dantheman

me, me, me, me, me...

The more basejumpers i meet and the more i read of what they have to say on their websites, the more obvious it is to me that they are a bunch of selfish, self righteous, opinionated, arrogant, adrenaline junkies, who use their websites purely as vehicles to advertise the fact that they jump off of 'fixed objects.' I've jumped this and i've jumped that, i've jumped here and i've jumped there etc.etc.
But, i don't claim to be any different, so here goes.
Last sunday/monday i did my 346th basejump.(also did 345 and 347, but 346 is the subject of this post.) In the great scheme of things, not an earth shattering event; maybe if this was 1985 rather than 2005 i would be considered a 'base god,' but nowadays with jumpers owning multiple rigs, being almost full time jumpers and with more and more legal events around the world annually, the number of jumpers breaking the 1000 jump barrier seems to be increasing exponentially.
So what's this post all about i hear you ask- well i'll tell you; jump 346 was my 100th object, again not that remarkable but for a part timer, not too bad an achievement.
The jump itself was quite straightforward, a 400 ft crane, but getting to the exit point was a mission-24 hour security, getting into the site, accessing the building, getting up inside the building then transfering across to the crane, then landing in the road- but 'went the day(night)well.'
Big thanks to 'the hippo' for keeping me company on this(and many other)soirees, and for keeping me entertained with his altercation with a lampost (silly place to put it anyway, right there on the pavement next to the road...)
Did i forget to mention that basejumpers are also kind, considerate, generous, modest, good looking, sexy, blah blah blah...
Spread the love.
Dan-the-Man.

PS.
me, me, me, me, me, it's all about me...

Did i forget to mention that basejumpers are also kind, considerate, generous, modest, good looking, sexy, blah blah blah...

I know, thank you :)

100 objects, over 300 jumps....F___ing CONGRATS DUDE!!! You SHOULD be proud! Of course, as evident in your post, its not quantity but quality that counts...IMHO.
Later

Ah, thanks for the summary! Hey congrats dantheman. Thats pretty radical.

Well done Dan.:)
Here's to next 347 jumps.

PS Going away for xmas?
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

PS Going away for xmas?

No, I think he managed to sweet talk his way out of it in the end:P

but nowadays with jumpers owning multiple rigs, being almost full time jumpers and with more and more legal events around the world annually, the number of jumpers breaking the 1000 jump barrier seems to be increasing exponentially.
So what's this post all about i hear you ask- well i'll tell you; jump 346 was my 100th object

Congratulations Dan...that's a big word for you! :-P Giving up now?

Love your work.

I said, NICE ONE BRUVVA!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Congrats Dan,
that is a great acomplishment 100 objects in 346 jumpsB|B|. I just did my 100th object, but it took me 555 jumps to get it. Just wondering how many of those objects you opened yourself? I'm at 38 maybe 39 tomorrow ;)

nice work... where's your website???:P

Jason

Nice Work, Dan
For Sure, 100 Different objects is Way Much harder to get. Most times.
Than to get to 1000 BASE Jumps.

Me Me Me enough about me what about you what do you think about me
15 years in sport 49 objects+ Moab (that I can remember)
arested 3 times 29 days in jail
Go forth now, to the promised lands, and swear much unto each other, with mighty profanity and many personal attacks. T.A.

Congratulations!

It took me significantly more jumps to hit 100 objects. I think I was right around 500 jumps at the time.

Reading your post and Jason's makes me wonder how many jumps it takes folks, on average, to hit 100 objects. I'd guess that you are ahead of the average by a noticeable margin, but I've got no real data to support that.

Nice job.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sup.

1. Seems to me a LOT of Basejumpers are into it for the glory and the praise of others (well maybe that's not their primary objective as groundrush is kinda neat as well or so I've been told). I believe the words on pilotdave's website "if it's not on camera it didn't happen" are a telltale sign of what the current generation (I know I can't use that word-group as I'm not even part of that one but fuggit) get their kick out.

