base570

How many jumps did it take for you to accumulate 100 objects?

hey mr. 570,

I am not trying to be negative here, but there just isn't that many posters that have over 100 objects to make this poll really worthwhile - why not do something a bit differnt :

a poll for people with more than x ( say 20 ) jumps :

how jumps to object ratio

have a few numbers, like 5:1 4:1 1:1, etc - that will give a good idea as well. Though I do realize that the ratio really slopes up as the jump numbers go up, since there's only so many objects one can open/jump/burn in their weekend driving vicinity :)

cya

OK, you may be right. There might be 20 or so people in this forum that have 100 objects or more.

You're correct about only having so many objects in the general vicinty of jumpers but that just gives you more reason to travel:)
I guess I really like that aspect of BASE.... finding and jumping new shit. Traveling, Getting new visuals, meeting new people, overcoming a new challenge.
Actually 100 objects is not that many if you think about ALL of the sites that are already established across the globe. I'd be willing to bet that there have been 5000 different sites jumped with about 1 million to go!!
Peace,
Jason

I voted 901-1000, even though I do not have 100 objects yet, I have 286 jumps off 29 objects, so just under 10 : 1, which extrapolates to 901-1000 for 100 objects if I keep the current ratio.

This is likely an overestimation of the number of jumps it will take me, as I have recently done a LOT of jumps from one object on a single trip and I will probably travel a bit next year and spread the love around.

Exactly 565 jumps. You totally beat me by 10 jumps Jason. Shit.

This may be true, but I'm sure you got paid more than me for doing those jumps[:/]

Wanna race to 200?
Jason

why stop at 100? Why not 200 objects or 1000 objects? ;)

I don't have 100 objects but I have jumped a significant fraction of every object in my object-filled area. And most of these were firsts...
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I will let you know when I get there. Can I count that 270' A? Or do I need to come down there and jump it with a "functioning" parachute? By the way, we did that 160' S a few weeks ago, sick video!
Congrats on 100 objects.

Rock On, Rock On SATAN!

Crater Nate

Yea, totally paid more. Gotten filthy stinkin rich off it actually. You should see my 4th base money investment property, huge. What's even better is all the great friends and amazing amount of respect I get from base jumpers now. Its good to be the king.
It was a pleasure for you to meet me.

My idea is that a 1 in 3 object to jump ratio is good.

With the access in the USA of a legal span more and more people are getting high jump numbers without a decent jump to object ratio, but feel that jump numbers are a guage of experience.

In other places in the world where a legal object is not accessable, there are many people with low jump numbers who are much more experienced that alot of people who click up numbers through a "legal bridge jump".

Note: Yes RL, I am knocking them! :P

Places where there is fuck all really to jump that is easy, people are still knocking up decent object to jump number ratios (much respest to the London boys on this one), and although they could be deemed "lucky" in some aspects, the experience they gain is much more than just decent "currency".

Call me a cunt, but this is what i believe....

So how many did it take you??

I voted that I thought I would never get there and realistically I doubt I ever will get 100 different objects. For sure I agree that those people who have more different object sites have built a broader experience than those who have just pounded out a bunch of jumps at only a few sites. But can we agree that BASE means different things to different people? For some, BASE is a passionate lifestyle where they travel the country side looking for the next site to jump. For others BASE is a way to enhance one's life and pursue it at their leasure. As long as someone stays reasonably current (both in jumping as well as in gear knowledge) and follows the ethics of the sport, what's so wrong with pursuing the sport on one's own personal pace and comfort levels?

I've only got 10 object sites (1 B, 2 As, 2 Ss and 5 Es) in 76 jumps (50 some odd of those jumps are at you guessed ... Potatoville ... and my other span wasn't in WV) and as long as I stay healthy, I see the potential of adding another 25+ maybe more sites to this number. But BASE is not my passion. I enjoy it otherwise I wouldn't be here. But it doesn't define who I am. I pursue BASE for my own reasons. Not to make a name for myself nor as a way of notching that next mark on my head board. Power to those who can concured many sites and for sure they possess more experience than the rest of us. But BASE means different things to different people.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Call me a cunt, but this is what i believe....

cunt (since you insist)... :P

[ironic tone directed strictly at Mac]you UK basejumpers are so HARD, I can only hope that I will man up someday and be as HARD[/ironic tone directed strictly at Mac]

seriously guy, there is logic to your reasoning, but you are taking it to an extreme where it does not apply

if I only ever did a maximum of 3 jumps from an object, I would likely still only have 29 objects, only I'd have just 87 jumps

would that make me more experienced than I am now, with 286 jumps off those 29 objects?

no, it would not and if you make the opportunity to do a large number of jumps from an easy object, you can learn a lot of things much faster, as you are not holding back as much to keep a comparable margin of safety, like you would on objects you do not know well, or on more advanced objects...

I'd be interested to know incident/injury statistics as related to jumps:objects ratio.

seriously guy, there is logic to your reasoning, but you are taking it to an extreme where it does not apply

if I only ever did a maximum of 3 jumps from an object, I would likely still only have 29 objects, only I'd have just 87 jumps

would that make me more experienced than I am now, with 286 jumps off those 29 objects?

