man? Long time no speak...

Kom je nog een keer langs? En uh, we hebben je maten nog voor een FreeDesigns pants ;)

gr, Joris.

www.vandrunen.ch

Hey Doc, nice photos. ;)

Has the lump on yer heed from Norway gone down?
Are you jumping at all over new year?

Mike

It's not the "Regina insurance" but the "Rega insurance" :D... or also called "air glacier"...

Believe me, you do not want to have to pay for that bill if you don't have the insurance.

Yeah Rega, what he said.

Hey Mikey,

Hows you? Where you at?

How was Venezuela?

J.

www.vandrunen.ch