2. Fuck sake I have gremlin in my brain and forgot about my second point. Give me some time...
Right... anyone ever think of just stepping up to the owner of a building, the chief construction worker and saying: "Sup. My name is John Doe. Pleasure to meet you. Say...I'm a basejumper and I do this and such. Would you mind if I jump off of that crane of yours." (it's more likely to work with people living in a building as construction workers can get fired and in your country sued) Or am I being very stupid and naive???

I believe the words on pilotdave's website "if it's not on camera it didn't happen" are a telltale sign of what the current generation (I know I can't use that word-group as I'm not even part of that one but fuggit) get their kick out.

Don't think the older generation didn't bask in the glory. Remember that Carl Boenish didn't even jump himself when he first ascended that big cliff in California; he was too busy filming others.

anyone ever think of just stepping up to the owner of a building and saying: "Would you mind if I jump off of that crane of yours."

There are plenty of people that jump of other people's balconies after asking permission. There are also a few who have jumped cranes with permission. One particular case in Atlanta comes to mind...

The more basejumpers i meet and the more i read of what they have to say on their websites, the more obvious it is to me that they are a bunch of selfish, self righteous, opinionated, arrogant, adrenaline junkies, who use their websites purely as vehicles to advertise the fact that they jump off of 'fixed objects.' I've jumped this and i've jumped that, i've jumped here and i've jumped there etc.etc.

So true, so true...

Unfortunately it's not helping with the ladies. It's great for job searching though. Apparently people think BASE jumpers have qualities that are cross over into other areas of life;

Like temporary insanity... :D:$

Congratulations!

It took me significantly more jumps to hit 100 objects. I think I was right around 500 jumps at the time.

Reading your post and Jason's makes me wonder how many jumps it takes folks, on average, to hit 100 objects. I'd guess that you are ahead of the average by a noticeable margin, but I've got no real data to support that.

Nice job.

Maybe we should poll it??
Jason

anyone ever think of just stepping up to the owner of a building, the chief construction worker [...]

I've probably posted this one already.. Ah well, here goes.

My brother and I tried that with a road crew working on a bridge. Our side of the conversation went something like this: "Hi there. My brother and I are BASE jumpers, and we'd like to jump from this bridge. We're wondering how we can best do that without getting in your way." His look very clearly asked what we'd been smoking. "You can't," he says.

Anyway, we asked how long he'd be there, he said a few hours, so we picnicked at the bottom of the bridge. Couple of hours later, my wife was up talking with the bridge crew, telling them all about how we aren't just a couple of yahoos, etc.. The foreman says, "They're going to jump as soon as we leave, aren't they?" She says, "Yep". He waves us up top and asks if it's okay if he takes pictures. Sure.

We had a road crew holding traffic on both sides for us on that jump while the foreman and another guy took pictures. I'll never forget it. I'm pretty sure he won't, either.

Hey, congrats to dantheman on 100 objects. Very cool.

Well done mate, they are some impressive numbers.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Well done mate
You have too much mony to travel for:P
I´ll add your "new objects" list a few #´s next time you drop by.

Oh and bring the hippo:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

There are always going to be some people that want the spotlight.:P

.-|-.Kaint.-|-.

Nice work Dan.

Do you get bored with same object once you've worked out how to jump it already? ;)

Congrats dick head. I snagged that lampost so that YOU didn't have to, buddy.

That's 2 objects for every year you've been alive then.

ian

That's 2 objects for every year you've been alive then.

bwaahaha nice one:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Congrats, but we both know if it wasn't for Kole you wouldn't have jumped half those objects...

Will

Not sure how many objects opened, Neil and i were on a mission for a while and did quite a few; done a few with the 'hippo' as well now-i'll go thru log book and try to work it out(then i'll double it...)Maybe opened 2 sunday/monday?
Arrested-2
Busted by police but let off-2
Quizzed by police but blagged it-several
Nights in jail-1
Of those 347 jumps, 114 has been off my local object. No i never get bored basejumping even if i've done that object many times, there are always new things to try; but i love the buzz of a new object, especially going into to it completely cold. For me Buildings at night get me really juiced up!!
It's true that if it wasn't for Koleshaker i wouldn't have done as much , but, i'm sure he would be the first to admit that if it wasn't for me he wouldn't have done so much.( although he does do the odd solo...)
Laters.
DTM.