No, but what 813 means is that if you have 200 jumps in total and did them from 50 objects, you have more experience then you did 200 jumps from 25 objects.

It is funny to read so many times that Americans see European jumpers as hard.

Hard in what way?

Very often, European jumpers tend to jump more difficult and more dangerous objects at a lower jump number then Americans. This gives them the reputation of being hard.
Going stowed from sub 100 meter buildings in cities is pretty much considered 'normal' here, in the US it is considered crazy...
Yeah, some even jump indoor in churches...

My jump to object ratio is probably running around 7 or 8 to 1.

I'm still looking for the folks who marked "More than 200 objects jumped" the last time we polled that, if anyone knows them.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My jump to object ratio is probably running around 7 or 8 to 1.

Tom,
how would your jump / object ratio be if you would exclude jumps from your local span?
Maybe the US jumpers can add how many percent of their jumps were made from that bridge. I think that the jump / object ratio will look very different then.

My guess would be that if Tom removed all jumps from the Perrine, he would still have well over a thousand jumps.

If he removed the Perrine from his list of objects jumped, he'd still have over 200 objects.

Tom is very well traveled and has jumped stuff I dream about. He might not be the best example of a typical BASE jumper.;)

Tom,
how would your jump / object ratio be if you would exclude jumps from your local span?

It would still not get down to the 3.5 to 1 that DantheMan has. My early jumping career included a lot of jumps off 4 or 5 different (but not entirely legal) sites in Northern California.

Maybe the US jumpers can add how many percent of their jumps were made from that bridge. I think that the jump / object ratio will look very different then.

I honestly think that the total number of objects is probably a better approximation for experience than either total number of jumps or jump/object ratio. The "value" of additional experience jumping an object the 2nd time drops a fair bit, I think.

In all honesty, I think that total number of objects opened is probably the best indicator of true, well rounded experience. I've been to a lot of sites where you just follow some local up, stand where he says to, and hop off when he says "go." The experience value is still there, but is nothing like the value of scoping and opening an entirely new object (in which category I'm guessing DantheMan is also doing pretty well--probably better than in total number of objects jumped). Maybe it's time for yet another poll on "how many objects have you opened?"
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

you UK basejumpers are so HARD, I can only hope that I will man up someday and be as HARD

any time you like seppo...we see it all the time...lots of "experienced jumpers" come to party then when the arsehole starts puckering and the darkness starts to wrap around they have something better to do like shave the curtains or polish their trousers...its cool we have no problem with it...if youre scared just say so...dont come to the UK giving it large then leave your rig at home...

813 has a point...as do you...dont slag us off for being hard until you come and play here...then when youre 215 feet up landing in a tennis court at 3am you too can join the hard club...until then save your ramblings for labour day at perrine or your 2000 foot As with lifts...sorry elevators...i do wish i spoke american..

anyway im off to pack...remember its DZ.com not DZ.us

laters

No, but what 813 means is that if you have 200 jumps in total and did them from 50 objects, you have more experience then you did 200 jumps from 25 objects.

It is funny to read so many times that Americans see European jumpers as hard.

are you sure? I refer to this bit:

there are many people with low jump numbers who are much more experienced that alot of people who click up numbers through a "legal bridge jump".

he doesn't mean someone with the same jump numbers but different numbers of objects, he means a person with less jumps, but a lower jump:object ratio

also, I am not American and I certainly don't think all European jumpers are 'hard'... :o

I also don't think American jumpers in general are as 'soft' as seen by some people from across the pond.

OK, I've fixed my post, as apparently even for the brits it was hard to see the irony directed at Mac's 3:1 ratio attitude.

dont come to the UK giving it large then leave your rig at home...

dude, I'm there with both my rigs, wouldn't have it any other way ;)

dont slag us off for being hard until you come and play here

like I said, I fixed my post, I wasn't slagging off the UK jumpers, just taking the piss out of Mac's blighty supremacist posts... :)

then when youre 215 feet up landing in a tennis court at 3am you too can join the hard club...

awesome, an invite to my UK B, thanks dude!
looking forward to it!

until then save your ramblings for labour day at perrine or your 2000 foot As with lifts...sorry elevators...i do wish i spoke american..

never been at the perrine for labour day

no jump higher than 876ft

never rode an elevator up any object

it did take me some effort to learn to communicate clearly in the US, especially after being warped by living in Essex for 3 years... :S

remember its DZ.com not DZ.us

I'll try, shouldn't be too hard, as I'm a South African living in Canada, I'm hoping that might help give me a wider perspective...

PS - I'm not claiming to be experienced here. I just like jumping most objects more than 3 times...

well, I best go start putting more clothes on so I can go jump, because that's what we soft Americans do in the winter, go to Canada to jump in an effort to harden up... :P

anyway im off to pack...remember its DZ.com not DZ.us

I admit I laughed out loud here.

Why is it that so many people think this is a US-centric forum?

What does 980 have in common with DZ.com?

They are both South African, and both "live" in Canada (DZ.com is hosted in Canada and owned by a South African).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Why is it that so many people think this is a US-centric forum?

In all honesty? Because it is. 9 out of every 10 posts I can just smell the red, white and blue (and I aint talking about holland or france)